Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 04:35 PM
Saramin
Fire Beetle

Default PEQ server

I'm currently on the classic server and was considering switching over to LDoN.

I played back in the day through PoK, GoD, OoW, etc. and was just wondering a few things:

How far is the progression through PoK?
Do people multi box?
How is the server maintenance?
Is LDoN as far is things will go in terms of expansions?

Any info would be awesome,

Thanks.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:25 PM
EqTitan
Sarnak

Give us a try at EqTitan server. We are up to Gates of Discord expansion atm. Our population is low still since you have to scroll down to see us. Hoping to get preferred server status sometime soon tho, we have 50 - 100 on most days.

[EQT] EQTitan [ PoP / LDoN / GoD]
Old 04-07-2010, 08:22 PM
trevius
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saramin View Post
I'm currently on the classic server and was considering switching over to LDoN.

I played back in the day through PoK, GoD, OoW, etc. and was just wondering a few things:

How far is the progression through PoK?
Do people multi box?
How is the server maintenance?
Is LDoN as far is things will go in terms of expansions?

Any info would be awesome,

Thanks.
Yeah, PEQ is a great server and is one of the oldest servers in the list, so you know it is going to be around for a long time. Currently, I think they are up through LDoN in content, and still working to finalize things before moving onto the next expansion.

I think server resets are daily to keep lag at a minimum. There is a large player-base, which is great for playing on a Live-Like server. Many people multi-box there, and there isn't currently a limit, but they may add a limit sometime in the future.

I believe the player-base there is really friendly and helpful for the most part and the admins/GMs are really great people from the ones I know. The owner of the server, Cavedude, is one of the most respected members of the EQEmu community IMO.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:48 PM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

PEQ is the #1 server on Emu, as its a heart and foundation base of ENTIRE Emu and the first place all the new developments takes place.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:26 PM
rcosner
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosSlayerZ View Post
PEQ is the #1 server on Emu, as its a heart and foundation base of ENTIRE Emu and the first place all the new developments takes place.

I play on PEQ and don't intend on moving, but perhaps you could answer the question then of how these other servers can just "turn on" LDON and GoD content, where on PEQ it has to be developed? I am guessing there is something important being missed on these other servers like drops or pathing or something, or LDoN is broken and they don't care?

What am I missing?
Old 04-09-2010, 08:36 PM
Secrets
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcosner View Post
I play on PEQ and don't intend on moving, but perhaps you could answer the question then of how these other servers can just "turn on" LDON and GoD content, where on PEQ it has to be developed? I am guessing there is something important being missed on these other servers like drops or pathing or something, or LDoN is broken and they don't care?

What am I missing?
Other servers can choose to 'turn on' the content, but it is in no way in a 'finished' state. Yes, it may be playable, but it certainly isn't finished.

The reason why PEQ doesn't release GoD and LDoN content now is because it isn't polished, and releasing GoD now would screw up the order. One thing at a time, y'know?
Old 04-09-2010, 09:51 PM
dragos56
Fire Beetle

I play on Eqtitan and while there are some pathing issues in 10% of ferubi, the other 90% is well done and playable. But without it being in the game you cant correct it and the eqtitan coders are madmen right now and are making some incredible content. The rest of the released GoD content released is on par with all the pop stuff on Peq. So dont assume because Peq doesnt have it, doesnt mean the other servers content isnt quality. Eqtitan also fixed beastlord doubleattack in its first week while in the 2 years i played peq, was never touched...

Peq is a great standard to judge but its not the only server that is developing incredible content.

Outside of that, Peq is ok but I stay at Eqtitan because its hardware and stability and even the content currently is better.

Our coder isnt as famous as CD but he is incredibly talented and it shows everyday with the improvements that are made daily.

This isnt a bash Peq post, i have all the respect in the world for what cd and the server have done and been for me but.. like i said they are the measure in which all others will be judged, where better or for worse.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:08 PM
MNWatchdog
Hill Giant

Well if there's so many code improvements, why don't they post them so everyone can integrate them?

And before you go declaring the EQTitan crew have created the whole Emu project, maybe you should check out the change log for the project and maybe you'll get some perspective on how little they've done compared to pretty much anyone.

http://code.google.com/p/projecteqemu/updates/list

And all that content you're so excited about was largely created by the PEQ folks.

EQTitans are ants on the shoulders of giants.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:32 PM
dragos56
Fire Beetle

Relax buddy, i was just making a point to the guy saying "things can be open but that they arent polished or worth playing" I know i'm not wording him correctly.

I give full respect to Peq but its not the only game in town or only ones making improvements is all. RELAX, BREATHE, CD KLS and everyone else that have made the strides that others are using now are incredible and respected. But dont discount any other server not named peq or doubt their content.

Now i cant speak for other servers as i've just played PeQ and Eqtitan and some little private deals with crazy rules and gameplay but...

