Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Misc > Misc::Off Topic

Misc::Off Topic Want to talk about something that has nothing to do with EverQuest or the emulator? Post here.

View Poll Results: Which browser is best?
Gecko-engine browsers (Mozillas, Netscapes) 39 70.91%
Internet Explorer 14 25.45%
Opera 0 0%
lynx 1 1.82%
konqueror 1 1.82%
galeon 0 0%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-04-2004, 05:33 PM
a_Guest03
Demi-God

Advantages of lynx:

Totally text-based. Insanely fast browsing. Relatively simple to use. Can access lynx from a terminal to surf websites from another PC even if all other browsers on your computer are broken.

Totally secure... Nobody spends time hacking console browsers.

Lynx fits on a floppy drive.

Operating system independent if set up on a remote computer.

Disadvantages of lynx:

No graphics whatsoever.

Advantages of Galeon:

Comes pre-installed on gnome. It's the default!
Multi-platform

Disadvantages of Galeon

Missing features that Mozilla has, such as DL manager, passwords, etc.

Advantages of Konqueror:

Comes pre-installed on KDE. It's the default!
Multi-platform

Disadvantages of Konqueror:

Same as Galeon

Advantages of Opera:

VERY stable

Disadvantages of Opera:

Costs $.

Advantages (?) of IE:

Comes with Microsoft's OSes. Views websites as "normal", according to MS users.

Disadvantages of IE:

Prone to all sorts of security hazards. Cannot be uninstalled. Not as feature-rich as mozilla (missing tabs, assorted managers, etc.)
Old 12-04-2004, 06:21 PM
Scorpx725
Discordant

Quote:
Can I get an amen from the choir??
Amen my brother!

He wont respond again with anything thats argue worthy, between my post and yours hes owned.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:28 PM
sotonin
Demi-God

Voting for firefox. sorry but as a webdesigner i've grown to hate IE. It's terrible about obeying standards and for this reason many sites that look great and are coded correctly look like shit on IE, until you perform certain hacks to make it look acceptable. Too many people put up with the shitty browser we need to spread the word, firefox is superior.
Old 12-05-2004, 05:26 AM
a_Guest03
Demi-God

Scorp, you had it right first - those two just don't seem to grasp the argumentative logic that you blasted at them.
Old 12-05-2004, 06:00 AM
Cisyouc
Demi-God

Firefox for the win!!
namespace retval { template <class T> class ReturnValueGen { private: T x; public: ReturnValueGen() { x = 0; }; T& Generator() { return x; }; }; } int main() { retval::ReturnValueGen<int> retvalue; return retvalue.Generator(); }
C++ is wonderful.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:42 PM
mysticalninjajesus
Banned

i read this whole thread and see no reason to download firefox. why would i install a second browser? its useless. waste of space. i already have one thats FASTER on windows, and can open websites i like to visit which firefox cannot. why would i install firefox? why would anyone? because there a tard who wants to be cool and anti M$. only reason i can think of. firefox has NO advantages exept making you feel leet. theres never any reason for a windows user to ever install it. its pointless. i know this one guy who uses firefox because his IE is so fucked up it wont even open. it crashs when you try. so i gave him firefox since he didnt want to format. thats really the only time firefox is usefull, when your an idiot and cannot take proper care of your computer. so someone tell me why installing firefox will be usefull or helpfull in ANY way.
Old 12-05-2004, 01:02 PM
Cisyouc
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticalninjajesus
i read this whole thread and see no reason to download firefox.
Can you read?
Quote:
why would i install a second browser? its useless. waste of space.
You obviously have not read the above posts, then.
Quote:
i already have one thats FASTER on windows, and can open websites i like to visit which firefox cannot.
I am 100% certain that Firefox is faster than Internet Explorer. I have used both for a good amount of time and my experience with Firefox has been 10x better.
Quote:
why would i install firefox? why would anyone? because there a tard who wants to be cool and anti M$.
Thats just ignorance at best.
Quote:
only reason i can think of. firefox has NO advantages exept making you feel leet.
Again, you're just being ignorant.
Quote:
theres never any reason for a windows user to ever install it. its pointless. i know this one guy who uses firefox because his IE is so fucked up it wont even open. it crashs when you try. so i gave him firefox since he didnt want to format. thats really the only time firefox is usefull, when your an idiot and cannot take proper care of your computer.
Why the hell do you think IE won't open? Duhh! Because IE is so fricked up the easiest adware and spyware is installed without your knowing.

-edit-
He's not an idiot because he didn't take care of his computer, he's an idiot because he didn't use firefox.
namespace retval { template <class T> class ReturnValueGen { private: T x; public: ReturnValueGen() { x = 0; }; T& Generator() { return x; }; }; } int main() { retval::ReturnValueGen<int> retvalue; return retvalue.Generator(); }
C++ is wonderful.
Old 12-05-2004, 01:09 PM
mysticalninjajesus
Banned

Quote:
IE is so fricked up the easiest adware and spyware is installed without your knowing.
only if you suck at windows.

