Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 07-10-2018, 01:11 PM
kris1
Sarnak

Default Complete NOOB!!!

I have my server up and running...i can at least log into it and it seems to function well. Haven't done much though.

I was trying to start learning about how to change my server's rules, and it seems like i am missing something. I've read a bunch of explanations and I can't for the life of me even begin to see what they are talking about.

I found HeidiSQL...I opened it...another mystery. I see people explain it like it should be obvious, but it's not.

So if anyone knows of a good guide for the basics of how to modify your server rules...I mean BASICS, like I have no idea what file or files in my server folder is even the database...or can give me a brief tutorial on how to get my server's DB open inside of heidiSQL...anything.

Thanks in advance for any help
Old 07-10-2018, 02:06 PM
HuginnNavarita
Fire Beetle

DB is basically a service....its like a server running, you will not find any active files on your drive....

what is confusing to start with is the many ways to interact with it....most experts will recommend you learn the basics...that is a solid advice, but hard to wrap your head around.

1. Direct access (the expert way)

then you log in with a command and BINGO you are at a prompt and got no clue what todo haha you can see information in tables and also you can update or insert a new line in the table.

2. GUI graphical interface, then a client will connect to the DB same way as in Nr.1 and you can then more visually see the structure of the whole thing, those clients are many and have many different functions. This can be the best way to start as long as you understand the structure of DB and different applications, as these clients most often offer a BACKUP of tables or whole DB.

3. You dump the whole DB or part of it into a .sql file...this can be treated as a text file, you can edit and work with it, then you can upload all of it or part of it. Lets say you export out of DB only 1 table you want to edit, when done you can upload the table again and it has a function where it deletes the old table and uploads the new one you just edited.

Best way is to BACKUP the whole DB before and after you do any changes, and if working alot with only 1 table, more backups of that table. DB's are very sensitive to CASE errors...I can not count how many times I mess up a DB cause I forgot a ' or used a ` instead, if any errors occur the whole DB wont run (I'm tired...this is BS haha but can happen).

the FUN part is messing with it and figuring things out.

I am far from an expert in DB's and I'm sure others have there own ways. Just a script-kiddy that hacks my way until I find a way haha

GL !
Old 07-10-2018, 02:39 PM
kris1
Sarnak

I ran "t_database_backup.bat" and it created a zip file in a "backups" folder. Do I just make a copy of that back up to attain an .sql that I can then modify with a program like HeidiSQL?
Old 07-10-2018, 03:01 PM
HuginnNavarita
Fire Beetle

HeidiSQL is a client that you would use to connect directly to the DB and do your backup there, then all work directly.

the .bat does a dump of the DB, and you could unzip the file to see SQL most likely, edit...upload it after, take good care to notice if uploaded file has REPLACE or if it will make a duplicate.

Look into how to connect HeidiSQL to the running DB, you will need a IP address and port, then user and PW