Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 12:22 AM
Tharkun
Hill Giant

are you running eq in XP compatability mode?
Old 09-30-2009, 05:23 PM
chushque7
Fire Beetle

Yes, I have tried right clicking the shortcut and trying different compatablity modes. One normal attempt to play i got a blue screen(hardware error) before it reset. Odd thing is that other programs work fine.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:03 AM
Speedz
Hill Giant

Ok, after a long annoying run with this issue, and making a launch util to set affinity and utilize easy host editing, nothing has worked period.

I have figured out "what" is happening, but I can't seem to find the cure.

My specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo (centrino2)
4gb ram
Nvidia 9800m 1gb
Windows 7 build 7100 (I have tried 32 and 64 bit no difference)

I have determined it is not my internet as other systems (AMD based) run fine and a Intel Core solo based system with a crap intel vid card and 1gb ram running xp with no tweaks at all. It works well, just heats up too much running EQ.

I have also determined it is not due to anything not set according to everyone's posts here.

It is also not a result of the client version, as both SOF and Titanium do it equally and regardless of if I set core affinity or not.

What I have discovered is that when I seem to run (movement in game) normally my CPU clock is max and when I am in slow motion the CPU is throttling to about half.

I have set my power management in windows to not do CPU power saving, but it doesn't change anything. My bios does not have a power save setting, so that fix doesn't apply either or at least it's not enabled for the user to change.

So, what I "think" is the issue for those that can't get anything to work (myself included), is that we need to force CPU clock to max. So either I am using the wrong search strings or it just doesn't exist, but I can't find how to force this in windows 7. I know it can be forced in Linux, but this laptop isn't easily linux ready (some drivers just don't exist yet mainly wireless).

So on this note, if anyone knows of a trustworthy utility or windows tweak to do this, please speak up.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:31 AM
colemantis441
Fire Beetle

I tried all of the above, even doing some other things not listed such as updated all video drivers, updating my bios, etc. Nothing worked.

But, I finally figured it out and I hope my solution will help others with the same problem.

Try updating directx. You might think you don't need to because you have the latest version (version 10), but you can install the latest components for version 10 at their website.

Fixed everything for me. Simple as that.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:07 PM
colemantis441
Fire Beetle

Nevermind. It just happened to work flawlessly after I upgraded directx to tease me and give me hope. Now the problem is back.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:09 PM
Speedz
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemantis441 View Post
Nevermind. It just happened to work flawlessly after I upgraded directx to tease me and give me hope. Now the problem is back.
Could you test something for me.

Get this utility http://cpu.rightmark.org/products/rmclock.shtml and test what the throttle vs core clock are when you have your slow motion moments vs when it runs fine.

Basically see if you can duplicate my findings. When I am not experiencing slow motion both core clock and throttle matched. When I have the slow down the throttle is half of core clock.

Also ANYONE that can't seem to find a fix please do this as well and post findings.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:05 PM
Tylier
Fire Beetle

I have done everything that this thread has listed and nothing has worked. It doesn't crash or anything it just flickers and quits after I double click on the short cut. It does not give any type of message, but it just suddenly quits the program after it flickers twice.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:54 PM
cybernine186
Sarnak

I haven't read all of these posts by everyone but have you tried downloading the CPU drivers from the manufacture? I had the same issue and I run AMD Dual core (black edition, overclocked) and after I installed some of AMD's utilities and CPU driver it worked just fine without ANY other settings or software.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:04 PM
trevius
Developer

Tylier, normally that problem is caused by desktop or EQ resolution settings. The FAQ in my sig mentioned resolution issues briefly. Basically, you need to try adjusting the resolution of your deskop to something normal like 1024X768, and get EQ working and then adjust your resolutions again once it is working to something more play-able. You might also need to adjust your eqclient.ini file res settings.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:13 PM
Tylier
Fire Beetle

the res setting dont fix the problem but i am currently trying to see if I can upgrade drivers
Old 11-21-2009, 05:12 PM
MrMaggot
Fire Beetle

Ok. I have tried everything I can think of but am still having no luck. My client crashes when I zone sometimes and often crashes after selecting my character. Also, the models are freezing up and there are no animation movements. I've updated the cpu drivers, ran in SP3 compatability mode, and tried run first. All of them produce the same results. Any ideas?

Compaq Presario F750US
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor
1 Gig Ram
Windows 7
Old 12-23-2009, 05:09 AM
Xalander
Fire Beetle

hey guys, i've ran EQemu for about a month, was working very well. And then my hard drive blew and i lost all my things, got it back yesterday and installed video card driver,sound driver,all windows update. When i try to open EQ now screen goes black, arrow changes to gold and it takes me back to desktop without any error notice. I've tried all the things on wiki and in the forums and it still doesn't work. Running AMD turion laptop dual core 2.2ghz 4gb of ram windows vista 64 bit. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thx
Old 12-23-2009, 02:57 PM
nosfentora
Discordant

have you tried lowering either the desktop resolution and/or the eq resolution? Was your EQ install on the drive that died? If you ran it on another drive, you might need to re-install it.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:51 AM
Xalander
Fire Beetle

i've already tried changed desktop resolution, couldn't change eq resolution ,cant find the file to change it. I've reinstalled eq titanium 3 times already...
Old 12-24-2009, 08:46 AM
antioch
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xalander View Post
i've already tried changed desktop resolution, couldn't change eq resolution ,cant find the file to change it. I've reinstalled eq titanium 3 times already...
You can change the resolution externally by browsing to your EQ root folder and running OptionsEditor.exe or manually editing EQClient.ini;

Code:
[VideoMode]
Width=1280
Height=1024
WidthWindowed=1280
HeightWindowed=1024
WindowedWidth=1280
WindowedHeight=1024
FullscreenBitsPerPixel=32
FullscreenRefreshRate=0
To your preferred settings.
Closed Thread