Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Bots

Development::Bots Forum for bots.

Old 05-15-2016, 02:05 PM
kartikeya200
Fire Beetle

Default My Wizard bot is a little obsessive

Not a particularly important issue in any respect, but I thought I'd mention it in case other people experience the same thing and it might indicate potential needed tweaking.

My wizard bot just wants to be helpful. She wants to cast all her buffs on everyone. That's pretty standard bot behavior. However, being a wizard, her two favorite buffs are pretty unimportant, especially when I hit the buff limit and have to start choosing which buffs to keep. But she just really, really, reeeeally thinks I need her buffs, all the time, forever, and if I don't let her land at least one of them she will stand there and spam her vision buff over and over and over again (this also happens if I add the buff to my blocked list). While annoying, especially with the sound effect and spell graphics constantly going off, the only actual gameplay effect this has is that she won't just sit down and med up.

What's funny is none of the other bot classes seem to have this issue. If they can't land a buff they simply wait until there's an open slot (and then fight over it, but hey). But my wizard bot is a hyperactive child who won't be satisfied until I'm running around with Vision Shift 24/7.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:33 AM
jaspen
Hill Giant

Unless something has changed recently, I have had this same behavior with all bots that try to cast. I agree that some bots do cast spells that are probably less desirable but overall this is a preference thing. I have edited some of my spells to correct this.

I need to look into stances because by default they appear to be designed for raid targets as a shaman will throw everything including the kitchen sink at a mob. For raids this is fine, for grouping, the shaman will be OOM in a couple of mobs. Not sure if stances fix this. If not, perhaps a feature set request would be to add in a raid and group stance with the database having raid and group flag columns for spells, or something to that affect.

The other problem you will run into, for example, is if a mob is immune to something, such as slow, they will continue to cast that spell over and over until the mob eats them. If there is not a unique message for immunity the only way to correct this is to add code that flags a mob forever or X amount of time after X number of resists. Obviously, all of this takes a lot of time programming.

With that, thanks for all the work you guys have put into designing the bots!