Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Development

Development::Development Forum for development topics and for those interested in EQEMu development. (Not a support forum)

Old 06-24-2013, 05:25 AM
Tyen05
Discordant

bumped, & saved for reference
Old 08-10-2013, 08:13 AM
Dimorge02
Fire Beetle

I'd be interested in helping. If anything for fun
Old 08-11-2013, 10:05 AM
provocating
Demi-God

Quote:
I'd be interested in helping. If anything for fun
Same here. I do C# at my day job.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:16 PM
Zathule
Fire Beetle

As the server is already working, we as a community might be better served with a stable C# client.

This would give as a path to be free of any SoE code. Then as a community we could build our own world(s). Open source server, client open up open source lore, open source zones, etc...

Just a thought.....
Old 03-22-2014, 10:58 PM
Tyen05
Discordant

If we had a C# way to Login to an eqemu server and send/receive 1 opcode, I can put Everquest in Unity and run it in a Browser.

I very much would like a C# pal.

I wrote up some dildo text to kind of explain the process and have a C# prototype to get someone started.

http://eqbrowser.com/help/
Old 03-23-2014, 05:51 PM
rhyotte
Hill Giant

Seems a bit Windows centric... would prefer a more neutral language, and easy Linux portability.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:06 PM
squevis667
Fire Beetle

If it is Unity and browser based, it should run on Apple, Linux, and PC. You would not need WINE or anything else to run it. Where this really gives you payback is people with custom servers could even have custom clients supporting their mods, etc. It would be OS neutral.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:24 AM
moofta
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyotte View Post
Seems a bit Windows centric... would prefer a more neutral language, and easy Linux portability.
This is a common and understandable misconception. C# is just a programming language, and is not bound to any OS in particular. At work one team runs a C# server on embedded Linux

Unity uses C# running on Mono, which runs on Mac OSX, BSD, Linux and Windows ( and actually way more like iPhone and the PS3) http://www.mono-project.com/What_is_Mono ).

The original implementation of the C# language runs on Microsoft's .Net, which *is* Windows bound. The Mono implementation does lack some of the libraries, but the parity is way better now than it was a few years ago. I ran their compatability tool versus some of our server code at work and there weren't any real issues at all.

I can write C++, but my day job is writing (pretty busy) servers in C#. It's much quicker to take a product to market with C# than C++, and there is a much bigger pool of C# developers to hire than C++ (at least here in the UK).

On the other hand, there's no point reinventing the wheel, and I would rather contribute to the C++ server than duplicate effort. Additionally, C++, when written correctly, has a much smaller footprint and better utilisation of resources - and a lot of the EQEmu servers are pretty low powered in the scheme of things (at least compared to corporate machines), so reducing a few CPU cycles and using less RAM *is* important.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:01 PM
Tyen05
Discordant

I'm basically keeping the server C++ and having the CLIENT be C#

Also, like Moofta said, the EQBrowser Unity client runs on ALL platforms: Linux, mac, PC, android, ios, xbox, ps4, and Web Player.

Null added our C# networking prototype to a fresh Unity project so we can try and build the networking part of the client. It's separate from the main build so the focus can be on point.

It's still shit, but it's a start.

https://github.com/eqbrowser/Network...Unity-to-Eqemu
Old 06-07-2017, 04:01 PM
lakedoo23
Sarnak

Sorry to necro this thread, did anyone ever start the C# port?

I am about to start this project unless someone has already done it. I was thinking about using IronPython for the script engine vs Lua unless there are some major objections. Keeping the MySQL database. I was going to also change the IP setup information to a table in the database vs an XML file.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:06 AM
fzzzty
Fire Beetle

I've considered doing this also, actually, including again just a few days ago.

It sounds like I would go in a different direction with it but maybe we can share pieces and/or split the work up. I don't really know the code base well at all though at this point so I'm not sure if/how it could be divvied up.

I assume that the most important part would be to convert the protocol and networking into its own class library (or libraries). Like I said though I dunno how this is wired up per-character/client/etc. to know how eventing or whatever works currently and how it should work in .NET-land.

The eqbrowser link to the networking code seems to be dead, unfortunately.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:25 AM
Vexyl
Hill Giant

OP posted link on first page: https://github.com/jasoncoding/EqEmulator-net
Old 06-11-2017, 01:19 PM
fzzzty
Fire Beetle

Oops I never even noticed this was page two, thank you.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:40 PM
pharone1
Sarnak

The last commit was over 6 years ago on github. I'm assuming this project is dead right?