Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:49 PM
EqEmuSoloist
Fire Beetle

Default The Vengeful Soloist - Live Database - No Boxing

Server: The Vengeful Soloist
TeamSpeak: vengefulsoloist.ts3.nfoservers.com

There are older threads regarding this server, but it's now hosted on a dedicated VM with new management (Furniture, the other developer, is still around. Just not as much as previously.)

The Vengeful Soloist server - under new management. I am helping Furniture (OSO) with his original server. We are a solo friendly - though not easy mode server with a classic-live emulation mindset. We're not trying to re-create a Project1999, but we're EverQuest with a classic as possible database (work in progress) that has solo aspects that promote community, grouping and difficulty.

Here you're five times more powerful based on a lot of changes to the mechanics of the core game without editing individual classes. This means that all items that have statistics are x5 more powerful. For example an earring with 5AC and 10HP will show those respective values, but if you type #mystats, you'll find that you're actually gaining 25AC and 50HP from that one earring.

Server Features:

We try to replicate the classic environment without some time sink factors. Here's some examples:

- Sitting out of combat regeneration heals you and your mana to 100%. Don't take this as easy mode, you'll still die plenty. This is to get rid of down time.
- Gear stays on corpses after death, we tried to get the community to let us change that but there's just no way.
- No boxing - everyone will be a unique person.
- Leveling is slightly higher than Project 1999 (Classic) and slightly below EQ Live.
- Spells are more powerful based on your class specific statistics.
- Maps are enabled with non-p99 installs.
- Underfoot client provides client-side benefits.
- We operate on FV rules for no-drop items.
- Melody and Autofire are operational.

Where we're heading:

-Vanilla EverQuest
-Kunark
-Velious
-Luclin (With Luclin AAs)
-PoP (With Luclin AAs)
-Custom Expansion (With Luclin AAs)
-Custom Expansion (With Luclin AAs)

The Kunark expansion is pretty well done with fixes, pathing and zone creation. Velious needs a little bit of work here and there and PoP is to be determined. We're working to make each expansion as complete as possible, while maintaining the monster database and leaving it unaltered from our research and findings. I want the life of this server to be a long one, but I don't want to sacrifice time between expansions for the sake of making the server last a longer amount of time if it means that players grow bored in the process.

What I mean is that setting a time lock to the release of each expansion is just a way to expand the lifetime of the server artificially, and because people can power through content very quickly (because their stats and gear as they level up enable them to do much of the content with just a few people; raid wise and other content-wise) I think that a faster (though not weekly - I stress this because i have seen what happens when content is released weekly) release of content is needed to keep things fresh. So a timelocked expansion release formula is thrown out of the window.

I want to release the expansions as the players start to get to a good level and have a chance to get to most of that particular expansions content, and I'm talking about the regulars, we've about 15-20 regulars right now at various levels (numbers will rise) and I am keeping a close eye on all of their progressions so that i can find the right time to release the next expansion. (In this case as I am writing this it's Kunark - which should be nearly 100% completed).

So - it leaves me with this following formula. I will release the expansions as server population grows coupled with how fast and how many people are reaching that particular era of expansions ending. It's a fine line to walk and to determine the best times, but I've learned a lot about the release of content and trust my own judgement.

As you can see in our future lies custom content. This custom content will not be cookie cutter content wherein you find monster A and kill him to advance to monster B, nor will it be the (sometimes) typical random loot drops of varying degrees of uberness.

Our custom content will be lore and quest driven with the use of zones that are seen after the Planes of Power expansion. There will not be any 'mega' item that advances with you as you re-level, grind or any timesinkish gameplay.

I despise time sinks. I love lore and questing. The custom content this server will see is going to be fully fleshed out. That being said, getting to the custom content will require some custom quests and content to be created in all prior expansions because I want there to be a key to open it up, something people work to grab that will be rare and difficult to obtain. This will likely be implemented near the mid-point of the Planes of Power progression.

It could be seen that creating a less than easy key quest with combines and lore quests is a timesink tactic, but I'm hoping to create it in such a way as to be exciting and (somewhat) rewarding - that being said sometimes a 'timesink' is an unavoidable byproduct of wanting something to be difficult to obtain.

If you're a fan of Furniture and enjoy his technical skill and how he had his server set up then be happy - we're working closely together to bring his desires to the server.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:11 PM
djlegit83
Fire Beetle

This server is one of the most fun I have played on. It is a solo/small group server, but its actually fairly difficult, its not one of those servers that gives you everything. You actually have to get your own gear.

I have been playing there for a few weeks now and the only downside so far is there is not a huge population. However the community that exists is top-notch, helpful and fun to talk to.

I highly recommend checking it out!
Old 04-01-2014, 04:27 PM
Furniture
Hill Giant

Hey I just want to add that after taking a long break, I've returned to the server and am preparing to do work and revive the server after it seems so many have left during my absense. There is one thing major that is missing from this overview:

-Custom bonuses to spell damage/heals/procs, max_dmg(melees), backstab, rune, frenzy, archery, etc. that scale with level and your main stat (bonuses take effect mid level range).

For example, a warrior will hit for a higher max damage based on his STR. A wizard will nuke for more damage then normal depending on its INT. This makes getting any new piece of gear rewarding and gives a great feeling of growth whenever you upgrade your stats even just a little.

Classic everquest is my favorite style of everquest, so we have classic spells and many other classic mechanics.

To celebrate the return of the server I've implemented a starter package for all new characters. New players will automatically start at lvl 25 with all spells scribed and is given platinum to spend at the new EC tunnel marketplace for some gear. If you like solo servers that feature no boxing, this is a great time to get a step ahead and jump into the action. Give us a try!

go to www.thevengefulsoloist.com for more information
Old 04-02-2014, 08:59 AM
SquirtGunn
Fire Beetle

I will vouch for this server. I've been playing on it for a little while now and love that with my erratic schedule I can login for short periods of time and make much progress. There is a ton you can accomplish solo due to the near no downtime. You can also handle most of the end game content with a single well geared group.

As Furniture said, population is low right now, so please grab a group of friends and give the server a try. Free SoW and level appropriate buffs at all Druid rings as well!