Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 10-02-2004, 07:33 AM
Accio
Sarnak

Default Classic War Battle Type Server

Well I'm Still deciding if i want to make a server yet or not, have the time etc but here's my basic idea.

I was reading milasamo or w/e that guys name was with the PoP Progression server. Thought it was a great idea. And then i thought of an event i held a while back and thought maybe merging that type of thing with a progression server.

Heres my basic thought-First i'd like some opinions first, so i can decide if i have time to make the server or if anyone would like to make the server with me if i do decide to make it.

In EQ there are alot of zones with a nice battlefield type area. Classic 2 sides attack each other. Ok, gonna give you guys an example of my plan, Gonna start the idea off with lets say, a ranger, or pally. Alright Pally sounds good to start with. So we gonna start with a Half elven Pally.

You start off in lets say, Freeport. Your guildmaster gives you a quest, noob easy quest, defend the Temple of Marr from a skeleton/undead invasion. You receive a bag full of junk plate armor and a nice/decent weapon and you Ding 10 (just for safety purposes). You make your way to the Front Gates in West Frpt, theres about 100-150 Skellies...Each have a cheap weapon...maybe a fine steel longsword, they are level 7-8ish. You and a couple of NPC freeport guards(guards are about level Each guard is assigned a target to attack, you do w/e you need to kill em, then the main skelly spawns. Kill em etc get his loot bring it back to your guildmaster.

Thats just an example of a low level. You go throw lots of quests involving events. Lets say once you reach level 70-75, you are pretty much fully equipped, time/GoD armor and an awesome weapon. Then we go along the GoD storyline, Morden Rasp and a boat of adventurers invade GoD to explore, stop the Realm of Discord from destroying Norrath you know the story. Find a good field based zone then you got a huge army, Archers, Soldiers, Morden Rasp and his DE buddy, Mages, Wizzards, etc. you and whoever else is on the server are among that army (lets say 300 people on your side? ) Then you got the other side, ukuns, ikaavs, kyvs, golems etc, all matched with your guys. same concept as the skelly invasion cept much harder and you must rely on your allies and strategy to move around. Maybe if possible you can do a [brackers quote] and make whoever take his army toward the shore and lead them out, or [take your quadrant down the middle] and it relies on strategy. Thats only if thats possible. Dunno tho.

but as you go along you can make different choices for different events. if you lose the skelly battle, it causes you to go to a PoP type event with rallos as the leader, his minions, tz and rz at his side etc. Mostly one of those charging skirmishes or rather 1 ecounter then a chain or events.

Well its a really complicated idea but i thought it might be alot of fun and people might enjoy it. I dunno how hard it would be to make, from the sounds of it it would sound very tough but i'll see. Gonna go do some research. Give me some suggestions, opinions, anything you wanna suggest. W/e just an idea of what im thinking i might do if i have the time and patience to do it.

-Ragnrok the Prophet of Time [EMU Tag]
Old 10-02-2004, 05:07 PM
Deimos
Hill Giant

Great idea, except for this. The player is obviously going to be leveling until these things give him no xp, and he is going to have maxed skills. This will probably happen after the first 20 skeletons, unless you change the exp equation. When this happens, he will easily be able to beat off all of the skeletons on his own, except for another factor in the equation.

On 5.9 DR1, melee cannot regenerate hp, so you would have to have a buffer that gave regeneration I or something, otherwise, you would have to fix this problem, and there is one more problem.

This sounds like mainly solo events, so, what would happen when, lets say an enchanter, which can't solo worth anything, wants to play on the server. How would u do this?

Great idea, u just need to figure those things out =D
Old 10-02-2004, 08:20 PM
KhaN
Dragon

First, when creating/thinking the gameplay of your server, do not take EQEmu bugs into consideration, because they will be fixed either by you or the community at one moment.

For me, a major flaw into your server gameplay is the fact a big part will be based on singleplayer scripted events. Keep in mind that if people play MMO, its to have interaction with PC, not with scripted NPC.

Old 10-03-2004, 05:50 AM
Malignus Wingnut
Hill Giant

Default Re: Classic War Battle Type Server

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accio
I was reading milasamo or w/e that guys name was with the PoP Progression server.
Is my name really that hard to remember? Lol.

Anyways its a good idea, however it doesnt leave much for groups or larger raids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accio
Ding 10 (just for safety purposes).
This basically will make the event so much easier. Unless you have skeletons agroing in huge clumps the player is going to be able to defend themselves quite adequately. Also with the experience they will rapidly advance beyond the level where the event is challenging in any way and defeat the purpose.

Also...100-150 mobs of the same kind in any one place close together = such insane lag, especially if they all attack together.

I would have quest scrpits running timers spawning waves of mobs, and if any one mob crosses a border line (xyz coords) the whole event despawns and you have to try again. This adds in a need-more-than-one-person challenge and will also make classes who are not adept at soloing melee style or with large numbers of mobs (chanters, wizards, etc. unless very high level) have a chance of actually clearing the event. After the final wave, the boss will spawn. Id also reccomend making the boss much higher level than the smaller mobs and even make each wave stronger, because the person will be recieving so much exp if you plan to have 100ish mobs in an event.

Just my 2cp.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:47 AM
Accio
Sarnak

Ok Sounds like something to think about. I obviously forgot about those possible problems. Will think about em now. Thanks and yes your name was hard to remember after reading about 30 more different posts :P