Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 03-29-2018, 01:06 AM
Tegila
Hill Giant

Default Questnpcs don't work in tutorial or beyond.

Ok after getting server up from the installer, and getting it to enter the world, my one housemate got on almost right away and was fine for a while but then he had an issue with the rat steak combine in tutorial that froze inventory etc so he logged.

After he left server and I tried to open the oven he was using it said someone was using it, but I was only one in the game. I left the zone for a while and when I came back all seemed good again.

Fastfwd a few hours and another housemate started the game. Was able to get 1 hail update in the hail quest in tutorial, but then all quest npcs stopped responding to her. I tried repopping zone, killing them off, forcing respawns etc, still wouldn't work. She relogged, same issue still. Eventually I got them to respond to me once so I thought it was all set.

It wasn't, she still couldn't get a response to either acquire or update any quests. Auto quests like the one gotten zoning to pok 1st time, can be acquired though and the tutorial baking quest that isn't really a quest, works fine with appropriate dialog. No response from quest npc if a quest entry would be acquired or updated.

. Tried zoning her to crescent reach to see if tutorial issue but same deal there. The quest worked for first housemate so not an error from install. My daughter then made an account and started a toon, but she too had same issue so not a bug on toon or account.

I know these quests are working on public emu servers, the one I performed was on peqtgc itself, so I don't think it's the newness of this tutorial and expansion, but it's possible. I should attempt getting NPC responses in fully supported expansions to see if it continues.

Failing that, where should I look to fix this? Could it be related to My problem enabling mercs or populating their merchants? I get error that the columns can't be found to update, but other mods to same tables have run fine.

Unrelated, but what is a usable command to respawns something that's been killed? I tried multiple spawn etc commands to try to repop a mobile barrel but no matter which is number o used I got an unnamed human guy level 1 with no xp or loot on kills. I know can specify every single aspect, but are there not presets to spawn anew for a mob like that? Any mob that always spawns in the given zone. Repopping the zone didnt work in this case probably because they're barrels, but i couldnt find them in any other type like container though they can be /opened as well as meleed. I had to try several commands to get quest npcs to respawns after I killed them trying to fix the issue started thread for, but they may have just respawned on their own regardless of command as it took a few minutes.

I ran into one command that said I wasn't flagged to use, but I was using GM level 250 so not sure why. It was something to reset all scripts and respawn mobs worldwide. Tried it hoping restarting the scripts might fix the npcs but couldnt run it.

Thanks for any help in advance.
Old 03-29-2018, 02:13 AM
c0ncrete
Dragon

Looked at your zone logs?
Old 03-29-2018, 05:58 AM
phantomghost
Hill Giant

To respawn, I don't think there is one. But you can look up the npc ID and dbspawn it.

As far as quests, you could try redownloading them. Quest files are stored inside the zones folder, maybe they are missing? I never had issues with pre-existing quests like that.

Not sure if there are any gm commands defaulted over 250, but I for some reason always flag myself 255. I have never used mercs, so not sure there.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:12 AM
GRUMPY
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomghost View Post
Quest files are stored inside the zones folder, maybe they are missing?
Quests are in the quests folder in the main eqemu server directory (folder). If you look at the
screenshot of my server folder (eqemu), all the server files are in there. Maps and quests,
plugins, etc., are in their own subfolders. I do my own compiling and manual installs, so I
have the option of naming the main server folder whatever I want, and put it wherever.
But I assume the "auto-installer" puts it in a default setup for all users ?

To enable mercs is quite simple. First, go into rule_values table in database. There is a rule in
there to enable them (set to "true"). Then you have to set all the merc merchant npc's class
to 71. They should work fine after that. Also, is your plugins folder populated ?

Not sure how your server files are all setup, but standard way is similiar to what you see below.

Old 03-29-2018, 08:53 AM
phantomghost
Hill Giant

I thought the quest folder was populated with zone folders where you have the quest plugins?

So, if I want aediles thrall in pok instead of bazaar, I'd copy/paste his plugin from bazaar to poknowledge... And of course create aediles thrall in pok.

