Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 10:46 AM
surfbobo
Fire Beetle

Arrow Looking to assemble a small team of hobbyists for Classic server.

Howdy everyone,
As the title says, I am looking for a few individuals who have a casual availability for putting together a classic server. I am interested in hosting a Classic through Kunark, or maybe even Velious or Luclin, server. Time released progression, or as we finish content. Classic models, at least at the start, with classic EXP rates (but would be willing during beta/early stages of server to use 2x or 3x exp) I am interested in using the Titanium client, but am open to other options.
I need people who can take care of the technical side. Perhaps you have some coding skills, or other development skills. I cannot provide much help as of the moment with coding and/or technical skills. My knowledge of code ended in 7th grade computer class, but god damn it was I good at HTML
What I can bring to the table is financial support. I am willing to completely cover the cost of server rental, a web domain, and vBulletin forums for the server. I can probably handle the forums myself -- setting them up and running them. I will also help out with promotion. I have no interest in being a GM on the server, I prefer to be the player, but I will help out with development as much as I can. I am also willing to learn how to code/write quests, etcetera, if you are willing to teach.
If you are interested in a project like this, and can bring something to the table, please reply or send me a private message. I am just gauging interest at this point, and if there is none, then so be it!
Old 03-20-2019, 08:43 PM
merlock
Fire Beetle

I'm in. i can do most everything. I can't code but very little coding is needed really just database modification with heidisql and fixing up a client with old maps and things. if anyone is good at coding they can work on the boats and stuff.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:06 PM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlock View Post
I'm in. i can do most everything. I can't code but very little coding is needed really just database modification with heidisql and fixing up a client with old maps and things. if anyone is good at coding they can work on the boats and stuff.
100% wrong.

A ton of code needs to change to make a true-to-life classic server.

Not just boats.

Old 03-24-2019, 08:44 AM
merlock
Fire Beetle

Like what specifically? If you don't provide examples don't expect people to take that seriously. Working on a classic server is mostly a database exercise. Getting Mobs to stop hopping in Nektulos for example is done by just changing the name of the nektulos.map file in your EQEmuServer folder to nektulosb.map and changing nektulosa.map to nektulos.map. Fixing paw and lavastorm is just a matter of changing the database. Changing the loot and items is changing the database. Changing the quests is changing the database and some very simple changes in the EQEmuServer folder, doesn't even require compiling the server. Removing out of era spawns is as simple as using "#npcspawn delete" when targeting a mob. Disabling expansions and disabling tutorial zone is all database especially the rule values table.

Fixing boats requires changing server and/or client code as well. Getting the classic con system (removing light blue cons) will take modifying server and/or client side code.

Can't think of much else that requires actual coding. I think the most important skills to developing any server including classic is gm commands in game for quick development, and heidisql skills and some basic sql queries.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:37 PM
Darkscis
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlock View Post
Like what specifically? If you don't provide examples don't expect people to take that seriously.
In this case he is not wrong. Everything from the combat formulas through how stats are calculated needs to be revised and changed. Why exactly do you think P99 does not release it's source code? If all they had changed was working boats I'm sure they wouldn't mind releasing the source and just keeping their database private, no?

So many "classic" servers have been created with just database and script changes. None of them get a stable population because none of them are truly classic. If you want to join a team to create a classic server to rival P99 then go nuts, but don't blow smoke up the OPs arse by claiming he doesn't need much coding.

Now if he only wants "classic-like" then that is another matter entirely. His server can join the long line of classic like attempts. Maybe this one will last longer than 3 months. I'm betting not.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:18 PM
Uleat
Developer

OP - contact me if you would like this thread re-opened.

Compilin' Dirty
Closed Thread