Quote:
I am 100% certain that Firefox is faster than Internet Explorer. I have used both for a good amount of time and my experience with Firefox has been 10x better.
it says ie is faster on the mozilla website kthnx.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
why would i install firefox? why would anyone? because there a tard who wants to be cool and anti M$. only reason i can think of.
Thats just ignorance at best.
good idea, just say im being ignorant because you cant answer the question.
Quote:
Quote:
firefox has NO advantages exept making you feel leet.
Again, you're just being ignorant.
not accepting these statements as fact is ignorance
Old 12-05-2004, 04:35 PM
jammey97
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticalninjajesus
i read this whole thread and see no reason to download firefox
so someone tell me why installing firefox will be usefull or helpfull in ANY way.
I doubt it will be useful or helpful at all to you. You have already decided that you have no use for it, so why bother asking others to argue how useful it might be?

Regardless of what browser you prefer, having a choice is always a good thing. It pushes for adding useful features and removing useless ones.

Arguing that IE is better because it's preinstalled is no argument at all. Go buy a new PC, lots of software is preinstalled that many people don't use.

Personally, I use Firefox in Linux, Windows, and OS X. I like having all my bookmarks synchronized on all three platforms. Also having them in a single file makes backups much simpler. I'm not saying IE is horrible because it doesn't use a single bookmark file, it's just one of the small things in Firefox that makes me enjoy using it more than IE.

Oh, and IE used to come with Macintosh OS X, but since 10.3 Safari has been the default browser which is based on KHTML (Konqueror from KDE).

jam^

--------
Old 12-05-2004, 05:08 PM
a_Guest03
Demi-God

The only fast thing about IE I saw on the mozilla site was this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozilla Website
Now available in 26 languages, for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. “I suggest dumping Microsoft's Internet Explorer” — Walt Mossberg, Wall Street Journal.
Maybe you should listen to your government, who urge you to not fuck up your Winblows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozilla Website
Recent security failings in Internet Explorer have caused experts (Including the United States Department of Homeland Security's Computer Emergency Readiness Team) to recommend that consumers stop using Internet Explorer and switch to other browsers
View these websites to see why IE is unreliable, and why your friend can't load IE anymore.

http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/713878 and http://secunia.com/advisories/12048/

Read on about arbitrary code. If you log in with only one account, this amounts to being (as we say in linux) rooted. You are 100% hacked, and fall victim to whatever mercy the party redirecting you (only in IE) may have.

These are awesome. Read this:

Secunia Advisory: SA12048 Print Advisory
Release Date: 2004-07-13
Last Update: 2004-10-20

Critical:
Extremely critical
Impact: Security Bypass
Spoofing
System access
Where: From remote
Solution Status: Partial Fix

Hmmm, system access, from remote, with spoofing? Being rooted!? OH NO! Partial fix? Thank god! Extremely critical? Sounds dangerous!

I get these in the mail at school unsolicited all the time. What does this mean? I fix my friends' computers all the time because they have Windows and because they have IE.
Old 12-05-2004, 05:16 PM
Spike
Discordant

Why did people flame me right in the beginning of this post... i didnt even know this thread existed for a while...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpx725
Quote:
Reason: Default browser of all computers. If you pretend another one is better, then u have a messed up computer.
Can we ban him again for being retarded?
Can we ban you for flaming?
Old 12-05-2004, 05:20 PM
mattmeck

I like coke, no i like sprite, why do you like coke and not sprite? cause coke tastes better to me....Nono Sprite is better you make no sence......

Come on people not everyone likes the same thing and never will everyone. If someone dont like IE because fo the way it smells there aloud to because they have that right, and if someone else hates all other brousers other then IE simply because there *diferent* then he can.

Its all about opinion and just because someone dont agree with you dont mean there stupid and you are right....
Old 12-05-2004, 05:27 PM
a_Guest03
Demi-God

I don't care about sprite/coke/whatever. Claiming that sierra mist shouldn't exist because we have sprite would be silly

I'm just rebuking mnj's ignorant claim that IE is the best with some well-laid argumentative logic, and he's responding with more opinion. The fight is already over, but he keeps asking for more.
Old 12-05-2004, 05:45 PM
mattmeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Guest03
I don't care about sprite/coke/whatever. Claiming that sierra mist shouldn't exist because we have sprite would be silly
There is no spoon!
Old 12-05-2004, 05:51 PM
sotonin
Demi-God

Quote:
and can open websites i like to visit which firefox cannot.

say that again?? why exactly cant you open your websites you like to visit in firefox?

Obviously you have no clue about web design or what goes into making a webpage bbum. If you did you would know the frustration involved with IE not being standards compliant, thus requiring you to do numerous unsupported "hacks" just to get the page to show up correctly in it. Then again maybe you do, just an fyi microsoft frontpage doesn't count as a web-design program.