Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:26 PM
gaeorn
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crion View Post
Day 2 of yet another epic peq phailure.

/scratches

I need mah crack!

&& in case you havn't noticed, each time the server goes down we are losing more players to other servers, like the EZ server(!!!?) and worse yet, p1999 .. Sadly I can even name a few people that are gone for good..

I understand to you this may be an important time to ask for donates, but you said yourself the current set up is already more than enough for now.
Why so much downtime and so frequent? There are other servers out there with far less equipment and bandwidth and yet they have longer up times, some only reset once a week, if that, and with roughly the same player load.

I'm not knocking the need for new server upgrades by any means, I'm just wondering how or why PEQ seems to have poor reliability with its current set up, or rather if the problem is the ISP/Host, why continue to subscribe to their services if they are so incompetent.
The hosting is being provided for free by the hosting company that FNW used to work for. He no longer works there and his new job requires him to travel frequently so cavedude is not always able to contact him immediately when there is a need.

In this case, cavedude did contact FNW and FNW put in a reboot request with the hosting company. But since they are providing the service for free, clearly this is not going to be a priority for them.

The current machine is adequate for our needs. However, it does not have much available headroom so if there is a bug in the server code that causes heavier load than normal, we will experience problems. Even more than that, with the current set up, we do not have remote management capabilities so we are completely at the mercy of FNW and the hosting company when we do have problems that cause the server to be unreachable.

To resolve all of the above problems, we would like to purchase two new systems that will exceed our needs by a wide enough margin we should not see performance problems from a player perspective even if there are issues with the server code. These systems will include full remote management capabilities allowing us to deal with nearly all problems remotely. And the fact that there will be two will allow us to have a failover in the event of one system failing completely. This should all add up to no downtime or miniscule downtime.

Some people ask about upgrading the existing system to accommodate these features. The problem with that is how long do you think it would take them to upgrade our system when it takes them days to simply reboot it? And that is assuming they would even be willing to do the upgrade for us, which they may very well not be willing to do.

Next we get asked about moving the hosting to a different location. Again it comes down to how long it would take the hosting guys to pack up and ship the system, which isn't very likely to happen in a timely manner either. And again, that assumes they are even willing to do so. They might require it to be picked up, which would require FNW to do so, which he may not have the time for.

So the solution is new servers with remote management at a hosting location that multiple people can contact. The remote management will be available to KLS, cavedude and myself. The hosting location could be called directly by the same 3 people. If physical access is required, it is a 25 minute drive for me. But it is not very likely physical access will be needed with the remote management capabilities.

But all of this costs money. We are doing what we can with the resources we have. We will improve things as we have the resources to do so. Until then, be patient and donate if you are so inclined.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:14 PM
r8n8
Fire Beetle

You're too nice. I was gonna go out into the woods and make a club to beat donations out of people.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:17 PM
Fatboy5706
Sarnak

how much money do we have for new servers?

Old 08-27-2010, 02:20 PM
DeathSymbolic
Fire Beetle

Whether it is free or not it sort of defeats the purpose of even having a server in the first place if it is going to go down for 5 days at a time very often.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:21 PM
DeathSymbolic
Fire Beetle

And you can count me as a player that PEQ just lost to p1999
Old 08-27-2010, 02:22 PM
KLS
Administrator

I'd say very often is a bit of an exaggeration.

Hopefully I can get in touch with fnw soon. Cavedude is out till tuesday and fnw still is out on a trip of some sort.

Also I think Rogean was interested in offering something temporary till we could get where we wanted to go but Cavedude has been too busy to really talk to him about it.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:29 PM
Fatboy5706
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathSymbolic View Post
And you can count me as a player that PEQ just lost to p1999
lol its ok, have fun getting trained and being on a lame server.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLS View Post
I'd say very often is a bit of an exaggeration.

Hopefully I can get in touch with fnw soon. Cavedude is out till tuesday and fnw still is out on a trip of some sort.

Also I think Rogean was interested in offering something temporary till we could get where we wanted to go but Cavedude has been too busy to really talk to him about it.
and i always wonder why someone like gaeorn or even you KLS cant send in for a manual reboot. If everyone is out playing in the world and cant fix the faucet, then its going to keep dripping. But if you designate a plumber, it might get fixed.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:32 PM
KLS
Administrator

Please don't lower yourself to his level.

If someone else wants to go play on another server that's their choice, but with an attitude like that I can't say I'll really miss him. Also it's not like p1999 hasn't had week long down times in the past either =p
Old 08-27-2010, 02:36 PM
Fatboy5706
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLS View Post
Please don't lower yourself to his level.

If someone else wants to go play on another server that's their choice, but with an attitude like that I can't say I'll really miss him. Also it's not like p1999 hasn't had week long down times in the past either =p
lol he'll come crawling back.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:20 PM
sorvani
Dragon

will be interesting to see what happens when they release Kunark.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:47 PM
Quellren
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mghargh View Post
I'm trying the EZ server & it lives up to its name, REAL easy. ..... Might be good to run around learning where most things are.
This is what I do.
I rolled a mage and made it to 60 in one afternoon. 75 the next day. with the pet DW'ing the free-from-vendor Fiery Defender and Ragebringer, I can easily solo most of the PEQ content. With insta ports to any zone, and no death penalty (inc. no CR) I scout out the dungeons and mobs that I wanna killl on PEQ to get a feel for them.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:34 PM
r8n8
Fire Beetle

My biggest concern about PEQ is that since this is the second time the server has gone down in the last month there may be some code currently on the server that is giving it problems. Which is going to cause this up/down cycle of calling FNW and waiting days between playing... until the code is fixed.

Just thinking out loud here...
Old 08-27-2010, 04:56 PM
MNWatchdog
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorvani View Post
will be interesting to see what happens when they release Kunark.
I know I'm not wasting my time until Kunark is out. How people can waddle around in only original EQ is beyond me...BORING!
Old 08-27-2010, 05:07 PM
sorvani
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNWatchdog View Post
I know I'm not wasting my time until Kunark is out. How people can waddle around in only original EQ is beyond me...BORING!
Yeah, I'm a noob, I didn't start EQ Live until Luclin came out. I got burned on UO when it was released by some asshats corpse camping, and said F-it to online pay to play. But a friend got me to give EQ a try when Luclin came out and we all know how that crack habit went.

I wandered in to P1999 for a bit to see how old world worked. No thanks, I prefer to PLAY during my online time. Not sit and med for more than half the time. I don't have the RL time to spend doing that like I did in 2001. If they were going to take the server past Velious, I might go back during the Velious and level up to be ready for Luclin, but stopping at Velious is a no thanks for me also.

Final straw, no boxing. I understand if they don't want unlimited connections allowing one person to have an army. But after the first 6 months on live, I bought a second copy of the game and ever since ran 2 boxes. That was how I enjoyed the game. I do not enjoy sitting bored with one toon for the majority of each hour.

Everyone likes different things. just my take on it.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:18 PM
Mghargh
Fire Beetle

For those out there griping about the server & hesitating about donating.

I've not had a full-time job in nearly 2 years after working for the same company for 14 years after they got bought out & new owners decided to move plant across country. Doing part time work where I can get it & living off my savings. I had only been playing here for about a month & enjoyed myself so much I decided to donate. I dug into what i had set aside for a little fun & sent CD $200.00, I'm not saying for everybody to do that{it would help though}, I'm just saying send a little IF you are enjoying yourself. If you're NOT enjoying yourself then why are you here? If there are 300 players here & they could average $10 each it would be DONE.

Anybody unhappy with my statement, type it out double-spaced in large type, fold it until it is all sharp corners, & I think you know the rest.