Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Linux Servers

Support::Linux Servers Support forum for Linux EQEMu users.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:14 PM
brainiac2k
Fire Beetle

Default Effortless Linux EQEmu in VM with Vagrant

I built a vm environment with vagrant, that will construct a fully functional VM running EQEmu. It builds it from scratch, from source using the latest code.

See: https://github.com/brainiac/eqemu-env

Virtually no work is required, provided you have Vagrant installed and functional. See http://www.vagrantup.com for information on getting and installing Vagrant

By running "vagrant up" and following the instructions you will have a linux based eqemu in a matter of minutes (dependent on the speed of your internet and cpu)

I am accepting suggestions, pull requests, etc. Just let me know if this works for you or if you think things could be improved.

edit: This was loosely inspired by ProSkeptic's post: http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35116
Old 02-24-2013, 01:43 PM
LordAdakos
Sarnak

Code:
 * The box 'base' could not be found.
started with 'vagrant up', told me i needed to 'vagrant init' so I did.

then I do 'vagrant up' and I get this message.

What steps have I missed?

- Do I need to vagrant box add base <url?>

edit: I've done a
Code:

git clone http://github.com/EQEmu/Server.git f:\VAGRANTVM
cd f:\VAGRANTVM
vagrant up
(error)
vagrant init
vagrant up (errror)
Old 02-24-2013, 03:51 PM
Xumtiil
Sarnak

Huh. I was just trying to update proskeptic's post, looks like you did it differently. See my script from a thread or two down, I've now adapted it to git and everything loads, but I get kicked when I select the server to play. Once I have that ironed out, if I find the issue, Yours is a good vm solution and mine a base os one.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:19 PM
brainiac2k
Fire Beetle

LordAdakos:

I'll check this on a clean windows vm box and make sure I didn't miss anything in the configuration. (My main box is a mac)
Old 02-24-2013, 09:10 PM
brainiac2k
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
Huh. I was just trying to update proskeptic's post, looks like you did it differently. See my script from a thread or two down, I've now adapted it to git and everything loads, but I get kicked when I select the server to play. Once I have that ironed out, if I find the issue, Yours is a good vm solution and mine a base os one.
I had this same issue as well. It turned out the worldserver's configuration for ip address was incorrect, so the client was failing to transfer to the worldserver
Old 02-24-2013, 09:12 PM
brainiac2k
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainiac2k View Post
LordAdakos:

I'll check this on a clean windows vm box and make sure I didn't miss anything in the configuration. (My main box is a mac)
It seems I did not read your post fully. You need to clone my repo in my first post. You're cloning the EQEmu source.

My repository contains the information to run vagrant to set up the VM. If you want to clone the EQEmu source as well, then make a directory called "source" and run git clone on the Server repo inside of that before running vagrant up (it is all documented in my repo)
Old 02-24-2013, 10:39 PM
LordAdakos
Sarnak

whoops. my apologies. I uhh, guess i screwed up there - its loading up now, sweet
Old 04-22-2013, 10:14 AM
realakshun
Fire Beetle

Default shared_memeory changes

Getting following error @ compile time:

Running CMake...
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: /home/vagrant/source/build
Building EMuShareMem...
make: *** No rule to make target `EMuShareMem'. Stop.
Building EMuShareMem failed.

Was able to get over this by changing target to sharedmemeory in build script.

Had to manually move log.ini and shared_memory binary into server directory and modify startup script to start shared_memory.

I think you need to modify your scripts to incorporate recent chnages to shared memory.

Otherwise, thanks for this very easy setup

Cheers
Old 06-05-2013, 05:56 PM
volkmeer
Fire Beetle

Default Script order

Is there a particular order to run the build scripts? I have not used this product to configure virtual machines, but your process seems sound and I would like to try it. Just wondering on the order then to run the scripts to load the VM within the virtual machine and then what order to run the EQemu scripts.

Volkmeer
Old 06-05-2013, 10:57 PM
volkmeer
Fire Beetle

Default Figured out the order of scripting

I figures out the order of scripting.

I get the same memory compile error, but I do not really understand how you fixed it in the previous post where it is mentioned.

Could someone help me?

Volkmeer
Old 06-09-2013, 10:23 AM
volkmeer
Fire Beetle

I was able to make the necessary changes and additions to make this work with the current release. I may post later the changes that have to be made.

Volkmeer