Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 12-06-2014, 11:02 PM
Bytebait
Sarnak

Default Bots, source_views.sql and Local Login: Questions

I'm hoping somebody can clarify what the following are.

1: Bots: What are they and how can they be used.
2: source-views.sql mentions Mercs. Is this mercenaries, are they available?
3: Local Login. Is this just for troubleshooting? i.e. 127.0.0.0 server access only?

Thanks, I'm doing a clean install and want to make sure I understand what these are before committing.

Thanks!

((btw: this community has been super helpful and great. Thank you!))
Old 12-07-2014, 12:11 AM
Uleat
Developer

Bots are server-controlled npcs that present themselves as other clients to your client. Though, a true raid can not be formed by bots, large bot-only groups can be
created. With those groups, and the bots that you currently have within your own group, you can 'simulate' a raid..just without the raid flag - and everything
that goes with that. (They are almost almost identical to mercs, with the exception that you have more control over their gear and behavior.)

Trevius has recently updated some things in mercs, and I believe they are working correctly..but, I'll leave the final say to others. They are currently 'disabled' by
default in the database. By 'disabled,' I mean that you will have to manually change the class type of the 'Mercenary Liaisons' of the npc's to '71' from '1' to be able
to purchase them. Other settings in the `rule_values` table will need to be changed to enable purchasing them, as well as other behaviors.

Local login is usually in reference to a login server that you run yourself. It is not required that you do, and as such, the default setting in the eqemu_config.xml
file is to use the public login server.

If you choose to run your own login server, then you will need to follow one of the guides that instruct on the proper setup of a local login server. (Generally, the
localhost, aka. '127.0.0.1' address is used for solo play/development as the only computer that will have access to the server is the one that both hosts the server
and game itself.)

EDIT: A local login server can be configured for single computer, private lan, or public access. The guides should give more details on this.

Compilin' Dirty
Old 12-07-2014, 12:30 AM
Bytebait
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uleat View Post
Bots are server-controlled npcs that present themselves as other clients to your client. Though, a true raid can not be formed by bots, large bot-only groups can be
created. With those groups, and the bots that you currently have within your own group, you can 'simulate' a raid..just without the raid flag - and everything
that goes with that. (They are almost almost identical to mercs, with the exception that you have more control over their gear and behavior.)

Trevius has recently updated some things in mercs, and I believe they are working correctly..but, I'll leave the final say to others. They are currently 'disabled' by
default in the database. By 'disabled,' I mean that you will have to manually change the class type of the 'Mercenary Liaisons' of the npc's to '71' from '1' to be able
to purchase them. Other settings in the `rule_values` table will need to be changed to enable purchasing them, as well as other behaviors.

Local login is usually in reference to a login server that you run yourself. It is not required that you do, and as such, the default setting in the eqemu_config.xml
file is to use the public login server.

If you choose to run your own login server, then you will need to follow one of the guides that instruct on the proper setup of a local login server. (Generally, the
localhost, aka. '127.0.0.1' address is used for solo play/development as the only computer that will have access to the server is the one that both hosts the server
and game itself.)

EDIT: A local login server can be configured for single computer, private lan, or public access. The guides should give more details on this.
Perfect! Thanks a ton.