Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:53 AM
John Adams
Demi-God

Default Idle Players

Anyone,

I'm curious what it is I am seeing on my server (The Abyss), where tons of players appear to be logging in, and standing in the exact spot of creation, and not moving, for weeks at a time. 10 players, all piled up in the center of Nexus, for instance...

Are they really there? Who starts an EQ Titanium client, logs in, creates a toon, then leaves it standing in 1 spot for weeks? Are they actually disconnected, but my server hasn't noticed? Is this a bug with the ancient code needed to run Abyss's DB? maybe...

Just curious, since this doesn't seem to happen on my other EQEmu server (MT:R). Players log in there, play fine, and log out. No traffic jams at the point of creation.

Thought I would ask, because I cannot figure out if it's just me, or if people really just leave clients running endlessly... for whatever purpose.

Paranoiadly yours
J
Old 12-01-2011, 01:28 PM
Karayrem
Sarnak

I did try logging on there one time awhile ago, I found myself in the middle of nexus unable to move or do anything. It was unplayable and I felt like I was stuck on top of other players. I had to alt-control-delete to force the game to shutdown.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:06 PM
John Adams
Demi-God

Ohh... I bet the DB has #serverrules enabled. That might explain the standing in one place... still wondering why no one ever seems to log out. That can't be too much fun

Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:50 AM
trevius
Developer

If you are running old code, then yes, a few years ago there was a windows bug that caused players to ghost on the server. It causes major log entries that can use up your hard drive quickly and also continues to use bandwidth and other odd stuff.

That bug has since been resolved along with a ton of other known bugs and exploits. Also, the recent memory leak fix makes a huge difference.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:23 PM
John Adams
Demi-God

Thanks, Trev (when you coming to EQ2Emulator, btw? ~swat~ ~poke~ ~jab~ )

I hesitate making any effort updating the Abyss DB to work with new code, but I can see I really can't solve any problems being on a 2007 emu. Blah... maybe after the holidays.

Thanks for the help/reminder.