Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:36 AM
Akkadius
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by badplayer View Post
This statement is false. There have been windows based eqemu servers with over 300 players online before. It was running two quad core 1.8ghz cpu's. The cpu load on the server was next to nothing and could hold tons more players.
EZ Server is Windows based.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:44 AM
r8n8
Fire Beetle

All I know is that SoA used to be windows based, and we would crash the server AE pulling. When they switched it to Linux, that pretty much stopped.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:02 AM
Crion
Fire Beetle

Exclamation The continuing

Day 2 of yet another epic peq phailure.

/scratches

I need mah crack!

&& in case you havn't noticed, each time the server goes down we are losing more players to other servers, like the EZ server(!!!?) and worse yet, p1999 .. Sadly I can even name a few people that are gone for good..

I understand to you this may be an important time to ask for donates, but you said yourself the current set up is already more than enough for now.
Why so much downtime and so frequent? There are other servers out there with far less equipment and bandwidth and yet they have longer up times, some only reset once a week, if that, and with roughly the same player load.

I'm not knocking the need for new server upgrades by any means, I'm just wondering how or why PEQ seems to have poor reliability with its current set up, or rather if the problem is the ISP/Host, why continue to subscribe to their services if they are so incompetent.

Last edited by Crion; 08-27-2010 at 08:05 AM.. Reason: Clarification
Old 08-27-2010, 09:23 AM
Jaqua
Fire Beetle

It seems to me that your answer lies in the front pages of this thread. However let me clarify.. First of PEQ is free to play.. secondly Cavedude is footin the bill.. if you are concerned with the players leaving and the sky falling down then by all means donate otherwise buck up lil camper..
Old 08-27-2010, 09:52 AM
badplayer
Sarnak

It's outta cavedude's hands anyway, our only hope is that this FNW guy isn't passed out in a ditch with a bottle of jack daniels.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:11 AM
sorvani
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crion View Post
Day 2 of yet another epic peq phailure.

Why so much downtime and so frequent?
You do know that prior to these outages, the server itself had an uptime of 480+ days? Get a bit of perspective.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:18 AM
Fatboy5706
Sarnak

Default wrong....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorvani View Post
You do know that prior to these outages, the server itself had an uptime of 480+ days? Get a bit of perspective.
you must be smoking some good shit or have a time traveling watch or something... the server went DOWN for 4 or 5 days like 2-3 weeks ago....... so, unless a year has went by and i dont know about it, the server was only up for at most 21 days.

well i see what youre saying now, but still, 480 days is a whole lot better than a 4/21 ratio.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:00 AM
Mghargh
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy5706 View Post
you must be smoking some good shit or have a time traveling watch or something... the server went DOWN for 4 or 5 days like 2-3 weeks ago....... so, unless a year has went by and i dont know about it, the server was only up for at most 21 days.

well i see what youre saying now, but still, 480 days is a whole lot better than a 4/21 ratio.
He is talking about PRIOR to the last outage, this present one as well as the last one is included in his "these outages" statement.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:11 AM
bademan1971
Fire Beetle

For all the people who might be leaving, we are certainly picking up new people. I saw quite a few evenings recently where the population was stable at 300+ people and one day two weeks when Fandaane was leading an MGB-fest, there were 352 people on as I was loading an alt in.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:25 AM
Fatboy5706
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy5706 View Post
thank you for clarifying something i have already clarified myself.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:27 AM
Fatboy5706
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bademan1971 View Post
For all the people who might be leaving, we are certainly picking up new people. I saw quite a few evenings recently where the population was stable at 300+ people and one day two weeks when Fandaane was leading an MGB-fest, there were 352 people on as I was loading an alt in.
tbh, i dont think the server counts single IPs, i think that count to the right is active characters, which means, people who run 6, but are just 1 human being, still counts as 6 on the server, so, just because that number is big doesnt mean that there really are that many "people" on the server. Likewise, if you lose someone, you might be losing 6+.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:47 AM
MNWatchdog
Hill Giant

Quick summary:
PEQ is Free.
PEQ is test bed for new Emu server code thus daily reboots and sometimes the server doesn't come up correctly.
PEQ is test bed for new quests/scripts thus daily reboots. All NPCs scripts get reloaded on reboots.
PEQ server is WAY beyond Cavedudes direct control by about 2000 miles. New Jersey to Colorado I believe.
PEQ is being hosted for free and sometimes you get what you pay for, but over all, it's been a sweet deal. If someone wants to cough up $100-$150/mo to pay for hosting, send me the money(1 year in advance please) I'll set up hosting here.
PEQs hardware is maintained by FNW who has a life and a real job which often means he has no way to get to the hardware immediately.
PEQ is FREE.

Did I leave anything out?
Old 08-27-2010, 11:51 AM
Fatboy5706
Sarnak

um i think you left out that the server is still down. Here it is so you can just edit your post and add it to your list.

PEQ is still down.

copy paste FTW!

Old 08-27-2010, 12:15 PM
Ikeren
Hill Giant

@Crion: Also, you may be surprised, but PEQ has no incentive to keep you there. They're not making money of your, or anyone elses, presence. The server could have only 20 people playing 3-4 characters each, and it would plug on, developing content and testing it. So while you may be concerned about people leaving (why? Do you have trouble finding groups?), I'm not, and TGC isn't going to cease to be if for some reason the EZ server ends up with a higher population.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:36 PM
r8n8
Fire Beetle

1. If people don't like the downtime and want there to be less downtime and still want to play on the server, they should donate.

2. Coming here and complaining / making a big deal about the downtime isn't productive. Donating would be infinitely more productive.

3. Without downtime people wouldn't get to discover totally awesome stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsGYh8AacgY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFCSXr6qnv4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaCCkfjPm0o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5Nz8p3EP7A

And:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzKtPezPsqE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMtZfW2z9dw