Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 09-01-2007, 04:05 PM
sonicintuition
Hill Giant

Default Compiling help ...yes another one of THOSE threads :)

Hey all,

I have a quick question regarding compiling the emu with VC++ 2005 express - I got it to build, yay for me, however ...it also compiled with 40 some warnings ...does this happen to everyone or am I doing something wrong? Will this affect the compiled executables?

Sonic
Old 09-02-2007, 01:23 AM
John Adams
Demi-God

Warnings do not matter much. There are lots of 'you shouldn't compare this value with that value' warnings that are just that; warnings. Errors are the only show stoppers. Worst thing that could happen with a warning is the code is not as optimized as it could be, but for Emu, it's negligible.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:02 AM
WildcardX
Developer

Actually..

I remember in my first CSCI courses with C++ my instructor putting it like this.. "in systems development, treat warnings like errors and errors as worst errors.".

Warnings really shouldnt be ignored, but yes they are normal for the eqemu code atm. Most of those warnings are flagging things like deprecated functions and such, which are serious in their own right, but are not preventing a compiling of the binaries from succeeding.

My point is this. if you or anyone else here would like to clean these up, which is rather simple really just time consuming, go ahead and do so and just post a diff of the changes to remedy the warnings and we'll happily incorporate them into the eqemu repository.

Otherwise, enjoy the game!

Quote:
If it's not on IRC, it ain't l33t!
Old 09-02-2007, 07:28 AM
sonicintuition
Hill Giant

Thanks guys. That helps clear that up. I do have a question though - I did notice the deprecated warnings and all that ..so I looked into it a bit on my own and saw that deprecation can be disabled by adding some line to the top of certain files that call for the deprecated functions - I don't remember the exact wording, but anyway if I went through and did that, would it affect the functions? I'm no C++ coder (but I am trying to learn) yet, and therefore I don't feel like I should be tinkering unless I know I'm not going to royally fuck something up heh...

Thanks again,
Sonic
Old 09-02-2007, 07:54 AM
froglok23
Hill Giant

HI sonicintuition,

We are aware of these warnings, for not, its best to ignore them. People are working on a fix for them, please see thread: http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/sho...d=1#post137876

However, this is more of a statement aid at the dev team and that is... warnings should not be ignored, just as wild said. As i stated in the above thread, these warnings are possible vectors to be explioted by a naughty users.

But all in all, steps are in place to correct them.

- froglok
Old 09-02-2007, 07:57 AM
froglok23
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Adams View Post
Warnings do not matter much. There are lots of 'you shouldn't compare this value with that value' warnings that are just that; warnings. Errors are the only show stoppers. Worst thing that could happen with a warning is the code is not as optimized as it could be, but for Emu, it's negligible.
Or as i discovered, points where a user can use a bufferover and inject shellcode.... remote code execution :(

But yeah, see my previous post, I just felt the need to demonstraight why warnings are there for a reason Nothing against you of course

- froglok
Old 09-02-2007, 02:01 PM
John Adams
Demi-God

Oh I definitely agree warnings should be fixed (and I like the annecdote "warnings are errors, errors are worse errors" hehe - I think I'll start using that at work. :/ )

All I was suggesting is that you can still compile and execute with them, just not as fully optimized as one would hope (including haXxoR hoLeZ). I get ya. Frooooaaaak!
Old 09-05-2007, 05:07 PM
sonicintuition
Hill Giant

Alright ..now I'm TOTALLY confused on this. Sometimes when I compile zone, I get these 32 deprecation warnings, and then sometimes when I compile it, I get no warnings at all... This is the same build too, I haven't switched source code. *confused*

Regards,
Sonic
Old 09-05-2007, 05:12 PM
John Adams
Demi-God

Are you performing a Clean then Compile each time? If you are only changing 1 file, that's all it's going to compile.
(usually)
Unless it's something that is used across many files - like a header.

Or, maybe it assumes you know about the earlier warnings and doesn't want to be insulting.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:07 PM
sonicintuition
Hill Giant

Heh ...doesn't want to be insulting ..you crack me up Anyway, no I wasn't cleaning first ...I suppose that's why.

Sonic
Old 09-05-2007, 08:49 PM
froglok23
Hill Giant

Theres 2 types of compiling.

1 is a "Rebuild" or a "Clean Compile" which will compile every source file and create its object file, then link them all together to make a .exe

Then there is a "Batch" Build, which, only compiles the file you have changed, then uses the new object file, it links it all the existing ones to give you your exe.

It just saves you recompiling the entire project every time you make a change.

Warnings / Errors / etc are only shown on compile.

-froglok