Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > OpenEQ > OpenEQ::Development

OpenEQ::Development Development discussion for OpenEQ. Do not post for support.

Old 12-16-2004, 10:36 AM
MOG
Fire Beetle

Default OpenEQ compiling

Daeken, I think your project looks very nice so far. I downloaded the tarball at http://home.archshadow.com/~daeken/openeq.tar.bz2

I have a couple questions. Will you be providing VisualC++6/7 project files? How about MinGW, or XCode (Mac OS X)? I'm curious how cross-platform it really is.
So far it isn't compiling for me in MinGW (don't want to try cygwin, because of the dll thing). I haven't yet tried compiling it on my G5 Mac.

Anyway, good luck, and thanks for the effort.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:44 AM
daeken_bb
Discordant

Default Re: OpenEQ compiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOG
Daeken, I think your project looks very nice so far. I downloaded the tarball at http://home.archshadow.com/~daeken/openeq.tar.bz2

I have a couple questions. Will you be providing VisualC++6/7 project files? How about MinGW, or XCode (Mac OS X)? I'm curious how cross-platform it really is.
So far it isn't compiling for me in MinGW (don't want to try cygwin, because of the dll thing). I haven't yet tried compiling it on my G5 Mac.

Anyway, good luck, and thanks for the effort.
jbb ported the source to compile on windows not long ago and sent it to me. I have to merge it in still, and when I do, I'll post the source and such. I have been busy with life lately, so I haven't had time to work on OpenEQ, but I should be able to merge it soon.

Check out my deviantART page at http://daeken.deviantart.com/
Old 12-16-2004, 01:44 PM
MOG
Fire Beetle

I found it necessary to edit the makefile slightly as references to libs were incorrect for windows. In particular,

LINKOPTS=-lz -lopengl32 -lglu32 -lSDL -LSDL

But that wasn't enough to get it to compile.

Code:
$ make
g++  -g  src/pfs.o src/ter.o src/draw.o src/ddslib.o src/move.o src/matrix.o src/zon.o src/file.o src/octree.o src/frustum.o src/main.o -lz -lopengl32 -lglu32 -lSDL -LSDL  -o openeq
src/pfs.o(.text+0x252): In function `ZN9PFSLoader4OpenEP6_iobuf':
/openeq/src/pfs.cpp:74: undefined reference to `ntohl'
c:/MinGW/bin/../lib/gcc-lib/mingw32/3.2.3/../../../libmingw32.a(main.o)(.text+0x97):main.c: undefined reference to `WinMain@16'
make: *** [openeq] Error 1
By the way, I have noticed I posted this out of the support area by mistake, feel free to transfer the topic to where it is allowed. I apologise for the oversight.

MOG
Old 12-16-2004, 02:43 PM
Cisyouc
Demi-God

I created VC++ 6 workspaces for the win32 version...

You can try them.

Win32 Source: http://home.archshadow.com/~daeken/openeq_win32.zip

VC++ 6 Project Files: http://www.freepgs.com/csn/openeq_win32_vc6.zip
namespace retval { template <class T> class ReturnValueGen { private: T x; public: ReturnValueGen() { x = 0; }; T& Generator() { return x; }; }; } int main() { retval::ReturnValueGen<int> retvalue; return retvalue.Generator(); }
C++ is wonderful.
Old 12-16-2004, 03:44 PM
MOG
Fire Beetle

Thanks for the help. I downloaded your windows files and it builds. Unfortunately it crashes at launch, so I guess there is still work to be done to get it to run in Windows XP sp2?

After I typed that I looked again and it seems I could be missing a standard lib. The VC6 debugger accuses FREAD.c
I'll look into it.

By the way, it might be a good idea to sticky instructions for people who want to compile under windows, as I suspect there will be quite a few.
Old 12-17-2004, 12:06 AM
jbb
Hill Giant

If this is still the crappy "port" I did then it's hardcoded to load a particular zone file. Anguish.eqg I think from the working directory of the program. It may well crash if that file isn't there.
Old 12-17-2004, 05:08 AM
MOG
Fire Beetle

Unfortunately I cannot find that file, only anguish.txt

Changing the txt to eqg didn't help, either.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:26 AM
jbb
Hill Giant

Anguish.eqg is the zone file for one of the Omens of War zones. You'll need that expansion in order to have the file. The openeq as available so far only renders omens of war zones (because they have a different file format to the old zones)
Old 12-17-2004, 10:31 AM
MOG
Fire Beetle

Interesting. I bought EverQuest evolution a few months back and it had a lot of expansions. But not that one.

Is that expansion downloadable through the patcher somehow?

MOG
Old 12-17-2004, 10:45 AM
daeken_bb
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOG
Interesting. I bought EverQuest evolution a few months back and it had a lot of expansions. But not that one.

Is that expansion downloadable through the patcher somehow?

MOG
http://home.archshadow.com/~daeken/patch.html has all of the patcher files there (linked to the patch server, of course) so you can get anguish.eqg.gz from there, then gunzip it (or use winamp)

Old 12-17-2004, 02:05 PM
Cisyouc
Demi-God

Quote:
(or use winamp)
Winamp? The MP3 Player!?
namespace retval { template <class T> class ReturnValueGen { private: T x; public: ReturnValueGen() { x = 0; }; T& Generator() { return x; }; }; } int main() { retval::ReturnValueGen<int> retvalue; return retvalue.Generator(); }
C++ is wonderful.
Old 12-17-2004, 03:04 PM
daeken_bb
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisyouc
Quote:
(or use winamp)
Winamp? The MP3 Player!?
Erm, winzip... die :P

Old 12-18-2004, 05:21 AM
MOG
Fire Beetle

Thanks. This worked fine. I was able to load the zone and move around it with mouse and arrow keys. It gave me a better understanding of where OpenEQ is at right now. There is no gravity, no animation and no collision. So right now it is strictly a zone viewer but very interesting. What will be added next? Lights?
It might be a good idea to add some basic bounding boxes so you can move around a zone without going through walls.

I like the project, so far it looks competently made.

MOG
Old 12-18-2004, 05:48 AM
daeken_bb
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOG
Thanks. This worked fine. I was able to load the zone and move around it with mouse and arrow keys. It gave me a better understanding of where OpenEQ is at right now. There is no gravity, no animation and no collision. So right now it is strictly a zone viewer but very interesting. What will be added next? Lights?
It might be a good idea to add some basic bounding boxes so you can move around a zone without going through walls.

I like the project, so far it looks competently made.

MOG
Next thing I'm going to add is collision detection, then probably networking so we can get some basic stuff working, then animations (ugh.)

Old 12-18-2004, 05:53 AM
jbb
Hill Giant

That seems to be the way to go to me.
Having empty zones you could walk around in and at least render the other players as a red cube and let you chat to them would be a good milestone that would show nice progress to people too