Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::News

General::News EQemu news posts.

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 12:04 PM
techguy84
Discordant

I'm dropping my donation this weekend. Wont be alot at the momemnt as I was not expecting things come up so sudden. Heck, I didnt even know donations were needed until now, as no one has mentioned it lately. Prob @ 20 or so. I got a nice job coming up to build 10 pc's for a local powerplant. That should fill my pockets quite nicely and I will be able to put up a little more.

Hey Doodman, hows things looking? We're all as ansy as little school girls in here wanting to know how things are going.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:15 PM
Drakkuo
Fire Beetle

Well, I was really happy to find EQEmu and it would be a shame to lose it after finding it; so I will do what I can. As a few other people have mentioned, it would be nice to know what the $ goal is to sustain the project is, but of course that could also work against donations (oh, we're almost there, I don't need to donate...).

Since the project is under 10 days to raise the funds, I can't pitch in at this time, but I'm scheduled for 2 raises in the next 2 months, which will give my finances a healthy boost.

I was originally going to go live, before finding this project and if my donation in the future will help everyone enjoy it, them I know where my coins are going.

Hope others can help the project out until those who are not in a position at the moment, can get ready.

Mr. Mook.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:17 PM
Richardo
Banned

How about for the mean time, get a virtual server. It's cheap and should work as a temporary solution for the mean time... I have a dedicated 100mbit box in Chicago but it's windows and i'm quite sure the developers want to keep the LoginServer as private as possible!
Old 05-03-2007, 12:41 PM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

Don't worry about how much you donate, If you look at the history, very few people have even donated at all, I think we already broke the donation record with what we have done.
I really appreciate you all helping out with what you can. I know Doodman works long hours and is always pressed for time. He'll get here and post also.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:58 PM
Doodman
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelox
This link will lead you straight to Doodmans paypal donate;
http://sourceforge.net/donate/index.php?user_id=1113174
select what ever amount you want to donate, and you will get to an option for credit card, or if your a PayPaler, sign in and pay.

Doodman is the one to donate to , he carrys the bills.
You can view who already donated here
I am not the the only one "carrying the bills". FatherNitWit and I cover any expenses that we do incur. Most are minor since Krusher has graciously donated hosting services (and server) until now.

Below is FatherNitWit's donation link:
http://sourceforge.net/donate/index.php?user_id=997843

Sending to either of us will have the same result. We try hard to not outright ask for money. But in cases like this, covering this kind of expense with only our personal funds is not something we wish to do.

Thanks to all who have donated thus far.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:23 PM
MrBlueberry
Fire Beetle

i wish i could donate but i have a ton of bills =/ sorry folks but i wish you luck i love eqemu
Old 05-03-2007, 01:36 PM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueberry
i wish i could donate but i have a ton of bills =/ sorry folks but i wish you luck i love eqemu
Don't wory about it, that's why it's called "donations" (not an obligation).
Old 05-03-2007, 10:18 PM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

Sometimes I wonder why even try? A few dry words when you feel like it is not a solution. If i had a "pet" and got tired of him, I'd give him to a friend and let him take care of it so he wouldn't become abandoned and improperly cared for.
I guess I just get too carried away , and expect more than I should.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:23 PM
Rocko
Fire Beetle

Just a thought, but when people start donating money consistently, it might be a good idea to post reciepts and whatnot about where the money is going. Not so much to please those who donated, but when people see this they will be more likely to help out. I've seen other emu servers ask for donations and then just take off with the money and shut their server down and close their forums. Not to say that that will happen here as I'm sure you're all reasonable people that are working towards a common goal, so 100$ wouldnt be enough money for you to throw it all away. Sorry if somebody else posted this idea but i was too tired to read all the replies =P

Just my 2cp,
Rocksteady
Old 05-03-2007, 11:50 PM
Whuppee
Fire Beetle

Wow. Glad I decided to check the forums today rather than waiting a few more. I'll get around ~$16 off to you guys within the next 24 hours. (heh, rather pay you guys the normal subscription fee than SOE)

Though unnecessary (hell, I'll sign in to do so once a month).. I seem to recall someone telling me that paypal offered a subscription payment feature. If so, that'd certainly aid consistent payments/donations.

I really couldn't care less about perks. If they'll help pull in donations, and if they're as harmless as special titles/etc... why not? But if they'd take much any effort whatsoever to implement.. I'd much rather see that effort invested in the emu.

Here's hoping our efforts will be sufficient to keep this running.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:39 AM
EmanonCow
Sarnak

If you guys can use the lowest end hosting solution (99$/month), that is only 5$ per month from 20 people.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:51 PM
GeorgeS
Forum Guide

Of course I cannot claim to understand why the server has such high demands of the loginserver, but anyway, what bandwidth is needed?

On my home DSL I am getting 6mbit up , 0.75mbit down, and that even can host a handfull of players if I so wanted to run a server. What exactly does the loginserver require for the number of players that use it? - would a 1mbit upload connection work well enough?

I'm downloading Abyss Web Server X1 2.4 now and it supports MySQL and a host of other things for (Mac/Intel/Linux/XP/Vista) etc..

I'm going to set it up tonight on my server and will try to get a message board going - a long and overdue thing for my site.

GeorgeS

http://www.georgestools.chrsschb.com//
Old 05-04-2007, 10:44 PM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

The first thing that needs to be done is some form of communication needs to be established between you, the donors and them, the owners.
What you all did this week by donating to this project is becoming a rare thing on the internet - it just goes to show you really care about EqEmu (be it 1.00 or 100.00).
I think the biggest problem with donations at EqEmu is the method that's used via Sourceforge. I still do not fully understand why it all has to be like that.
I don't think I've ever "internet-donated" to anything before. If we "tilted" Doodmans paypal but were supposed to "tilt" FNW too, that's no problem, next month we'll tilt FNW's paypal.
But we (or at least me) would like to know what's going on, or even if this helps.
We are trying, and we hope you are too.
We want to feel like we're part of this too?
Right now I feel like there's a group of us that really like this whole scene , and love browsing the forums, chatting, helping each other out , and fiddling with our servers - but someone in a black cloak is standing by the wall with "the plug" in their hand, counting down the days to pull it out, putting an end to it all.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:38 AM
techguy84
Discordant

I think that the paypal via SF was just a easy way to do things. Now that the project is going to be driven more so by donations then before, there may be a need for a better donation system. As long as the money goes where it is supposed to thats fine by me. Well, time to jump over to SF and put in a little bit to help out.
Old 05-05-2007, 04:24 AM
Krazed
Fire Beetle

I have been reading all of this, and I know you guys don't know me but I have a few opinions on this subject.

First off, having been around for only a few weeks I can't say I'm any sort of veteran of Eqemulator. However, I played for years on live. What I noticed looking through this last night, was that alot of people are playing blindly. (ie: they don't know this is happening because they never go to the forums) I told my guild (server) last night and a few more people now know that didn't and may just help out because of that fact.

Then another blind fact came up: How much do we need total? What's our donation goal for this time around so we don't lose hosting. I think we need to find that out asap, and make it well known so we can maybe have someone fill in the gap if we're close but failing.

My point with all this is that we need a bit more info, and we need to inform our users and players within the servers themselves. Not just on the forums because I know alot of people don't come back here but alot of people still play.

These are just suggestions. Take them as you will. I plan on donating.

Sorry if this seems harsh or blunt, I just woke up and don't intend it to sound that way.
Closed Thread