Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > OpenEQ > OpenEQ::General Discussion

OpenEQ::General Discussion General discussion related to the OpenEQ Project

Old 12-13-2004, 09:57 AM
mattmeck

Quote:
I'd like nothing more than to see an OpenEQ that had enough content that one could play satisfactorily without any SOE content. We can all agree that it's badly out of date, and there's something to be said for discovering something new. I'm sure many people here can walk the SOE zones blindfolded and that's a very bad thing.
Amen

and i know of at leat 2 server that are trying to acomplish this, it will be a wonderfull day when you wont need to log onto SOE's patcher to play on EQEmu.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:01 AM
jbb
Hill Giant

/agree windcatcher
Old 12-13-2004, 10:07 AM
daeken_bb
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windcatcher
It looks to me like this discussion is being pulled in two different directions, content and quality (actually quality can be broken into client quality and content quality). Well I might as well chime in since I have an interest in one of them, content.

You know, there's a niftly little program (hell, what am I talking about? It's probably 100k lines of code by now) called OpenZone. IT LETS YOU MAKE ZONES. I ought to know: I wrote it. No SOE textures, no SOE models: you can make entirely original zones from scratch, or even make them from scratch in the 3D tool of your choice and import them as .3DS files. Before anyone complains about the quality of any content, you should know that the tools exist for you to make content on your own. If anyone here is a professional 3D modeler and you can do better, you're most welcome to join the effort and submit your own creative vision. The more the merrier.

I realize that there's more to content than just zones, but a library of canned objects (like houses, or anything else you can think of) is also welcome, since it would make it a lot easier for anyone else to create zones. As long as everything you submit isn't copyrighted by anyone else, there is a lot of opportunity to contribute. Someday we hope to make it possible to add mob models as well (the biggest obstacle for me is getting my hands on some free examples that I can read -- we already know how to export a skeleton model as .WLD). The point here is that before complaining about content, remember that you can contribute to improve the situation.

The client itself will improve over time. Expecting it to be some awesome thing off the bat is unrealistic. It will evolve, and you'll have a front-row seat to the process where you can make suggestions, but to suggest that it's useless until it can surpass EQ is IMHO absurd. A client is as useful as its users decide it is, and when a patch breaks EQEmu I think a third-party client fixed to a specific version of the server would suddenly become very useful. I've said for a long time that EQEmu needs to divorce itself from the EQLive client and SOE's patching schedule, and it just might finally come to pass.

I'd like nothing more than to see an OpenEQ that had enough content that one could play satisfactorily without any SOE content. We can all agree that it's badly out of date, and there's something to be said for discovering something new. I'm sure many people here can walk the SOE zones blindfolded and that's a very bad thing.
I agree with you on every single point. The thing is, I want full support for EQ's files. That doesn't mean we have to _use_ them, but I believe that if this project is really going to go somewhere, we need them at least to start.

Check out my deviantART page at http://daeken.deviantart.com/
Old 12-13-2004, 10:16 AM
mattmeck

Quote:
I agree with you on every single point. The thing is, I want full support for EQ's files. That doesn't mean we have to _use_ them, but I believe that if this project is really going to go somewhere, we need them at least to start.
Exactly right, just because a few people dont want to emulate EQ dose not mean everyone wants it that way. This is a way for everyone to get what they want.

some want EQ
Others want EQish
still others want something diferent then EQ

All are right in what they want and none is bettter then the other, its a matter of opinion, and you are catering to the community and giving everyone what they want.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:16 AM
jbb
Hill Giant

/agree
Developing new client and new content at the same time is far to difficult. Making it work with EQ zones means that most of the hard work with the server side can be reused as can all of openzone to create contents
Old 12-13-2004, 10:29 AM
daeken_bb
Discordant

Now we're off this topic too! haha. I suggest we continue this on the new Vision Statement post I put up a bit ago

I'm going to be in and out for the next hour or two... talking to Christine and making/eating dinner, so I will be on and off

Check out my deviantART page at http://daeken.deviantart.com/