Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:35 AM
John C
Sarnak

Default Setting Up to Compile

I have my server set up and working using the easy installer (Thanks!), but now am attempting to compile so I can make a few code changes. I found an old thread that gave some instructions and was able to download GIT and create my own local clone. I downloaded CMAKE and selected the source and build directories, but when I attempt to configure I received the error "Error in configuration process, project files may be invalid" with a single red line:

Name: CMAKE_CONFIGURATION_TYPES
Value: Debug;Release;MinSizeRel;RelWithDebInfo

The CMakeLists.txt file includes the following...

#Default build type is set to RelWithDebInfo for generators that honor that like makefiles
IF(NOT CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE)
SET(CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE RelWithDebInfo CACHE STRING "Choose the type of build." FORCE)
ENDIF(NOT CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE)

I was a coder way back when (I coded in C because C++ hadn't been invented yet) so I understand the basics of coding, but these tools are very different from the era when I was coding. I am confident I can stumble my way through the code edits if I can just learn to use the tools and compile. I suspect I have something misconfigured in my environment. Would appreciate any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong. Thanks!
Old 07-22-2018, 05:18 PM
Shin Noir
Legendary Member

The console should be more verbose than that. Instead of CMakeLists.txt, a more interesting output is tossed into a CMakeOutput.log, usually noted on the output of cmake.

Some knee jerk answers are:
* Be sure CMake is as new as possible.
* Be sure Visual Studio's compiler is properly installed. - When you installed Visual Studio 201#, did you install the Visual C++ compilers? It's not enabled by default. Go to Add or Remove programs and try Repairing/Modifying it to make sure Visual C++ is included.
* CMake may need to be reinstalled. There is speculation it may need to be the same directory as your project, however, this is highly likely not the case.
* I'm assuming this is in windows? Not that the above hugely changes minus the visual studio requirement.

There really should be more verbose errors in the console on bottom of the cmake gui than just the message box, and likely will give more detail.

~Shin Noir
DungeonEQ.com
Old 07-23-2018, 01:41 AM
John C
Sarnak

Thanks Shin Noir. That was very helpful. I reinstalled VS with a more complete set of options and things are starting to come together. One more stupid question though. I see many references to dependencies, but all the old Wiki docs on what they are and where to find them are apparently gone. I've started finding stuff that I think *Might* be right, but is there any simple place I can go to get exactly what is needed? Big thanks once again.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:01 PM
Uleat
Developer

https://github.com/EQEmu/eqemu.githu...ster/downloads - I think is still mostly current...

We do need to see logs to give the most appropriate suggestions, though

Compilin' Dirty
Old 07-23-2018, 10:18 PM
John C
Sarnak

Thanks Uleat. That's exactly what I needed. Had to go get a newer version of boost, but just having the list made it much easier to assemble the right stuff. Thanks again.

Compiled successfully. Thanks again.