Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 06-20-2009, 03:26 AM
Hessie025
Fire Beetle

Dude, That sounds kickass...I know something I really hated about EQ as it went on was the ability to go anywhere almost instantly...whatever those stupid books were I remember taking a lvl 3 to like a lvl 60 zone in a couple minutes which wouldn't be a problem if I had, had to walk there, but the problem is I just like....appeared there lol...it made me feel less adventurous...and eventually I just stopped..
Old 06-21-2009, 06:54 AM
Quineloe
Fire Beetle

I always thought that some of the mob levels in many dungeons were quite off. Running into level 1 mobs in BB or CB for example. Also these dungeons capped out quite low, it is easily possible to go to CB, only to outlevel the place in an hour with accelerated exp. 12-20 would probably work better than the 4-14 it is right now.

I'd love to play on your server too.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:10 PM
Godhand
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysius View Post
1. Any plans for cash sinks? People always say an economy is impossible on EQEmu servers and I think that's completely untrue. Put in a significant plat sink and an economy will spring.
The economy should be pretty strong. There will be a lot more named mobs and drops, especially in dungeons. Blackburrow alone has at least 30 new droppable low end items. Tradeskills are being re-worked be a lot more effective. I think the majority of the playerbase will want to work on at least one tradeskill. They're pretty big money sinks themselves. Quests themselves can be pretty good cash sinks. Remember crafted armor and saving up for those gems?

Quote:
2. What will be the max level? 50 then 60?
50 in classic. Possibly 55 in Kunark, then 60 in Velious, or just starting at 60 in Kunark. Still being worked out.

Quote:
3. Will AAs be included?
I like AAs in live, I thought they were a good addition. But to answer the question, no, or not for a long time.

Quote:
4. Why limit the focus effects to planar and above items?
The same reason that item haste will be a lot more limited. Item haste and focus effects are way, way more powerful than say +10 intelligence or strength. Items such as FBSS and CoF were way overpowered in classic EQ. Slow, gradual progression is what we're going for here. There's currently 4 haste items in Classic, 3 are raid items, with the most powerful being 27%. If you can get a mask with +5% mana preservation from Unrest you probably won't want the +15 int mask from Cazic Thule (just examples). We're trying to keep things as balanced as possible. No group items should be better than expansion-appropriate raid loot. So, the vast majority of "special effects" items (haste, focus, +atk, etc) are reserved for raid bosses since these effects are just way better than straight stats. This isn't to say that Kunark won't feature level I focus effects, but these will be very rare drops or quests. And in Kunark, raiders will be able to obtain level II focus effects (Veeshan's Peak).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hessie025 View Post
Dude, That sounds kickass...I know something I really hated about EQ as it went on was the ability to go anywhere almost instantly...whatever those stupid books were I remember taking a lvl 3 to like a lvl 60 zone in a couple minutes which wouldn't be a problem if I had, had to walk there, but the problem is I just like....appeared there lol...it made me feel less adventurous...and eventually I just stopped..
Instant teleportation and soulbinders are gone. Please see your local druid or wizard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quineloe View Post
I always thought that some of the mob levels in many dungeons were quite off. Running into level 1 mobs in BB or CB for example. Also these dungeons capped out quite low, it is easily possible to go to CB, only to outlevel the place in an hour with accelerated exp. 12-20 would probably work better than the 4-14 it is right now.

I'd love to play on your server too.
I agree. You should be able to get 1-50 in 3-4 dungeons max. The rate of exp will be a bit faster than PEQ and a bit slower than VZTZ if you're familiar with those servers.

