Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 03-11-2017, 12:48 PM
NostalgiaEQ
Banned

Default Need input on no-trade items

So I've gone through and made all magic items no-trade on my server. Making sure every item used in crafting is tradable. I was never a huge trader, but I would always save up plat to buy items I wanted. Well with a no trade server I and everyone else would be forced to figure out where the items we need drop and come up with a way to get them on our own. But what other issues would come from this? I have plat sinks in the form of nice temporary (and some permanent) items you can buy for lots of plat. But for people who love to trade does this sound horrible? Any other considerations people can come up with?
Old 03-12-2017, 09:25 PM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

no-trade encourages the adventure feel - the go find it yourself and gives a certain sense of accomplishment. It also kills twinking, which I despise.

At the same time, no-trade KILLS economy and discourages player socialization specially if server is mostly solo - no trades, no gifts, etc

Personally I think no-trade should only be reserved for raid-level loot, and twinking be dealt with req levels on items.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:32 PM
NostalgiaEQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosSlayerZ View Post
no-trade encourages the adventure feel - the go find it yourself and gives a certain sense of accomplishment. It also kills twinking, which I despise.

At the same time, no-trade KILLS economy and discourages player socialization specially if server is mostly solo - no trades, no gifts, etc

Personally I think no-trade should only be reserved for raid-level loot, and twinking be dealt with req levels on items.
Have to admit that is a really elegant solution. Actually harder to do that though because one would have to add an intelligent level req to thousands and thousands of items. But ya that would probably be better because when a player can wear the item, they are high enough to just farm it on their own anyway so there would be no pressing reason to buy anything.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:06 PM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

Well in my own server design all items broken into tiers, so I always know that lev X mob drops an item that has req lev X on it

You could probably write sql query that will look at min lev of a mob that drops item X and assign that lev as req lev to that item. May not actually be as easy as it sounds, may need an sql expert
Old 03-13-2017, 01:22 PM
NostalgiaEQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosSlayerZ View Post
Well in my own server design all items broken into tiers, so I always know that lev X mob drops an item that has req lev X on it

You could probably write sql query that will look at min lev of a mob that drops item X and assign that lev as req lev to that item. May not actually be as easy as it sounds, may need an sql expert
That is a great idea, im sure that's possible. But I think I'm going to stick to no-trade for now at least, mabye I'm wrong but I'm hoping this creates a crafting economy like the first few months of everquest when noone had good items to trade they actually crafted stuff to make money. But ya even in addition to no trade I may need to make level reqs anyway because people will get around it.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:39 PM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

Secrets and I implemented attuning and de-attuning items.

If you pick up an item, it's attuned from the bat (excludes anything with a platinum value > 1 copper)

You can then either use an NPC to do de-attuning or #deattune.

It fixed both issues.

Deattuning cost a ton of money.