Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:53 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

Default I may speak for a few

This DDOSer really needs to get a life (It may or may not be always the case). I'm pretty sure the data-center just wrote off my IP via the Loginserver port and I believe many other people as well. Although I can access the site, I'm pretty sure the LS port wrote my IP off. To reiterate, Secrets can get on just fine at the same time I attempt.

Although it does take a while to get back on track it finally works, so those of you having the same issue just keep trying, but try in 4-5 minute intervals to help yourself from not getting nailed.

I did get a few random PM's asking me about this so I'd figure I would post this for those having issues, and I have noticed floods of 30-50 people popping in to wonder whats going on.

Keep trying but don't flood it with ques. Keep your intervals longer than every second please.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:35 AM
blackdragonsdg
Dragon

Did someone DDoS your server? Or is that why this site was down yesterday afternoon?

If DDoS attacks keep happening then someone needs to look at investing in a hardware firewall, a simple relatively inexpensive one would stop dos and ddos attacks dead in there tracks. Even a decent software firewall can mitigate the effect of such attacks.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:07 AM
Taurinus
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragonsdg View Post
Did someone DDoS your server? Or is that why this site was down yesterday afternoon?

If DDoS attacks keep happening then someone needs to look at investing in a hardware firewall, a simple relatively inexpensive one would stop dos and ddos attacks dead in there tracks. Even a decent software firewall can mitigate the effect of such attacks.
No offense but a firewall (hardware or otherwise) does nothing to mitigate DDoS attacks. The very nature of the login server (and basically any other type of public server) requires that ports be open to any number of clients from a totally unknown range of IPs. You might be thinking "well, the firewall could close the port during an attack at least". You're right, and that's exactly what a DDoS attacker wants you to do.

If anything, a software firewall would only compound the problem by helping the packets spike the CPU. Do you honestly think such an "obvious" solution is being overlooked by the administration?
Old 03-01-2010, 05:34 PM
Amphitryon
Fire Beetle

/tinfoil hat on

Part of me sometime wonders if SOE is above clandestine payment to some botnet operators to hassle emu servers (cause the same thing happens with SWGEmu from time to time). If for no other reason to generate FUD (fear, uncertainty, and doubt) abotu using private servers as opposed to their servers).

Its true, they may not have a leg to stand on in a court as far as trying to cliam EULA violations, but if one thinks a company is above some guerilla warfare on the side to protect its IP/assets, then one may be in for a rude awakening.

/tinfoil hat off

or it could be some 'bored' botnet operators loking to greif people, but folks dont assemble those botnets out of boredom, too many of them are operated 'for profit', for their own, and for whoever hired them to use the botnet.

So, who would 'profit' from EQEmu being deluged by DDOS attacked? SOE plain and simple. All other means SOE has tried to employ over the years to make EQEmu (along with MacroQuest, and ShowEQ) to go away have failed and SOE wont risk losing a court fight (that would set precedent against ALL MMO operators if a defendant won).

hey it could be the work of some oversealous SOE employee for all we know, hehe it could even be Brad McQuaid for all we know. (those Verant folks really hated emu efforts).
Old 03-01-2010, 05:49 PM
rcosner
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amphitryon View Post
hey it could be the work of some oversealous SOE employee for all we know, hehe it could even be Brad McQuaid for all we know. (those Verant folks really hated emu efforts).
Everquest has become so perverted with the last few expansions, Brad is probably playing on, or secretly donating to the Project 1999 server as we speak.