You're right though, CD,KLS..whoever else are giants.... But dont discount a server starting to do great things as well. As far as sharing code... i'm sure they will as they develop it and polish it.. In the mean time, breathe, chill and quit over reacting to a post that just wanted to say the content doesnt have to be garbage if Peq didnt develop it. thats it.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:25 AM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragos56 View Post
I play on Eqtitan and while there are some pathing issues in 10% of ferubi, the other 90% is well done and playable. But without it being in the game you cant correct it and the eqtitan coders are madmen right now and are making some incredible content. The rest of the released GoD content released is on par with all the pop stuff on Peq. So dont assume because Peq doesnt have it, doesnt mean the other servers content isnt quality. Eqtitan also fixed beastlord doubleattack in its first week while in the 2 years i played peq, was never touched...

Peq is a great standard to judge but its not the only server that is developing incredible content.

Outside of that, Peq is ok but I stay at Eqtitan because its hardware and stability and even the content currently is better.

Our coder isnt as famous as CD but he is incredibly talented and it shows everyday with the improvements that are made daily.

This isnt a bash Peq post, i have all the respect in the world for what cd and the server have done and been for me but.. like i said they are the measure in which all others will be judged, where better or for worse.
That GoD content is mostly ours (PEQ's.) Just because it isn't open on PEQ doesn't mean it isn't ready to be played. It's on par with PoP because Angelox, Jaekob, myself, and other members of the team all had a hand in developing it. Funny I didn't see our names mentioned.

That double attack fix you're using? Is here: http://www.projecteq.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9726 I've put it on PEQ, but it won't go into the SVN. Why? No offense to Reno (who is a talented and key member of the EQEmu community) but it isn't the correct way to do it. It's a temporary fix. In fact, I read your changelog, all the code you have "fixed" can either be found on the EQEmu or PEQ forums, but have not been added to the SVN because it doesn't meet our quality standards for whatever reason. Your developers didn't fix any thing, others on the forums did and I did not see any of their names mentioned.

The reason I am making this post? I am sick and tired of leeches making claim to work done by others and not giving a single damn thing back to the community. Your server does both. Not to mention you hijack posts that have nothing to do with you. The original poster asked about PEQ, not EQLeech. I can't believe you had the balls to ask for green status.

Edit: Removed the attack on raid choice. That was more a flame than an opinion and I apologize for that. The rest stays though.

Last edited by cavedude; 04-10-2010 at 12:51 AM.. Reason: Removed flame.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:04 AM
dragos56
Fire Beetle

1. didnt mean to hijack, the 2 posts before my first one was the only thing i was commenting on. The subject of the post kinda swayed to content and not so much PeQ.

2. I'm not a programmer, i dont know who does what. All i know is what works and the God content on some of the other servers does work and works pretty well given how new it is. Your code or not... it works (that was the only point)

3. Cavedude, you've always been cool with me. Really not sure why this is such a sensitive issue.

Someone said things get put out without being polished or playable, while i agree that there is need for polishing in a few zones released. Thats the whole point of this whole project isnt it.

I never once meant to not give credit to all you guys. Pretty sure i gave you guys props all day long in my posts. People are going to build upon your work, they are going to have the same hobbies and interests as you guys. They may even be really good at it; we gonna assume they are all leechs because they benefit from the foundations which you guys laid?

Green status?

This is my last post as its unnecessary to continue. Take 2 things from my post.

Sorry for the unintended hijack and you guys have given tremendous gifts to this project.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:59 AM
Secrets
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragos56 View Post
People are going to build upon your work, they are going to have the same hobbies and interests as you guys. They may even be really good at it; we gonna assume they are all leechs because they benefit from the foundations which you guys laid?
PEQ has a database readily available for everyone. They're continuing to take submissions from the community, and because one person wants to make improvements without contributing back to the project... that just seems unreasonable to me.

I'm not saying everything should be open-source, but if you are using content and building content on the same goals that PEQ lives by, you should at least submit content to PEQ and help them out instead of making your own closed database project.

As for communities, you are entitled to make your own community, it's just frowned upon deeply when you take and take and take and never give back to the community that helped you get your database populated for the most part.

As for me? I personally don't contribute my custom content back to PEQ because it doesn't fit the live-like goals of ProjectEQ, and EQEmu for that matter. They would have no need for it, and it wouldn't be accepted into SVN. That's why I made my own googlecode page with my own code and merge what I feel is needed. And that way, they can check my page and say, "Oh, Secrets did it that way, that's a better way to code that than I did! Let's use it.", not "Oh, I'm totally gonna steal that idea from Secrets! I hate that rival coding project!"

It's just when two people are doing the same work for different projects and those two projects don't share with each other is when I, and likely many others, get upset. I hope I don't come off as aggressive, but that's how I feel.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:34 AM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

dragos56: My post was entirely directed at the server's developers. The hijack I was more concerned with was the second post by EqTitan. I used your post to reply as a jumping off point to touch on some subjects. If you have nothing to do with the server other than as a player, then I wholeheartedly apologize for the confusion.
Closed Thread