Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:50 AM
ckimbrel
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean View Post
The reason the loginserver accounts were kept seperate is because with forum software involved and when this entire system was set up, SQL Injections into forum software was a common occurance. In order to protect the game accounts, they were kept seperate for that reason, neither having any more power to reset the other.

We also have to consider the fact that theres still a compromised database from 2007 floating around somewhere. They haven't been able to do damage to loginserver accounts with that unless people were stupid enough to make their passwords the same. Opening up the option for forum accounts to reset loginserver accounts would be bad times for anyone who hasn't changed their forum password yet.
Why keep this feature out because people refuse to change their password after 4 years? You could post a notice on here and get all the popular servers to do the same and if folks still don't do it it's up to them. It's incredibly frustrating for legit users to not have access to their accounts because there's no way to retrieve a forgotten password.

Why not just prompt users on login to set a secret question / answer and slowly migrate everyone over?
Old 03-10-2011, 08:03 AM
PetitScarabee
Fire Beetle

Why not allow LS password change only to forum accounts whose password has been changed after 2007 ? (providing this information is available).

Or, for people like me having one working LS account, could we just ask to copy the password from the working account to the not working ones ? This way passwords are still kept inside the login server.

Finally, if LS passwords just can't be retrieved at this time, even by PMing someone, the link in the user CP that seem to allow that should be changed to an information "REALLY just don't forget your LS passwords, because there is currently NO WAY to retreive them". I think it could save everyone some time. And with a good warning people will not assume the password can be retrieved easily with the forum account and make sure they keep it safe: sometimes I don't have my passwordsafe handy and trust the registered email address to allow me to recover my password if I forget it before I am able to store it.

I have personnally no interrest in getting back characters, I just want not to have two forum accounts while still having the option of two LS accounts. Still, if there is no other way I will just create another forum account. I just think it should be made clear, and most people would cease to bother the good guys allowing the login server to exist in the first place.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:14 AM
ckimbrel
Fire Beetle

It's ridiculous how this system is setup. I can't think of any community as popular as this without a password recovery feature. Really?
Old 03-26-2011, 10:11 PM
shimmerdark
Fire Beetle

Guess I'm not going to come back for Kunark then. This is something that is developed first if you expect the project to last more than a few months.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:45 AM
Secrets
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmerdark View Post
Guess I'm not going to come back for Kunark then. This is something that is developed first if you expect the project to last more than a few months.
EQEmulator has been around since 2003, I personally don't care if you are here or not, that's not the sole focus of this project.

There was a major security issue in 2006-2008ish timeframe which made us unable to make sure that all accounts were safe. You wanna find us a better idea? Brainstorm one and let us know.

PS: Project 1999 isn't EQEmulator. Don't whine at us about Kunark.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:27 PM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

P99 can also set up a private server login, can't they?
Old 03-27-2011, 05:31 PM
sorvani
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmerdark View Post
You do always have the option of actually being an intelligent human being and either remembering your account information, or if that is too much for you, then you could simply securely store your account information someplace. If that is still too much for you, you always have the option to simply write it down on a piece of paper and leave it laying out on your desk.

P.S. Don't care about P99 and Kunark.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:56 PM
drenth
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorvani View Post
You do always have the option of actually being an intelligent human being and either remembering your account information, or if that is too much for you, then you could simply securely store your account information someplace. If that is still too much for you, you always have the option to simply write it down on a piece of paper and leave it laying out on your desk.

P.S. Don't care about P99 and Kunark.
This is the most retarded reply I've ever seen.

End users forget passwords constantly. In a system with as many users as EQEmu, you'd think, MAYBE there'd be a way to recover passwords. There's not even a warning that login server passwords are unrecoverable if forgotten to ensure users understand their importance.

It's an extreme oversight with weak reasoning. Security reasons, really? Just looks like Rogean was too busy / lazy to bother.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:31 PM
sorvani
Dragon

Happy to help. Glad you missed the point.

Would some type of reset mechanism be nice, yes. But the project has decided not to implement one and you not knowing that is not their problem.

Your password is your responsibility, do not whine and complain if you can not manage to handle something that basic.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:35 AM
Bamzal
Sarnak

Since 2003? bro look at my join date. Im oldschool and i never forget passwords =)
Old 05-01-2011, 08:12 AM
keithHen
Fire Beetle

I for one quit and forgotten my PW. I really wish they would implement a recovery and would donate to see this happen.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:59 PM
keithHen
Fire Beetle

Rogean are you working on a recovery tool? If your short on donations to see this happen just pm me bro.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:46 PM
devn00b
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrets View Post
EQEmulator has been around since 2003, I personally don't care if you are here or not, that's not the sole focus of this project.
EQEMu started On Dec 6 2001. Image, Hogie, Pyrotek, Quagmire, and a couple others were the developers at the time, Tuxracer was running the website. I joined the team later that same year.

The original sourceforge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/eqemu/) still exists and lists the date as 12/4/01.

EQEmulator is just a rename of the same project when Hogie (I think) left the project with the domain.
Member of the "I hate devn00b" Club
Most Senior EQEMu Member.

Current Work: EverQuest 2 Emulator. Zeklabs Server
Old 05-05-2011, 04:43 PM
Kruel
Fire Beetle

PLEASE allow password resets!!
Old 06-24-2011, 03:25 PM
Daerrin
Fire Beetle

I'm in a slightly different situation. I know my loginserver account name / pw, need to change the password of the LS account, but cannot because for some reason I either a) cannot find the forum account or b) the Heallun forum account is linked to an e-mail address that apparently isn't mine (I have one e-mail and it's linked to this one). If anyone's savvy enough to help figure that one out I'd be obliged ;P