Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 04-01-2015, 06:32 PM
gyiro
Fire Beetle

Default Progression Server Classic to OoW

Hi all

We need a Progression Server that will start out with Classic and go all the way up as far as possible.

The server wouldn't need to be 100% bug free players could report the bugs as long as the server Derv's would fix them.

Also the release between each expansion could be like a year to two years. I would be ok with every two years a new expansion would be unlocked. Evey two years would give time for the player base to build as well.

I know the PEQ server and some others have up to GoD unlocked. Some of the server have a lot of the bugs worked out. Why can't we get a copy of one of those and lock it down to classic. We could create a bug reporting system like https://www.bugzilla.org/ the Vegarlson server uses this http://bugzilla.vegarlson-server.org/ and players report the bugs.

I just see all these different servers on here and so much work has been put into them. But know one seems to want to have a Progression server starting with Classic and not really have a cap. Shoot if you went with every two years it would take 6 years to get to SoL. If you did every year and a half it would take four and a half years to get to SoL. This way the player base would build and know that their will not be a cap for many many years to come.

Make it so no boxing or only 2 boxing. This way people will want/need to group.

I have logged on a lot of servers and some of you have done some nice work. I would just like to see a progression server starting with Classic. It can progress slower then live did. This is a private server.

Thanks for your time
Gyiro
Old 04-01-2015, 11:58 PM
Xarekis
Fire Beetle

It's simple, really. The idea of a progression server is flawed at its core.

People who want to play classic, will play on classic servers. People who want more old-modern, will play on those servers. And people who want the latest, most modern version of EQ play on Live.

A progression server will eventually only cater to one of these segments of the pop, so nobody is truly interested in throwing the massive amount of labor and hours into creating such an emu server. There are other servers that specialize in each type and which will out-compete it.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:18 AM
gyiro
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xarekis View Post
It's simple, really. The idea of a progression server is flawed at its core.

People who want to play classic, will play on classic servers. People who want more old-modern, will play on those servers. And people who want the latest, most modern version of EQ play on Live.

A progression server will eventually only cater to one of these segments of the pop, so nobody is truly interested in throwing the massive amount of labor and hours into creating such an emu server. There are other servers that specialize in each type and which will out-compete it.
Classic say 2 years
Kunark say 2 years
Velious say 2 years
SoL say 2 years
PoP say 2 years

That right there is 10 years of play.

OR

Classic say 1 years
Kunark say 1 years
Velious say 1 years
SoL say 1 years
PoP say 1 years

That would be 5 years

A game that is slowly growing, expanding while not capping out.

You even have another 4 expansions to get to OoW. Then there are another 5 expansions after that.

Legacy 1 or 2 years
LDoN 1 or 2 years
Gates 1 or 2 years
Omens 1 or 2 years

Another 4 to 8 years of play. So at this point we could have 9 to 18 years of game play. Again not growing stagnant, still growing, not capping out.

DoN
Depths
PoR
TSS
TBS

If you play on a server that set on Velious or PoP then what? Its going to become stagnant. You log on the server most people are going to max level and raid end game. You play for say 2 or so years and cap your character out then what? Game over or reroll.

I know so people like games that dont last for ever. But that is a console not an MMO

After
Old 04-02-2015, 11:55 AM
Xarekis
Fire Beetle

Project 1999 has been around since October 2009. Six years. On Classic and Kunark. It will soon be in Velious, but all three of those expansions belong to a single era- what most people view as the classic era. The population is HUGE and seems to be getting higher. Not many people in this community want change, I'm afraid, even if doled out in 2-year increments.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:23 PM
gyiro
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xarekis View Post
Project 1999 has been around since October 2009. Six years. On Classic and Kunark. It will soon be in Velious, but all three of those expansions belong to a single era- what most people view as the classic era. The population is HUGE and seems to be getting higher. Not many people in this community want change, I'm afraid, even if doled out in 2-year increments.
I play on there and friends of mine do as well and guess what we are not playing on there now. Why? we are waiting on Velious and we do not like to play alts.

I have talked with people who are playing on other EQEMU servers and WoW servers who play on p99 and they are also not playing and waiting on Velious. Shoot Velious was to be out last fall so a lot of people started coming back who left. So two years after Velious is out the server will die down.

Oh and guess what EQ live is doing just what I said making a brand new progression server starting with classic. Why? because that is what players are wanting. But you will need to pay to play that server.

Lets see how many P99 plays leave to play on that new EQ live progression server.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:31 PM
gyiro
Fire Beetle

Oh and a lot of people just want to play where the population is at. I have had lots of people tell me it is better to play on a bad server with a high population then it is to play on a good server with no one to run with.

Which server has the highest population? P99

People flock to where others are (not everyone but a lot do).

Plus others server let you box which most see as anti group servers. Where P99 is a anti boxing server. So people feel they have a lot higher chance to get a group.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:08 PM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

Problem with progression servers is the fact that people cap content in a week because they no life the fuck out of it.

On P99 you can go 1-60 in 3 days, raid geared in a week provided there's no competition. But on a brand new progression server, Ralph and his 10 friends from p99 will go ahead and ROMP all the way to beating the first tier of the gamee in that time frame cause noone else is there.

We did the same fucking thing on Fippy.

2 weeks we were level 50 and had nagafen/vox/inny/phinny on farm rotation, but i mean that was 85+ RoI members.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:48 PM
gyiro
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maze_EQ View Post
Problem with progression servers is the fact that people cap content in a week because they no life the fuck out of it.

On P99 you can go 1-60 in 3 days, raid geared in a week provided there's no competition. But on a brand new progression server, Ralph and his 10 friends from p99 will go ahead and ROMP all the way to beating the first tier of the gamee in that time frame cause noone else is there.

We did the same fucking thing on Fippy.

2 weeks we were level 50 and had nagafen/vox/inny/phinny on farm rotation, but i mean that was 85+ RoI members.
Your right some will but that isn't most. For example I know of five people who all played EQ starting back in 1999 and back then we all lived on the game. However now days we are all married with kids (who are in sports) and we have jobs. So we no longer have that kind of time. So racing to end game isn't something everyone will do. Now on the other hand 5 years on a caped expansion isn't something we want to do either.

So for people like us who are older that play when we have free time a few nights a week, it would be nice to have a server that slowly added content over the next eight to ten years.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:57 PM
N0ctrnl
Discordant

I doubt you're going to get a decade-long commitment out of anybody when it comes to releasing content. I know I'd hate to think I had to spread anything out over the next 8-10 years. That's ludicrous, really.

And I have to ask... Why don't you set one up and do that? I first messed with EMU in ~2007, and that seems like forever ago now, and that's the 8 years you're talking about. Not realistic at all to expect from anybody (unless it's you).
Old 04-02-2015, 05:17 PM
gyiro
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0ctrnl View Post
I doubt you're going to get a decade-long commitment out of anybody when it comes to releasing content. I know I'd hate to think I had to spread anything out over the next 8-10 years. That's ludicrous, really.

And I have to ask... Why don't you set one up and do that? I first messed with EMU in ~2007, and that seems like forever ago now, and that's the 8 years you're talking about. Not realistic at all to expect from anybody (unless it's you).
The thought had crossed my mined. I can build a house from the ground up foundation, plumbing, electrical, HVAC, and roofing. However when it comes to computers i do build custom PC's for my family and myself, but I don't know the first thing about scripting or C++. If I knew how to read and wright script/C++ I would try building a server myself.