Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > OpenZone > OpenZone:: Q&A

OpenZone:: Q&A Support forum for OpenZone help

Old 07-03-2008, 04:46 PM
bazz701
Fire Beetle

Default Issue having my new zone(s) work

Let me start out saying that I hope I am mentioning this in the correct place.

So, ive been working on some new zone(s) for my emu, basically im creating a whole new continent for 100%custom weapon drops, mobs, and everything as I begin to change the entire world over to custom content (end goal is no original content (models) of any kind being taken from sony in any form.

My issue is that no matter what zone I use to test my newly created zone, once the game is loaded, and I load into the zone, it begins to load, and crashes. Ive looked to see if there are .eqg files taking presendece, but that would only mean that it would ignore my .s3d files. Ive tried replacing 8 different zones(powater, mira, guildlobby(i realised was .eqg), nexus, freportn, gfaydark, poknowledge, nektulos) to test my zone, and they all crash.

I used 3ds max 2008 to create my models, and textured correctly with custom textures from photoshop. I made sure the names of the texture(s) were no more then 8 characters. I also backed up all existing zone files, and when I use mine, the game crashes as it tries to load in.

On another note, I also reciently created my own set of weapons(swords, shields, and so on) and was able to import them properly and view them ingame by replacing gequip8. The issue arose here when I tried to zone while my GM had one of the custom items. He crashed and I had to go server side and remove the item from his inventory with the tools. (I forgot to mention that I did create items with the item editor, and have them the proper tag along with using the ITxxxx number for each item)

Any ideas why I can not use my custom content... or that it breaks apon zoning when it comes to weapons? Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated becuase I have spent a great deal of time creating a backstory and a bunch, 10 to 12 new zones as of right now, and i cannot seem to get even my first one working.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:40 AM
Scorpious2k
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazz701 View Post
I used 3ds max 2008 to create my models, and textured correctly with custom textures from photoshop. I made sure the names of the texture(s) were no more then 8 characters. I also backed up all existing zone files, and when I use mine, the game crashes as it tries to load in.
I'm not sure this is your problem, but the client has a problem with large placeable objects. They have to be made of very few polys. Under 1000 I think. Possibly even less.

What are they? Anything in the *_obj.s3d file. That would be anything that was originally a .msh file in most cases.

Another thing that drives the client to crash (or used to) is having something in the zone that doesn't have a texture. You can't just color it, you MUST have a texture on every poly.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:57 PM
bazz701
Fire Beetle

Thanks for the quick replay, ive been retexturing most of my zones ive made because many of them were just colored within 3ds Max 2008. I got the zones working now. The new weapon modles on the other hand still crash the game when i zone out of wherever zone i summon them in. Any ideas?

On another note, does openzone support particle effects yet? I wanna incorporate some new effects for weapons and spells.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:40 PM
Windcatcher
Demi-God

Are you putting the weapon models in your zone? If so, that's the problem. You would have to replace one of the gequip* files to add weapon models.

OpenZone doesn't support particle effects. I simply haven't had the time to reverse-engineer how the client does them, and I don't think the .WLD format supports them. If you mean spell effects, I haven't reverse-engineered those either. If I did, I wouldn't put that capability into OpenZone anyway. That sort of thing really calls for a separate program.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:49 PM
bazz701
Fire Beetle

I followed the steps for gequip replacement with my own files. My first 2 attempts thus far have allowed me to import some custom weapons, but once i zone out of the zone im in the game crashes. I am not yet using SC so .wld is still out of the question for a possible format. As for particle effects, I was mainly looking for weapon based particles. Ive had some time to mess around with both 3ds Max and Mia (Maia) which ever it is spelled, and I am a AutoCad and drafting expert (2 years mechanical engineer, 1 year architect, and about 6 years of AutoCad.). I cant say my renderings are the best out there... they arent, but my library is growing drastically as to what I have for models. Im just looking to basically recreate a new game from the gound up model and texture wise so that as SC gets developed more and more, I can eventually render my own game from scratch.

I cant seem to figure out why it crashes when I zone, and seeing as everything including the textures are within the parameters given within the forums, I am at a loss right now.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:20 PM
LordRathgil
Banned

Far as I know EQ Uses wld format inside the s3d files i dont think simple client uses them at all
Old 07-09-2008, 04:31 PM
bazz701
Fire Beetle

wow, my bad, wrong extension type, now i feel like an idiot posting, but my files that I do infact use, are in the correct format and yet they still cause a crash upon zoning. I ment rather then .wld being the correct format for eqemu. I dont use the .(extension) that does with SC just cause i havent gotten there yet.