Cannot check but I just remember going into each zone I added a quest to specifically...
Old 03-29-2018, 09:12 AM
GRUMPY
Discordant

Sorry phantom, all you said was "Quest files are stored inside the zones folder", but I wasn't reading that as you
intended (I think). You didn't mention the "zone folders" were in the "quests folder" Our lines were crossed, but
I will just drink more coffee
Old 03-29-2018, 01:44 PM
Tegila
Hill Giant

well idk what did it but their quests and npc responses are working again, all i did was go to bed lol. however, and this was a one-time bug, one of my other housemates logged in with 10 inventory slots, played a while, went ot sell somthing in the 9th slot and was told it oculdnt find it, relogged and was back to 8 slots. I have no idea how these changes are even happening i havent done anything to the server itself since we started playing, only things i can do within game with gm commands
oh and im pretty sure i set my gm level to 255 just forgot when i was writing the post, sorryl.
Old 03-29-2018, 05:31 PM
Uleat
Developer

Don't play with GM on..and only then if you really feel the need to do things as a GM.

The GM flag allows the client to see the 2 additional unsupported slots available in RoF+ clients.

To reiterate, they are not supported and will 'eat' any items you put into them (EDIT) and cause probable inventory sync issues.

Try
Code:
#repop force
to induce a zone-wide spawn timer reset.

The issue with the world object showing 'in-use' by another player when no one else is around could be a bug and we can look into that.

Report back if that issue comes up again.

Compilin' Dirty
Old 03-29-2018, 07:43 PM
Tegila
Hill Giant

yeah it fixed itself after a while with no one in the zone at least.
good to know that playing as gm flags for 10 bags. i tempflagged the toon in question as a gm so he could #zone back to tutorial (still not sure why we can be in there past lvl 10, or is the cap 20? im in there as lvl 100 gm but..gm... or is there just no level cap in the emu? will have to be sure to use different accounts than my gm one for really playing since i assume turning my gm flag off from inside the game wont fix that bag issue once already in the game, but unless im jsut helping the other guys while they figure out the whole how to play aspect, im mostly on as gm to learn how to mod and/or build various parts of the game.

i managed to get zone to repop that way and some other commands but the npcs werent repopping with some of them, and it wasnt fixing the quest issue. but the quest issue fixed itself overnight for whatever reason. both accts affected had relogged etc and that hadnt worked, and the zone had been repopped (to try to fix if npc issue)

and the oven being in use i still dont know, but that also fixed after zone itself reset. i didnt try a repop force for that issue, but leaving the zone empty for a while im guessing is how it got fixed.

now i jsut have to get the mercs to turn on, find out if my xp mod actually took effect, and start making my todo list for later expacs. still dont know how to force a mob to spawn that is an exact duplicate of mob xyz from gm mode, but im sure ill figure it out in the coding. just not sure how to populate zones outside the game, and know where the mobs are going to spawn just using coordinates lol. learning curve
Old 03-29-2018, 08:07 PM
Uleat
Developer

Code:
#gm off
-and-
#gm on
affect the client instantly, regardless of account status.

I don't think #repop affects world objects, only actual npcs.

The level 10 limit is coded into the client enter world/zone processing code.

Some commands actually do check GM flag to bypass some rules, however.

Compilin' Dirty
Old 03-29-2018, 08:22 PM
Tegila
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUMPY View Post
Quests are in the quests folder in the main eqemu server directory (folder). If you look at the
screenshot of my server folder (eqemu), all the server files are in there. Maps and quests,
plugins, etc., are in their own subfolders. I do my own compiling and manual installs, so I
have the option of naming the main server folder whatever I want, and put it wherever.
But I assume the "auto-installer" puts it in a default setup for all users ?

To enable mercs is quite simple. First, go into rule_values table in database. There is a rule in
there to enable them (set to "true"). Then you have to set all the merc merchant npc's class
to 71. They should work fine after that. Also, is your plugins folder populated ?

Not sure how your server files are all setup, but standard way is similiar to what you see below.
ok i am still having serious issues following anything talkign about the database, becasuse i cant FIND my database anywhere, and if i do a search for rule_values all i get i a 4 line text file that names it under data tables, and a bunch of dated notes and updates to said table...but not the table itself. I have no idea where to really start here, though once i figure that out i can figure the mods out within on my own.

having used the windows installer, i have almost exaclty whats in your ss there, but dont have templates, import or export, templates, update backups or updated templates. im assuming all those things are because i havent done any modding to the server so nothing but the standard has been isntalled.

i have top folder on drive is EQ, then i have EQEmuir(the server) eqemuserver which i made for a backup, Source, and SQL folders. SQL has 9 files, one is text readme the rest sql files.

