Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:12 AM
Xinlitik
Fire Beetle

Default Windows 7 64 bit + EQ

Hi,

I have EQ titanium installed and followed the play guide exactly. Unfortunately, every time I start the game the screen goes black then the process closes.

According to the faq, this is likely resolution or drivers... I have the latest nvidia drivers (8800 GT) and I tried every desktop resolution.

What should I do from here? Is there a way to change EQ resolution outside of the game?

thanks
Old 11-12-2009, 12:26 AM
prickle
Hill Giant

have you tried turning on compatibility modes for the exe? You can do that by right-clicking on the app and select properties...

I start with setting it to Windows XP compatibility mode... if that doesn't work try Win 98 (if that's still available)...
Old 11-12-2009, 12:47 AM
Xinlitik
Fire Beetle

I had tried Windows Xp SP 2 and 3 compatibility to no avail.

Windows 98 gives me this error message and does not get to the black screen:

"the instruction at 0x778be23e referenced memory at 0x010ee1ac. the memory could not be read"

I tried running eqgame.exe w/o the patchme addition. -> "Please run everquest.exe"

I tried running everquest.exe -> told me to install Station launch pad, which I denied.

Any ideas? :(
Old 11-12-2009, 05:57 AM
blackdragonsdg
Dragon

It might be a directx issue so try downloading and installing directx 9.0c, it can be found here:
Code:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3
Windows 7 has dx11 by default and much like Vista with dx10.1 it is not 100% backwards compatible. Everquest requires dx9 runtime components in order for it to work properly. While the Titanium and SoF install packages will install parts of dx9 it is incomplete to say the least.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:51 AM
Shin Noir
Legendary Member

Win 7 32bit works with eqgame with latest directx/video drivers. Never bothered with Win7 64bit so not sure I can be of help.

When I ran WinXP 64bit with SoF client it was crashing on me no errors. So I use sysinternal's Filemon (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb896642.aspx) to trace the process's access right before the crash, discovered it was crashing on d3dx9_30.dll. I looked at the file and it seemed fine and it was reading it, but a crash occured...

So I browsed the directX .cab files (with 7-zip) that come with the download of directX, and discovered they keep 32bit and 64bit copies of each DLL file (32bit = x86, 64bit = x64). I found the 32bit version of the file, manually extracted it to the EQ directory, and magically could run SoF then. It seems EQ's application doesn't handle 64bit DLL API calls too well and there are some fundamental differences between the two dynamic libraries.

Perhaps your problem may be related to this 64bit-32bit directx issue, if you catch what i'm saying with all this.

@ resolution change, that's stored in a file eqclient.ini, e.g.
Code:
[VideoMode]
WindowedWidth=1280
WindowedHeight=1024
Width=1280
Height=768
FullscreenBitsPerPixel=32
FullscreenRefreshRate=0
WidthWindowed=1280
HeightWindowed=768
WinEQWidth=1280
WinEQHeight=1024

~Shin Noir
DungeonEQ.com
Old 11-12-2009, 07:56 PM
Xinlitik
Fire Beetle

Thanks for the advice everyone. I ended up reinstalling the game last night and it worked that time.

Aside from funky issues at first, eg the game becoming totally unresponsive, not even allowing me to kill the process in the task manager, it seems to be working fine.

I'll keep an eye out for any problems associated with the 64bit/32bit issues.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:11 PM
haynar
Developer

I am running Win 7 professional 64 bit, and I have zero problems running Titanium or SoF clients. Just running straight out of the box, with no changes to anything in the system, or install process.

Haynar
Old 05-03-2010, 08:02 PM
schenyih
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by haynar View Post
I am running Win 7 professional 64 bit, and I have zero problems running Titanium or SoF clients. Just running straight out of the box, with no changes to anything in the system, or install process.

Haynar
pls, you nvidia driver ver ?
i have to try ati vga in windows 7 64bit is ok
but i try nvidia vga card in windows7 64bit is not ok
(can play sof and titanium ,but not use luclin models and any house )
Old 03-06-2012, 03:28 PM
Nall
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by haynar View Post

Haynar
same here.. fresh install last week of Win 7 64 bit Business Edition - no problem installing straight out of the box

Last edited by Nall; 03-06-2012 at 03:30 PM.. Reason: Noticed it was already fixed .. oops
Old 02-10-2012, 06:09 PM
AGenheimer
Fire Beetle

I had this problem for a while and what worked for me was changing the computer's resolution... changed it from 1360x768 to 800x600 and it worked fine.

Although you could probably make a less drastic change as well, i just haven't tested it
Old 02-10-2012, 06:31 PM
lerxst2112
Demi-God

I'm gonna guess that since they had the problem a year and a half ago that they either figured it out by now, or will never read your reply. Good try though.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:59 PM
Rhyisa
Fire Beetle

@AGenheimer - It does work! Well, so far. I've been having horrible problems freezing up the computer, didn't matter what server I was on. No pattern to the freezing, just had to hard reboot. Though subjectively playtime was a bit longer than others due to the server hardware.

So here's what I did:

1) So I downloaded DirectX9 from this link:
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en...ang=en&id=6883

2) Then installed it. Rebooted, still crashing.

3) Went inside these cab files and extracted these files: (cab/file)

Aug2009_d3dx9_42_x86.cab/d3dx9_42.dll
Aug2009_XAudio_x86.cab/XAPOFX1_3.dll & XAudio2_5.dll

4) Put the extracted files in the main Everquest folder. Mine is C:\Games\EverQuest

Ran pretty well for about an hour. The reason why I got files out of the XAudio cab was because there was a pattern of a sound artifact or brief buzz just before I locked up completely. So it's unknown if it's the dx9 file, or the audio file that fixed it. Should have gone with one, then added the other. Bad former tech support!

Anyway, here's my system specs:
  • Win7 64-bit Ultimate
  • UAC turned off
  • AMD 3700 2.2GHz
  • 3GB memory
  • EQ shortcut in Administrator mode
  • Had previously run it with compatibility = no go
  • Had previously run it with Disabled visual themes & desktop composition = no go
  • nVidia drivers ver 285.62 for the 9600GT

Hope this really helps you and everyone else! I'm off to test other servers, like the Irreverent one.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:19 PM
Rhyisa
Fire Beetle

Just a quick update:

Yes this does work! I can play for hours now without a hard crash. Try it folks, especially those of you with 64-bit systems.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:00 PM
tarlace
Fire Beetle

I just installed on my laptop and have windows 7 64 bit. Tried all resolutions, installed direct x and still program wont load. Just flicked and that is all...
Old 02-22-2012, 04:50 PM
Rhyisa
Fire Beetle

Tarlace. Sorry to hear about that. Let's see what can be done.

So here's what I understand you've done:

You have Windows 7 on a laptop -
Installed DirectX9 - check
Extracted files and placed specific files into EQ directory - unknown if you have done that.
Run as Admin - I would assume you did, but unknown again.

Maybe a dual-core issue? Take a look at this:

http://www.eqemulator.net/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=EQEmuFAQ

In that page, do a ctrl+f to search for the word dual. It will take you to the section that talks about it.

I really do hope this helps out with the information you've given. Based upon newer laptops, they are usually usually dual-core

*sniff* I miss mine. :(