Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 05:03 AM
Abraham
Fire Beetle

Default New repack for those new to eqemu

Didnt see this posted anywhere else around here, thought it might be useful for those new to eqemu

The creator of the axclassic repack, leslamarch, has recently made a new PEQ repack, working the same way as the axclassic repack

it can be located here: http://hotfile.com/list/1479528/bcdf630

(PEQ_Repack_1871.exe)

With that you should be able to get a fully functional peq server up and running easily. No need to download mysql, perl, etc.. everything is included in a single install with an easy to use GUI that you use to launch the server

You still will have to download the quests and maps yourself and make sure you move all the plugins from the quest folder into the server plugins folder and you MIGHT also have to download and run all the normal required SQL updates, im not sure about this as I havent had time to run this new repack myself yet

To do the above, follow the normal stickied server setup guide in the forums

If anyone needs help doing any of the above let me know
Old 02-27-2011, 01:06 PM
Secrets
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham View Post
Didnt see this posted anywhere else around here, thought it might be useful for those new to eqemu

The creator of the axclassic repack, leslamarch, has recently made a new PEQ repack, working the same way as the axclassic repack

it can be located here: *snip*

With that you should be able to get a fully functional peq server up and running easily. No need to download mysql, perl, etc.. everything is included in a single install with an easy to use GUI that you use to launch the server

You still will have to download the quests and maps yourself and make sure you move all the plugins from the quest folder into the server plugins folder and you MIGHT also have to download and run all the normal required SQL updates, im not sure about this as I havent had time to run this new repack myself yet

To do the above, follow the normal stickied server setup guide in the forums

If anyone needs help doing any of the above let me know
If this is the same repack that has the playercount hack in it, I advise not using it unless you want to be banned from the eqemu loginserver.

Use it at your own risk, you know the consequences. If you want to use this repack still I advise you use your own loginserver for it. Leaving link here this time, if it still has the playercount hack in it i'm removing it. I don't run random .exe's, and neither should you frankly, so i'll test it in a VM when I have time.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:20 PM
Huppy
Demi-God

Welcome to the forums Abraham I see you just joined today and already
you seem like such a knowledgeable and helpful person.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:22 PM
pfyon
Discordant

Well, since EQEmu is licensed under the GNU GPL v2, as per

Quote:
3. You may copy and distribute the Program (or a work based on it, under Section 2) in object code or executable form under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above provided that you also do one of the following:

a) Accompany it with the complete corresponding machine-readable source code, which must be distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange; or,
b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three years, to give any third party, for a charge no more than your cost of physically performing source distribution, a complete machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code, to be distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange; or,
c) Accompany it with the information you received as to the offer to distribute corresponding source code. (This alternative is allowed only for noncommercial distribution and only if you received the program in object code or executable form with such an offer, in accord with Subsection b above.)
you could always request the source code for the repack.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:52 PM
Caryatis
Dragon

You can do whatever you want with the source however that doesnt mean you are entitled to use the public login server(which is what secrets was referring to).
Old 02-27-2011, 03:05 PM
Fulcrum
Sarnak

Welcome to the Boards, Abe. Glad to have ya along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrets View Post
If this is the same repack that has the playercount hack in it, I advise not using it unless you want to be banned from the eqemu loginserver.
Now, I haven't used a repack lately so I have no evidence pointing in either direction...
perhaps I'm just a little dense, but is there proof positive that there's a hack involved
in these latest Leslamarchs repacks?

I mean, has there been any verification as to this... like finding the pre-packaged
hack in the program?

Using the data allowed me as well as a hefty helping of 'Occam's Razor', I've boiled
the problem down to the two most rational solutions, and one seems more rational than
the other.

1) A well-known person in the Emu community places a hack in program he/she
knows will go out to many people who will use the public servers, knowing it's got a
hack installed in it (And likely be traced back to his repack, 'tarnishing' his/her name?)

Or

2) A faceless somebody got caught using a hack and, to save their own bacon,
claimed it came from a publicly available, (and verifiable), repack.

This post isn't meant to start an argument or point fingers... I'm just voicing some
concern over what observations I've made and what little common sense I have
left to me in my old age. -and I've never been keen on 'Guilty until proven innocent'
sorta scenarios.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:54 PM
pfyon
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryatis View Post
You can do whatever you want with the source however that doesnt mean you are entitled to use the public login server(which is what secrets was referring to).
What I meant is, anyone is free to request the source of the repack and see if there exists a 'mod' to the login server code.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:14 PM
Dragonlord3344
Fire Beetle

Awesome, i've been lookin for this exact thing for offline and lan play, but i was wondering if you would beable to play it outside of lan without gettin banned..... but i prolly wont do it anyway thanks!
Old 02-28-2011, 12:50 AM
trevius
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
2) A faceless somebody got caught using a hack and, to save their own bacon, claimed it came from a publicly available, (and verifiable), repack.
I agree with this statement, Fulcrum. AX and/or Leslamarch should never have been accused of something without the reported hack being 100% confirmed first instead of taking it from hearsay. Even if one or more people reported it, I still wouldn't believe it until someone I trust had actually verified it. There is just absolutely no reason for them to add such a hack into a repack. The only reason to add a hack like that would be for an admin to false advertise their own server as having more players than it actually does.

Both of AX and Leslamarch deserve to be shown at least that much respect. They have both been around a long time and have each contributed back to the community for years. I surely don't agree with AX's childish response to the accusation, but the accusation shouldn't have been made in the first place without hard evidence, IMO.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:25 AM
Huppy
Demi-God

My previous post was more sarcasm than anything. Just a coincidence a
brand new member, with his first post, (an ad), but I personally think its too
much of a disadvantage using precompiles anyways, since you don't get the
updates as much.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:49 AM
Abraham
Fire Beetle

The only reason I posted this is to help people like myself who only recently began running a private eqemulator server. Ive been using eqemulator for a few months now and when I first tried to find what I needed to get started, every guide in these forums were extremely out of date and incompatible. Its much better now, but I wish I had something like this at the time, which is why I decided to post it here as a courtesy.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:54 PM
seratt
Fire Beetle

If anyone uses this repack, please reply with any results/observations.

I'm trying to get my first eqemu server running, for private uses, and am having some mysql problems. I feel something like this would help me get my foot in the door.

edit: wow. been here 3 years and this is my first post. lol
Old 03-01-2011, 03:26 AM
trevius
Developer

Code:
It is 2011, so you've been here for 4 years :P
Old 03-01-2011, 10:12 AM
seratt
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevius View Post
Code:
It is 2011, so you've been here for 4 years :P
You know, I do believe you may be right.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:13 PM
Fulcrum
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by seratt View Post
edit: wow. been here 3 years and this is my first post. lol

Lurker! Lurk-er!
Welcome into the limelight.
Closed Thread