...Nevermind what I was typing, but im leaving it to explain why i was having trouble... I finally found my database...it was nowhere near where i was looking (in my eq>server etc folders) but is instead under programfiles>mariadb>data>peq and that was my big hangup lol. now all the talk of database makes sooo much more sense
Old 03-30-2018, 12:52 AM
GRUMPY
Discordant

There is various tools and/or utilities for managing and editing your server. Some are simply
individual preference, such as the Navicat and tools I use to edit the database, as well as
programs like Notepad++ to edit text files such as configs and quest scripts. There is item
and spell editors, as well as Akka's online EOC which can be tedious for some to get setup.
Gaining all the knowledge for setting up, running and custom editing a server is just like the
grind of progressing a toon, but that "grind" can be more time consuming than playing P99.

Below is a screenshot of how I keep the EQ related shortcuts on my desktop. I like to keep
things setup for easy one-click access, on the fly when I need it. Just my own preference.

Note - this is only 50 percent of my shortcuts organized for the purpose of this example.

Old 03-30-2018, 02:08 PM
Tegila
Hill Giant

Thanks grumpy. I've seen a lot of the tools floating around, but a lot I can't even figure out how to setup to see if I like it vs another, and I see a lot about georges tools, but I can't find them lol. EOC I know is pretty comprehensive but what I can tell it's not for Windows, just picking what to get started with is a little daunting at this point, but I wanna get going doing stuff too not take it slow lol. Like, I find most of the changes I want to make are in the same format, and trying to see if a way to get them all together on a machine without and of the software via notepad then just transfer and paste into mysql, that would be great. I'm gonna need something to mass edit mobs in zones, create and populate merchants, and quests/npcs as my aim is to fill out most of the missing stuff. Not the details so much as the big main stuff so it can be played to 100. The detailed stuff would take forever, thus why it's not done yet I know lol, but a lot is already there just needs tweaking or finishing.
I've never been much with coding etc, but with the basics , the rest will fall into place for me.

I don't want to make new stuff really aside a quest/NPC here and there, mostly mod what's there. I need to work on Windows, preferably not on the server directly, and I'd like to be able to do mass updates at once that can be prepped on another machine. What editors do you think would be best to work with for me to start? The attempt at manually building was first and only time I've ever even messed with github so not even familiar with getting stuff from there.
Old 03-30-2018, 02:20 PM
GRUMPY
Discordant

Check out ALL the forums on this page - http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/index.php
You have to scroll down to see them all. One for George's Tools there as well
Old 03-30-2018, 03:33 PM
Tegila
Hill Giant

yeah i saw the forum for his tools, but i didnt see where to get them in it, jsut talkign about whether it was working or not etc, unless it's not stickied or even on the first page.

the eoc forum was where i kept seeing that you had to run it on linux not windows, but if there is a way to run on windows without a linux vm, i'd be happy to use that just saw no mention of it.

the last post in kayotro forum is 7 years old, description of worldbuilding one says posting databases themselves, the PEQeditor might work for me but idk just how involved it is or isnt..so i will check that one out if i can, and theres a sticky about portable servers that might benefit my offline editing mission, but jsut in the 1 forum (3rd party tools) there are dozens discussed which is a little too many choices to start with...great for later though. Ill definitely be messing with shendares item editor IF i find stuff thats missing form the game, but so far everything ive looked for through the endgame RoF, is there just bags cap at 10slots and augslot21 is missing, so idk what id need to edit for items other than droprates, and i dont think thats part of this editor.

i guess im having same issue as Dremis couple years ago, but idk if he gave up or found his solution lol. at least his thread has goerges tools site linked..just everything's 2yrs old or more and idk how to get versions that work currently, or do these links go to current versions just the site itself hasnt been updated?

lol i guess this is what its like for someone that never played eq or ANY mmorpg before getting plopped in eq today with like a heroic character (lvl 85) and having to figure out the thousands of aa's, hundreds of spells, hundreds of zones, as well as how to just not get killed walking around lol. i'll figure it out, just i can get tied up for hours just investigating one aspect of something so having dozens of somethings to check out and compare...itd take me a month just to pick one to work with to start with lol. should i jsut grab georges tools off the georges tools site, and the peq editor, and figure them out and then move on? or arent they really the most beginner friendly? i konw they are very versatile but versatile often isnt best to learn on.