Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:06 PM
Sanity
Fire Beetle

I wish I had the time/skill to host it for others. As it is, I have it set up just so I can walk around and remember the "good old days". I never played the Abyss version but the Zeb version in its day was loved and played by many as is. Sure its wildly broken in John's eyes, and I respect his opinion. But many found it suited their tastes perfectly and we had great fun in that world.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:37 AM
John Adams
Demi-God

Heya Sanity

Naw, what I mean by "broken" is the balance was so off, there was no possibility to expand it. During my time testing Abyss, I had so many petitions, PMs and tells asking me if there would be more content (which initially I refused to attempt). And as you know, trying to change existing content just freaked people out... there was nowhere to go, the world was "as-is". Yes, it was fun, but there were also a ton of exploits and broken quests, and even zones where you could kill mobs all day without them attacking you.

I've toyed with putting it back online, but honestly I think I'd rather create something new and let the old memories be good ones.
(actually, if I had the ability to host Abyss -and- my own dev server, I'd run them both... )
Old 01-26-2008, 01:34 PM
bouzi567
Fire Beetle

I was wondering is there any guide on how to get the zeb version going? like what to do with that file?any help would be great ty
Old 01-27-2008, 04:25 PM
Revilor
Fire Beetle

Yes it was a good server while it lasted, but it is time to let it be a memory.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:16 PM
trevius
Developer

Heya Rev :P

LOL, actually Zeb is back up right now :P Jibba brought it up temporarily to see if there was still any interest left in the server. As it is now, all character that were there when his server went down are all still there. Haven't spoken to Jibba since he brought the server back up, but the MoTD currently says he is leaving it up until Feb something to see if it gets interest back.

I am sure if he was planning to keep it up for good, it would take no time at all to get players there again. My guess is that not many want to play there right now, knowing an exact date that the server may go poof for good again.

As it has been said before, Zeb was one of the best Emu servers of all time. As far as what I have seen and read about, it would definitely be in the top 10. As far as any servers currently up and running, Zeb is probably in the top 3 IMO, at least for english speaking servers :P Obviously PEQ is in the top 3, and probably KMRA or the PVP server are in the current top as well.

And the way I read it, it looks like John only had the Abyss modified version of Zeb, not the original Zeb database. Zeb pre-abyss stuff was amazing. I didn't play on it when Abyss spliced their stuff in, but the original Zeb was far from "broke" hehe.

Don't get me wrong, there are some other great servers out there, but it is just my opinion that Zeb is a step above most.

Got my own server up now too btw. Anyone is welcome to check it out if you like. Gonna make an official post about it tomorrow, when it leaves the primary testing state.

Last edited by trevius; 01-28-2008 at 01:19 AM..
Old 01-29-2008, 04:00 AM
Jibbatwinkers
Sarnak

I think Rev is the one who brought that server up just to see if there was any interest in playing on it. You should see old Zeb up and running by next week I'm rebuilding the server right now. After that I'll make an official announcement about it.

I hope there aren't 20 clones running around out there, Jibb is back man.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:09 AM
Revilor
Fire Beetle

Yea I brought it up for a while and got some responds to it. I think if Jibba does bring his server back up and does some work to it and tweak it a bit I bet it would be back on the top list again. Good Luck Jibba

Last edited by Revilor; 01-29-2008 at 01:12 PM..
Old 01-29-2008, 12:19 PM
trevius
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibbatwinkers View Post
I think Rev is the one who brought that server up just to see if there was any interest in playing on it. You should see old Zeb up and running by next week I'm rebuilding the server right now. After that I'll make an official announcement about it.

I hope there aren't 20 clones running around out there, Jibb is back man.
Woot! Awesome, man!

And no, there aren't 20 clones. I haven't seen a single one since shortly after your server shut down last year.

GeorgeS has a ton of new updates to his tools, assuming you use those. They will definitely help make development even smoother and quicker for you if you get back into that stuff again.

I can't wait to hear the official word that it is up, hehe.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:52 AM
ivanho
Fire Beetle

I'll be back in too! We've already got many ideas about new content and changes. Here's to a long lasting Zeb!

<3 Ivanho
Old 08-25-2011, 11:32 PM
John Adams
Demi-God

Sorry for the necro... didn't feel like starting a new thread.

In 2007, when Amra took down the Abyss, I offered to run it for the players. My mistake back then was attempting to add content to the database... in doing so, pissed off many of the players which in turned, pissed me off when they stopped playing, and I took the server down. Immediately after that, I got absorbed into EQ2Emulator and have been solely working on that since.

Meanwhile, I'm clearing off some data on an old server and stumble across this database - the original one from Amra (Buju?). Realizing I now have the ability to run a 2nd EQEmulator, I present you with the 2007 version of The Abyss.

Note: There will be no changes made to this content, not even fixes. I have no time or interest to spend on an EQEmulator. This is provided as-is. The only thing I am attempting to do is bring the database up to current code specs, as long as the DB/code changes do not break the existing content. Meanwhile, it's running on EQEmu-0.7.0_1061 (yes, 2007 code ) Eh, seems to run!

This is available if there is any interest. If not, I could always run a VZTZ DB I also found.

As you were.

John Adams
Project Admin - EQ2Emulator
Old 08-26-2011, 02:17 AM
Burningsoul
Discordant

Love the idea, I enjoyed the zeb server quite a bit in the last few weeks of its' life. I couldn't make it anywhere close to the endgame before the server shut down though, I know I'd like a chance to see it.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:10 AM
bowmaster
Discordant

is this thee zeb database?
Old 08-26-2011, 12:40 PM
Burningsoul
Discordant

No bow"master", the thread titled "Abyss/Zeb DB" containing three pages of easy-to-read text describing how it's the Zeb DB shortly after the abyss merge, has nothing to do with the zeb database. Move along, nothing to see here.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:22 PM
bowmaster
Discordant

Erm nothing to see? just gone though and read it and well. Jibba said hes working on the old zeb again.. thats worth seeing , thank you.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:11 AM
Secrets
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowmaster View Post
Erm nothing to see? just gone though and read it and well. Jibba said hes working on the old zeb again.. thats worth seeing , thank you.
Post date. Read again. Thanks.