Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:15 AM
below9k
Fire Beetle

Whats so bad about Texas? we are doing much better than any other state at this time. Colorado second
Old 08-28-2010, 04:01 AM
Fatboy5706
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by below9k View Post
Whats so bad about Texas? we are doing much better than any other state at this time. Colorado second
you gave us george bush

Old 08-28-2010, 04:59 AM
badplayer
Sarnak

Old 08-28-2010, 10:33 AM
Crion
Fire Beetle

Talking Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaeorn View Post
The hosting is being provided for free by the hosting company that FNW used to work for. He no longer works there and his new job requires him to travel frequently so cavedude is not always able to contact him immediately when there is a need.

In this case, cavedude did contact FNW and FNW put in a reboot request with the hosting company. But since they are providing the service for free, clearly this is not going to be a priority for them.

The current machine is adequate for our needs. However, it does not have much available headroom so if there is a bug in the server code that causes heavier load than normal, we will experience problems. Even more than that, with the current set up, we do not have remote management capabilities so we are completely at the mercy of FNW and the hosting company when we do have problems that cause the server to be unreachable.

To resolve all of the above problems, we would like to purchase two new systems that will exceed our needs by a wide enough margin we should not see performance problems from a player perspective even if there are issues with the server code. These systems will include full remote management capabilities allowing us to deal with nearly all problems remotely. And the fact that there will be two will allow us to have a failover in the event of one system failing completely. This should all add up to no downtime or miniscule downtime.

Some people ask about upgrading the existing system to accommodate these features. The problem with that is how long do you think it would take them to upgrade our system when it takes them days to simply reboot it? And that is assuming they would even be willing to do the upgrade for us, which they may very well not be willing to do.

Next we get asked about moving the hosting to a different location. Again it comes down to how long it would take the hosting guys to pack up and ship the system, which isn't very likely to happen in a timely manner either. And again, that assumes they are even willing to do so. They might require it to be picked up, which would require FNW to do so, which he may not have the time for.

So the solution is new servers with remote management at a hosting location that multiple people can contact. The remote management will be available to KLS, cavedude and myself. The hosting location could be called directly by the same 3 people. If physical access is required, it is a 25 minute drive for me. But it is not very likely physical access will be needed with the remote management capabilities.

But all of this costs money. We are doing what we can with the resources we have. We will improve things as we have the resources to do so. Until then, be patient and donate if you are so inclined.
Thank you for your extremly detailed post, I have a much clearer understanding now.

To others that read my post, sorry you couldn't read it correctly and felt more of a need to flame than answer it. I by NO means meant for people to second guess donating, I just wanted clarity. Thanks again, you'll be getting my donate after my 2300 mile trek. -See you in game.

Last edited by Crion; 08-28-2010 at 10:35 AM.. Reason: Speeling
Old 08-28-2010, 12:08 PM
robinreg
Sarnak

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikeren View Post
There was mention of it in the last thread; IIRC we were halfway at the goal, and the goal was posted?
Last I knew, we were nowhere near halfway to the goal. However, recent donations may have changed that if you include the $1,000 I plan to put into this. Unfortunately, cavedude is unavailable until Tuesday and he is the only one who knows the exact donation total.
Yesterday 05:01 PM
it would be nice to have a donation tracker such as http://www.devfuse.com/products/53-donation-tracker/ I think that will help us try to achieve our goal rather than taking a guess.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:50 PM
gaeorn
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinreg View Post
it would be nice to have a donation tracker such as http://www.devfuse.com/products/53-donation-tracker/ I think that will help us try to achieve our goal rather than taking a guess.
CD wanted to set one up but had permission issues on the existing PEQ server. Since FNW is difficult to reach outside of an emergency, the permission issues were not resolved. Also, CD has been very busy lately so would not be able to update it every day anyway. And for quite some time, there was such a small amount donated that it was hardly worth having the tracker.
Old 08-28-2010, 04:29 PM
Vanicae
Fire Beetle

A possible solution would be a sticky thread where he could keep us updated on the donation total, whenever he has time. Even if he could only update it once a week, we would still have a better idea of where the total stands. Just a thought.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:50 PM
r8n8
Fire Beetle

We should all get together and hold a bake sale to raise donations.

+10 points for my brilliance.

On a side note, it's the weekend, I'm guessing they won't get around to rebooting it till Monday, at the earliest
Old 08-28-2010, 08:15 PM
renoturks
Fire Beetle

It will be up when it comes up. Maybe it will get me up off my ass to get some coding done in the meantime.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:17 PM
renoturks
Fire Beetle

Also, this is clearly gaeorn's fault!
Old 08-28-2010, 08:29 PM
wheeljack
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by renoturks View Post
It will be up when it comes up. Maybe it will get me up off my ass to get some coding done in the meantime.
Heh, I know what you mean. I've submitted one code change so far this downtime and I did three last downtime.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:49 PM
Jaqua
Fire Beetle

What am I doing with downtime? I scored a job and made my gf happy. I mowed the lawn because it was starting to look like the amazon. I have gotten back to watching movies with the family because we all know evercrack addiction is hard to put down. What will I do when its up again? Play everyday lose my job my gf default on my mortgage LoL

Just kidding
Old 08-28-2010, 11:13 PM
Fatboy5706
Sarnak

lol ive actually took time to take a shower.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:39 AM
JazzineCleric
Fire Beetle

Well, my laptop cried when it found out PEQ was down again and quit. I have a paperweight for a computer. Damn addictions.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:26 AM
war_master11
Fire Beetle

it really blows that the server is not up for the entire weekend, guess i'll go back to starcraft2

FNW, for the sake of the whole peq community, why dont you allow others to access the server? seriously already, we appreciate that you are the "founder" of all this, but if you dont have the commitment to this project anymore, why dont you just give it up and let someone else handle it? the rule you have right now is just gonna kill this project if this same problem keeps happening. Look at recent peq population vs p1999 and you'll see TGC player base is going down hill.