Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Quests > Quests::Q&A

Quests::Q&A This is the quest support section

Old 06-20-2014, 12:32 AM
sklead
Sarnak

Default A few QUESTions

Okay, sorry for the pun, first of all... so I took a break from EQEmu for a while, but I'm getting my server back up and running. However quests aren't entirely working.

I noticed that the quest folder has some .pl files and some .lua files. When I create a quest and save it as a .pl or .lua file the NPC doesn't respond, period. If I take one of the .pl files already in the folder and rename it to match my NPC it also doesn't work. However if I take one of the .lua files and rename it, it works, but the text within looks a lot different from what I remember, namely like this:

Code:
function event_say(e)
	if(e.message:findi("hail")) then
		e.self:Say("Hail, fellow adventurer. Are you from Qeynos?");
	end
end
Is there a guide about writing quests in this format, or am I doing something wrong doing it the old way? By which I mean this:

Code:
sub EVENT_SAY {
  if ($text=~/hail/i) {
    quest::say("Hello, friend. Beautiful is what I would call such a day normally but lately?");
  }
  if ($text=~/your eyes/i) {
    quest::say("Yes. I cannot see any longer, my sight long since lost in the march of years. By the blessings of Tunare and Karana, though, I still make myself useful.");
  }
}
Old 06-20-2014, 04:18 PM
Uleat
Developer

If there is a <mob>.lua and a <mob>.pl file in the same folder, the lua file always takes precedence.

https://github.com/EQEmu/Server/wiki/Lua-Parser is a good start for lua quest writing

Compilin' Dirty
Old 06-20-2014, 06:48 PM
sklead
Sarnak

I've tried deleting a .lua file and creating a .pl file, but it still doesn't work. After searching through the forms some people mentioned a lua51.dll file and perl512.dll file. I have the lua51.dll but I couldn't locate a perl512.dll, so I figured that would be the problem. However, I downloaded the file, put it in the same location as the lua51.dll, created a new mob and wrote a simple quest and saved it as a .pl and it still wouldn't work. I'm getting more familiar with the .lua format, but I just find it easier to write in .pl.