Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Misc > Misc::Off Topic

Misc::Off Topic Want to talk about something that has nothing to do with EverQuest or the emulator? Post here.

Old 11-14-2004, 01:31 PM
Melwin
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Sprite
not according to my economics textbooks.
your economics textbooks are clearly outdated
Old 11-14-2004, 01:53 PM
mysticalninjajesus
Banned

what if baron replies and tells you its the 2004 edition? THEN WHAT WILL YOU DO MELWIN!?!?!? OMG U BE DONE FORE
Old 11-14-2004, 02:41 PM
Melwin
Fire Beetle

the CIA trumps his stupid books anyway
Old 11-14-2004, 03:40 PM
m0oni9
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticalninjajesus
m0oni9 i have a question for you.. how is it you can watch aqua teen hunger force and never of smoked weed in your life?
I was spanked with moon rocks until I became submissive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melwin
What if the majority suddenly decided the minorities were no longer allowed to voice their opinions, or vote? What if the majority decided that dissent was no longer allowed?
Aren't some of the "minority" claiming that the "majority" is doing this right now? What is happening? You tell me.

This is such an ambiguous question in the first place. It is more of a FUD type of scenario than anything else. Example: What if the minority tomorrow decided on a physical assault on the majority?
Old 11-14-2004, 10:21 PM
Baron Sprite
Dragon

latest edition, I'll take fiscal analysts word over the WMD IN IRAQ word
Old 11-15-2004, 01:55 AM
Melwin
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0oni9
Aren't some of the "minority" claiming that the "majority" is doing this right now? What is happening? You tell me.

This is such an ambiguous question in the first place. It is more of a FUD type of scenario than anything else. Example: What if the minority tomorrow decided on a physical assault on the majority?
Strawman. Whether or not any minority is claiming anything is irrelevant to the core of this argument. But nice try.

There's nothing ambiguous about it in the first place, but let me clarify. Imagine this scenario: A law is passed that says, in legalese, "Only white Christians may vote".

The physical assault scenario is another strawman. Stick to the argument.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:59 AM
mattmeck

a law like that wont ever pas in todays society, so your arguement is hard to debate.

If a law saying only white Christians could vote i would be a General in the revolution!!!!
Old 11-15-2004, 04:35 AM
m0oni9
Hill Giant

Quote:
Strawman. Whether or not any minority is claiming anything is irrelevant to the core of this argument. But nice try.
My point by showing my ridiculous example was to show the ridiculousness of your example. From my vantage point, you are evading the original question of whether a majority should rule or not by constructing these false scenarios. A straw man attempts to change the appearance of the opposing argument. If the original question was "should majority rule?" then I do not think that I am the one constructing straw men here, especially when you draw on biases, like the following:

Quote:
There's nothing ambiguous about it in the first place, but let me clarify. Imagine this scenario: A law is passed that says, in legalese, "Only white Christians may vote".
Only because I hate unanswered questions, I will reply to this.

First we assume that there is majority support this law. By the same token, we also assume that there is a minority which opposes the law. We also assume that somehow this law was passed.

If you are asking what will happen, I will say that I can only make the assumption that the law will be revoked. I will admit, it is hard for me to argue against a point with such false premises.

It is already clear that the majority has made poor decisions in the past. I am sure that they will in the future. I must ask my original question again. How can we better govern if not by a majority? I never said or implied that the majority opinion should not be questioned.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:06 AM
Melwin
Fire Beetle

How will this law be revoked if the minorities no longer have a say?
Old 11-15-2004, 07:25 AM
m0oni9
Hill Giant

Quote:
How has it happened in the past? I am sure the same factors that have shaped things like equal rights would come into play.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:34 AM
Daeath
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0oni9
Quote:
How has it happened in the past? I am sure the same factors that have shaped things like equal rights would come into play.
Exactly - women have become property holders, segregation (except the confederates) has been abolished, Apple Mac's are slowly becoming paper holders...

Thru the right of public speech, public demonstration, etc. the minority has been able to shape the majority's views - a freedom granted by both the Constitution and the spilt blood of the majority. But its still the majority rules - doesn't mean its the 'right' choice or the 'best', but its the best setup we have.

M0oni9, will you father my next child? :lol:
Old 11-15-2004, 09:08 AM
Melwin
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daeath
Exactly - women have become property holders, segregation (except the confederates) has been abolished, Apple Mac's are slowly becoming paper holders...

Thru the right of public speech, public demonstration, etc. the minority has been able to shape the majority's views - a freedom granted by both the Constitution and the spilt blood of the majority. But its still the majority rules - doesn't mean its the 'right' choice or the 'best', but its the best setup we have.

M0oni9, will you father my next child? :lol:
Ah, but that's where it gets funny.

Since the majority holds absolute power, they can also outlaw public speech, public demonstrations and every kind of dissent imaginable. Even a 51% majority, according to m0oni, should be able to do this.

The fact that the US managed to pull out of the minority oppression doesn't mean that it will always happen, or even that it happens most of the time. As person of some reknown proved in the '30s.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:52 AM
Cisyouc
Demi-God

/applaud m0oni9
namespace retval { template <class T> class ReturnValueGen { private: T x; public: ReturnValueGen() { x = 0; }; T& Generator() { return x; }; }; } int main() { retval::ReturnValueGen<int> retvalue; return retvalue.Generator(); }
C++ is wonderful.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:28 PM
m0oni9
Hill Giant

Quote:
Since the majority holds absolute power, they can also outlaw public speech, public demonstrations and every kind of dissent imaginable. Even a 51% majority, according to m0oni, should be able to do this.
We're going back and forth at this point. By this reasoning, I could say that you want the minority to have power to silence the majority, and power to create the laws of the land.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:06 PM
Baron Sprite
Dragon

Quote:
too bad women get paid less on average and are hired less on average... seems to still be in effect to me