I appreciate the interest / questions.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:27 PM
multitasking
Fire Beetle

Default reeq

This is actually one of the best ideas ive ever heard of on eqemu forums.. people either try to make it pure classic (which doesnt work with low population) or too easy (which people get bored of very quickly).. i like your inbetween approach with keeping certain classic aspects of the game but adding your own custom ideas.. that how you make a good server.. keep up the good work bro
Old 06-23-2009, 03:43 PM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

Taking out soulbinders is actualy bad idea.
I remember my melee days when I traveled on foot from Gfay to Erudine and spent next 3 HOURS /shouting /ooc /crying until someone showed up who was willing to bind me.
Caster IMHo had too much luxury on traveling around. If melees can't bind - neither should casters =P
Old 06-23-2009, 04:06 PM
Godhand
Fire Beetle

I'll keep soul binders up for consideration, but right now they've been removed.

Getting binds, sows, ports (etc) as a melee was part of the hardship of playing one of those classes and something I enjoyed as a community builder. Maybe I'm just a masochist.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:22 PM
Elysius
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godhand View Post
I'll keep soul binders up for consideration, but right now they've been removed.

Getting binds, sows, ports (etc) as a melee was part of the hardship of playing one of those classes and something I enjoyed as a community builder. Maybe I'm just a masochist.
To be honest, I think it should really depend on the server population. Yeah, back in the day it was a hardship but it was mitigated by the fact that if you were sitting in Kelethin you could very easily find another player to help you out.

It would be unreasonable to expect the population to be anywhere near as large as Live's was at the beginning. Maybe include Soulbinders as well as NPC teleporters at each spire that would teleport you for a fee, at least until the population picks up?
Old 06-23-2009, 05:27 PM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

well consider this- why should 2 clases out of 14 (wiz, druid) have a build-in cash generator working for them? The "economic" value of the class should never be balanced vs its "gameplay" value.

You should not be geting FREE ports only cuase you playing a wizard - you can have ability to access the travel spell, but then spell should come at STEEP reagent cost. There is a good reason why my friend's Sk was dead broke at lev 45, while my druid was siting on 60k cash at the same level (this is in 2001)

Please note- I do not actualy propose you do it this way - this is your server and you can paint sky green if you wish - I only speaking my mind out

Quote:
It would be unreasonable to expect the population to be anywhere near as large as Live's was at the beginning. Maybe include Soulbinders as well as NPC teleporters at each spire that would teleport you for a fee, at least until the population picks up?
This is EXACTLY how I planing this for my server. All cities have soulbinders, and Spires have teleporters who teleport for a FEE - which is rather LARGE. And while druids/wizard have access to own ports- all ports requre reagent which is cost as much as the porters fee.
So no class has an economical bonus
Old 07-30-2009, 08:42 AM
LumieX
Fire Beetle

any updated info on this server?
Old 07-30-2009, 04:35 PM
hyz0n
Fire Beetle

I for one wouldn't suffer to see the Soul Binders and Teleporters disappear. I know it's not convenient to search this out, but it WAS the essence of the game for a long time.

There were times where I would be miserable as a wizard because I didn't have Clarity and it took 8 minutes to regenerate a full bar of mana. Or the times when I didn't have a res, and would have to run a country mile back to my body. Loving a druid camping nearby, because I hadn't camped Jboots yet, and needed a SoW to make my kiting easier. As a wizard, I sacrificed those wants / needs to have a standout bonus for transportation. I still to this day will remember the hours long trek I made from Erudin to Gfaydark at level 6 (before they changed Kithicor).

I think the main point would be to change the content in between travel points enough to intrigue an explorer to WANT to see what's in between, as opposed to it just being the same boring landscape (a eerily similar plight to a long commute to work.)

As a small rant, I dislike how the mentality in gaming today is that the gamer is empowered to whine about inconvenience to make the game easy to play.

As the gaming population and game market has increased, it seems like the push in gaming is to get the maximum amount of people playing and tons cash in your pockets versus created a quality game that is what it is regardless of how many people decide to play.

I hope the emulator world can be large enough to accommodate people who truly desire a tough challenge, and those who want Soulbinders, Teleports, 5xXp etc.

I'm really intrigued by your server idea. I'm almost always amused when work people do for free and/or enjoyment and it turns out a better product than what people do for pay.