Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Development

Development::Development Forum for development topics and for those interested in EQEMu development. (Not a support forum)

Old 06-04-2008, 05:42 PM
BertPLGL
Fire Beetle

Default EverQuest Living Legacy

http://livinglegacy.station.sony.com/en/everquest.vm

I strongly recommend that you get your packet collectors up and running. This is a wonderful opportunity.

Isn't it?
Old 06-04-2008, 05:50 PM
Secrets
Demi-God

Seeing as we're sticking to box sets, and Titanium happened to be a version we had live packets of, I'd say any other version of the emulator is practically out of the question.

Which brings up a good point, why should we bother catching up to live? It's just more useless SQL fields that serve no purpose whatsoever other than getting these 'features' up and running. Plus, we'd need to generate map files for eqgs from expansions DoDH+ which we haven't been able to do anyway.

I can't name one feature that I would honestly like from current-day eq compared to titanium, either.

On the other hand, if someone was willing to embark that task of getting the opcodes matched up, the source reworked to work with live, etc, that would be not a bad thing at all. It's just it would have to be on the down-low and we'd have to go back to DO NOT PATCH warnings.

It's just a hassle, ya know?
Old 06-04-2008, 05:55 PM
trevius
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrets View Post
Plus, we'd need to generate map files for eqgs from expansions DoDH+ which we haven't been able to do anyway.
You must have missed this post:
http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25369

Awesome news to all Server Admins! Rejoice!
Old 06-04-2008, 06:38 PM
Bulle
Hill Giant

Err Secrets, you forget that Channeling always works on Live ! That's a big plus ! (OK, just kidding there)

The "Rest", "In Fight" state.
The task system and the quest journal.
Evolving items.
Power sources and such.
I nearly forgot, tons of new zones to toy with !

I have just started a new character to see what Live is these days and there are indeed improvements in game mechanics. I do not know/remember of what else has been introduced (bank guilds ?) but surely there is more.

All that may not be essential, but they are many little pluses that could be put to good use by world builders (not necessarily as Live does mind you). You cannot honestly say that Live has not improved since Titanium. May be you can say the world additions suck, but additional game mechanics in the game client are always good.

May be your goal is "merely" to replicate what was available as the time Titanium was released (or before), but then what will you do when you are there ? Play it for the rest of your life ? Think about Cavedude who is going to be without a goal in a few years ! As a comparison my main interest in EQEmu is having a powerful and interesting game engine in my hands to build whatever I want with it. I really like the EQ mechanics/world setting, that is why I am here and not on WoWEmu.

I can see how switching to a new client version would be a crazy dream engineering-wise. But if it were to happen we would have many more things at our disposal. Very hard and discouraging to do, I am with you on that, just a hassle I do not aggree.

PS: I am not targetting you specifically here, but talking to everyone thinking Live only added junk. There is junk, OK, but there is also useable stuff.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:10 PM
trevius
Developer

I think the main thing to consider here is that there are many features in Titanium that still don't work. So, updating to Live or a later expansion would probably mostly just add more features that don't work in the emu.

The best part about Titanium is that it is a full install that people can install and run the emu straight out of the box without having to worry about getting illegal patch files (which shouldn't be done anyway). As far as I know, it is the only expansion that ever went live before another patch had gone in before-hand. With this unique circumstance, the sniffers were able to catch many of the opcodes and such that are needed to run Titanium properly.

Trying to keep up with live is almost impossible and would be WAY more work than it is worth. The only other option would be if SOE ever releases another full pack similar to Titanium that they run on live prior to patching it for the first time.

Some features that would be great in Titanium, but don't work perfectly or at all still are the Bazaar, LDoN Points, guild banker, porting gem stones for guildhall, boat system, Group/Raid AAs, Raid system, many AAs, /melody, the tribute system, /friends list, and I am sure many others. I know some of these have some custom code changes that might help them somewhat, but as far as I know, none of these are completed or in the official source yet.

The only thing I would like to have from live would be the newest weapon models, NPC models, and zones. Most of the other features I could care less about personally. But, with the recent addition of the final 100 or so .map files for the last few Titanium expansions, that should be enough to keep people busy for a while and give some new options for custom zones as well.

Basically, we have enough work left with Titanium to last a few years most likely. It would be great to have access to some of the newer features, but I doubt it will happen until Titanium is much more completed. I do think it would be great if we could use the latest EQ Expansion Package, but I am not getting my hopes up lol. The devs have said many times lately that it most likely won't happen anytime soon if ever.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:56 AM
John Adams
Demi-God

Maybe the big picture is something y'all don't think about too often. It doesn't matter what "Titanium" can do. Eventually, EQ is going to die - I know, hard to imagine. When it does, everything from the titanium collects through current day (which is going on what, 4 years now?) will be missing.

The idea of collecting everything from DoDH+ now is brilliant, if it can be done. I have never used a collector for EQ outside of ShowEQ. I have been told it works, but never seen it work... without some threat of being murdered in my sleep by SOE thugs.

If you care about the project and can think into the future, collect.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:44 AM
trevius
Developer

Just a thought, but wouldn't a simple packet sniffer work just fine for getting what we need from live? Or is the traffic all encrypted somehow?
Old 06-05-2008, 02:26 PM
John Adams
Demi-God

You mean like tcpdump on *nix using a hub? heh. I had tried that long ago, but could not make heads or tails of what was generated. But that's likely my noobness when it comes to packet data. Could be worth a try.

The old tool that would be SUPREME if it still worked was the EQBuilder that read the packets and stuffed everything into temp tables for processing. But there's where your encryption thing comes in, I think. If we knew that, EQEmu could use the live client, right?
Old 06-05-2008, 05:23 PM
KLS
Administrator

There wouldn't be anything inherently wrong with supporting a new client assuming we had enough information to do so. We wouldn't support newer features of course but it would allow people to use newer style eqg zones if they wished (even though they'd be mapless till someone figured out the format).
Old 06-05-2008, 05:26 PM
John Adams
Demi-God

I would love to use the new zone files. I am one of the few that likes the fact they are trying to improve the game graphically. I just wish I knew what to do to get it started.
Old 06-15-2008, 12:45 AM
EvoZak
Sarnak

So the new Lavastorm isn't in eqg format? /runs off to look in eq dir... Nope it isn't... but the bazaar is, and I don't have any problems there... or do I?
Old 06-15-2008, 01:54 PM
bowmaster
Discordant

IF we use a later version of client

Does this Mean We might Support later expansions so they will be spells from 71-75 etc??
Old 06-15-2008, 02:10 PM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

main problem with spells that Titanium client is hard coded to support MAX of 10k spells (based on what one of our Devs said) - you could add any spells by hand- but you have very little place to put them.

if we move to Aniversary box - hopefuly it has inheritly higher max spell limit (like 20k i belive?).

personaly I am mostly interested in new zones and models (and of course higher spell limit) - the "features" are not my priority
Old 06-16-2008, 12:31 AM
quadroplex
Banned

Ok guys none of you is thinking about this, we dont have to MOVE to anything, the support for different versions is already IN the code, the emu automaticly identifies the stream based on the opcode conf files all someone needs to do is just add the needed opcodes nothing more
Old 06-25-2008, 12:14 AM
John Adams
Demi-God

Nice. Let us know when you have that done since it's so simple.

Quote:
quadroplex
Banned
Oh wait, you can't. nm.