Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Linux Servers

Support::Linux Servers Support forum for Linux EQEMu users.

Old 02-11-2021, 06:42 PM
krujo81
Fire Beetle

Default Eqemu server on synology NAS?

Is this possible and if so how would i get it loaded on there?.
Old 02-16-2021, 02:20 PM
hayward6
Forum Guide

Well, you could certainly use the file system for storage of backups or even the virtual server files if it's setup that way, but I suspect you mean to ask if the operating system could be setup to run it. I very much doubt it, and if it could be done, you would need an awful lot of Linux experience and comfort. I'm not even sure what they use for their OS, but assume it's an open source linux platform.
Old 02-16-2021, 02:54 PM
djeryv
Hill Giant

Synology has a virtual machine manager where you could run a VM that has your EQ server...but you are limited in the NAS's processor and more often the RAM in it.
Old 02-18-2021, 02:20 PM
Tdayin
Fire Beetle

It's a very heavily customized Debian fork that uses Upstart. It can be done but will not run very good if you have multiple users login to it. Even the best Synology servers only have a max of 8gb of ram and the cpu is an Atom based processor, the same found in low end tablets and chromebooks. I have a DS216j and RS2416+ and tried it on both. After 3 connections, it started to lag so bad it was not worth it(even on a closed lan connection).

To answer your question, you would have to do it from the CLI and hope that all dependencies are installed already with the core OS.