Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > OpenEQ > OpenEQ::General Discussion

OpenEQ::General Discussion General discussion related to the OpenEQ Project

Old 09-24-2004, 07:09 PM
dy5functi0n
Fire Beetle

Default Erm...hi?

Hello. This is Xiao. FreakU has turned into OpenEQ, eh? Ok, questions:

Daeken still here?
Where's the website?
Where is teh l33t? (muahaha)
Progress?
How the fuck can I help?
Old 09-25-2004, 03:42 PM
lordnoob
Sarnak

Default Re: Erm...hi?

Daeken still here? yep
Where's the website? dunno
Where is teh l33t? (muahaha)
Progress? http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17260
How the fuck can I help? dunno
Old 09-26-2004, 07:36 PM
jbb
Hill Giant

Hmm, there was a post here saying what help was needed on the project but it seems to have vanished.

I've been working on my own zone renderer. I've hacked together some code that will display a .EQG based zone and let you fly through it although it only displays the basic diffuse textures at the moment and is one nasty long block of code that has evolved through trial and error.

I'm now rewriting the code in properly designed c++. With a core program that can represent a "world" and with plug in DLLs for platform support, graphics api support (D3D, Opengl) and world importing (from .s3d and .eqg files).

It's going to take a while though. I estimate a couple of weeks before I've got anything at all to show.

So what's this got to do with openeq?
Not a great deal at the moment. Although it will need to do a lot of the same things OpenEQ is about producing a new eq client. My code is a graphics engine which can display some eq zones...

But - I'm certainly willing to help with openeq too as and when I can. I'd like to see this project succeed and am offering what help I can with working out file format, designing stuff and implementing code, although I have limited time...

When I've got my code to a suitable standard I intend to relese the source code (although I'm not promising anything at this point) . Probably not under GPL though but I'll work something out that lets people use it if they wish.

I don't know how far openEQ has got beyond the code I've seen but here are some of the things I would need for my engine which I think openeq is going to need too :

1) Better documentation for the file formats. The posting here have been wonderful but it would be nice to draw them all together.

2) Documentation for the old style WLD files. There is code in
openeq to read them but it's far from clear how it all works.

3) Placable objects from old zones. Where are they stored and how? Where are the models stored and how?

4) Placeable objects for new zones. They are stored in .ZON resources inside .EQG files and I've mostly figured out the format. I can work out where to draw them, but not which object to draw which is a slight problem.

5) Better material handling. The new format files have a lot of information in about Diffuse textures, Normal textures and quite a few other things. Just drawing the diffuse texture produces a reasonable looking zone. I've experimented with the normal texture for bump mapping by applying it as a normal map to the main texture and modulating the brightness as each pixel. It seems to work in that it correctly hilights the bumps based on the position of the light source but it looks *terrible* so I'm obviously doing something wrong.

6) What about the .LIT files. I presume they contain light maps but can't figure out how to apply them at this point. My guess is that the ZON file shows which LIT file to apply to which areas but beyond that I've got nothing.

7) MOB formats. I only intend to draw the zones themselved with placable objects at least for starters. But openEQ is going to have to draw the mobs too, and animate them. What information is there on the file formats for this?

Floor finding. At the moment I just fly around the zone but I'm going to have to work out how to drop to the floor for walking around. At the moment I've no thoughts on how to do this other than by calculating the distance to every polygon and picking the nearest one below the player to move towards. But that sounds a huge amount of CPU time. I guess with an octree to cull the polygons that need searching it might be workable.

Anyway, lots of questions. I can probably answer some of them and maybe help draw together what documentation there is for the file formats.

I'll be working on my engine too and hope to release source to it once it is at least capable of drawing the zones and moving around in them even if it's just one unlit texture as there exists now.

Hmm, more later. Got to go to wortk now :(
Old 09-28-2004, 10:26 AM
jbb
Hill Giant

Default Progress

This is not OpenEQ but I'm making progress.

This looks like a big step back from my previous attempts but is now properly structured code with plug in DLL drivers for D3D9 and opengl so it should be possible to do a lot more with it.

It will probably be about another week or two before I have enough to want to release anything.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:02 PM
dy5functi0n
Fire Beetle

Wow, dude. Nice. You really should consider joining the OpenEQ team or something.....
Old 09-28-2004, 06:49 PM
jbb
Hill Giant

I already said that I'll help out the OpenEQ team with whatever I can. My own engine is just for trying stuff out really.
I'm not quite sure where to find there "team" though other than here or what I can work on
Old 09-29-2004, 08:59 AM
jbb
Hill Giant

I case anyone is remotely interested... Progress of a kind....
I'm loading the models for the zone now as well as the basic terrain. Although as you can see from the picture something is horribly wrong with the location of the placeable objects.

I need to get textures back on too, it makes it so much easier to see what you are drawing :(

EDIT: I fixed the placable object positioning. It's really hard to see from this wireframe rendering of draniksscar but you might be able to make out some palm trees and a tower. Tomorrow I'll get textures back in again.

Old 11-21-2004, 02:42 PM
Silrius
Fire Beetle

test