Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:43 AM
Aldest
Sarnak

Default Download Question

This is just a rather general question about the community and where we are now.

On the download page the "latest" version is I believe revision 222.
On the google site I think there is a 408 binary as well.
Ax offers an install pack for 444 but not the "full zip" binary.

The current revision is 447.

Now, for a new user that seems pretty confusing. The simplest thing for them to do is get the ax installer. It works well and gets the job done.

For those of us that don't use an installer though it gets pretty tricky. I'm not that sharp with the compiling of the code or exactly what all I have to update in my database to bring it to current (though I have a good idea).

What I am getting at, in a round about way, is this. Are there any plans to start putting out the newer binaries on this site? If not, shouldn't we at least point people towards Ax and the google repository?

Second, is there a way to get the current PEQ DB without the SVN that is "in one piece" like the Ax one is? If so, we should probably make that pretty obvious as well.

I do appreciate all the hard work on the project. I'm just trying to ensure that we can make it easily accessible to all!
Old 04-29-2009, 11:02 AM
drakelord
Hill Giant

I'm fairly certain that these issues are going to be handled quickly once we get the site moved to its own server. Things are just moving a bit slow right now, is all.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:04 PM
Aldest
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakelord View Post
I'm fairly certain that these issues are going to be handled quickly once we get the site moved to its own server. Things are just moving a bit slow right now, is all.
That is reasonable enough.

Is there anything that the community can do to assist in this process? I get a lot of enjoyment out of this project and many many hours of entertainment (and annoyance too when my server goes hairy on me!) so I have no qualms with pitching in.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:06 PM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

The PEQ database on SVN is in one piece, really. At least all content data is in a single file. There are two other parts which are the player tables, which need to be separated so you do not lose toon data when you update, and the third is for the EQOffline system which is optional.

I just reorganized the SVN a bit and added a readme to hopefully make it less confusing. There was a time when it was a lot simpler, but with all the changes to player tables we have seen lately, and the fact that PEQ has a wide range of users which requires flexibility, simplicity needed to be exchanged for usability. Still, it's not overly complicated to install. Initial installs come down to sourcing 2 files, with a 3rd that is optional. Upgrades require dropping the content, sourcing it, and then applying any missing updates to player tables.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:13 PM
Aldest
Sarnak

Thank you CaveDude, that reorganization did, indeed, make it a whole lot clearer.

I'm still a bit fuzzy on updating my content to the new database. The tables that seem the same I just directly input. You mention that the character data has been modified a lot.

If I am taking my old DB and going to a new revision on a new server, is there any easy way to do this or is it simpler to have all my players recreate and just try to compensate them with levels/gear?
Old 04-30-2009, 02:39 PM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

The files in the updates folder will update all of your character tables without losing any toon data. You want to source in every update in that folder in order, from the last time you updated. If you have a db_version table in your database, that will tell you which version you are running. Just source in all updates after that point. If you do not have that table, then you'll need to compare the EQEmu changelog and what your database schema looks like with the updates files to see which you need to source. If it's really old, (before the EQEmu code moved to SVN) then you will need to source them all.

The actual content of the database is simple. Source drop_system.sql, and then source the file contained within the .gz file. Of course, this will destroy any custom content you have added to the server. The best way to keep that intact is to maintain a sql of all your changes, and source that back in after you've updated the content part of the DB.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:25 PM
Aldest
Sarnak

The custom content I have, thankfully, put into sql file. I'm confident I can get that back in. Simple inserts and the like.

To elaborate though, I am moving servers completely. From a workstation to a real server. So I'm sort of doing a "new server" and then a restore. I'm currently sourcing the full .gz file. I'll then source the load_player. I thought it would be easier to create a fresh start and then bring data over instead of upgrading my existing old revision.

My only confusion is how to get the character data in. I assume when you say you make constant changes to it that is in the column that is an actual file? When I back that up and source it in it appears to work. The characters are there and do seem to tie to the right tables but not completely. Gear is there but factions are messed up. I'm not sure if this is the same issue or an entirely different one. On my last attempt most of the monsters were indifferent and/or ally that should be KoS.

Can I directly go from my release (I want to say revision 222 honestly) to the newest or, at least just in the instance of characters, is it better to have my players recreate and then fix them? Or am I really just making this a whole lot more complex than it is (I tend to do that)?
Old 04-30-2009, 08:59 PM
Aldest
Sarnak

Okay, a bit of an update. I took my time today and followed all the instructions.

I was able to get my server working as intended and running. I haven't moved any of my custom content to it.

Basically my question is, before I do that, can I move characters directly from revision 222 to 440+. I did one as a test and it seems to work fine. If that is the case then I'm set and might write up a sort of "how to for those as slow as Aldest." If not, is there a way to "upgrade/convert" characters?
Old 04-30-2009, 09:07 PM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

In order to go from 222 to current, you'd need to apply all the updates from Rev227.sql to the current Rev438.sql. If you do that, your toons will all be fine and you won't have to worry about them anymore Basically, if you can get your toon in-game, then you're set.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:28 PM
Aldest
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavedude View Post
In order to go from 222 to current, you'd need to apply all the updates from Rev227.sql to the current Rev438.sql. If you do that, your toons will all be fine and you won't have to worry about them anymore Basically, if you can get your toon in-game, then you're set.
That is great news =)

I really appreciate all the help on this. It looks like I've got everything set then. I'll play with it a bit more before making the official move but I think we're golden.