Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Misc > Misc::Off Topic

Misc::Off Topic Want to talk about something that has nothing to do with EverQuest or the emulator? Post here.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:51 PM
Bellos
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevius View Post
That is sad to hear, but in reality, EQ1 emu and EQ2 emu have little in common other than sharing the name Everquest. While EQ1 emu may be further along and very playable, it is still not complete and can always use more work. Our dev team is also fairly small, but we are pretty dedicated and have been able to grow the project on the work that was done prior to our current team. Even if some of our devs did leave EQ1 emu, it isn't likely they would go on to work on the EQ2 emu project. Just because it might sound like the natural path of progression, that doesn't mean it is what would happen. Personally, there are other MMOs I would rather see emulated, if I was ever planning to move to another project.

Sorry if this comes off a bit harsh. But, you are coming here basically saying you think our devs should leave and go help somewhere else instead. You might as well be posting on the Sony forums asking for their devs to come help :P Not comparing us to Sony, but just trying to show how something like your post may not be taken so well.

Nothing against EQ2Emu, but this thread makes it sound like we owe them something:
http://www.eq2emulator.net/phpBB3/vi...ded3819d54853c

No i understand ur POV completely which is why i said it will likely never happen. I just meant it was complete in my opinion.

Sony should stop being greedy corporate pieces of shat and release a server for people to run custom ones and just charge a slightly less off a fee like 5 dollars per player royalty or somthing on both eq 1 and 2. Greed sucks in america.

No one involved in that project (except maybe me) feels entitled to the help of EQ 1 emu team, they would like it a lot im sure but arent demanding, just asking. I just hate seeing it fall apart because it has SO MUCH potential, newer graphics and engine ect... the only other MMO is like to see emulated is LOTR online and that will never happen lol. I really hope some miracle happens and like ive always said if i win a big chunk of change in the lottery (yeah i know its not gonna happen) id hire like 10 devs to work on eq 1 and eq 2 each so wish me luck at hittin that powerball
Old 05-12-2010, 09:00 AM
RichardoX
Hill Giant

It'll never happen I am affraid.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:24 PM
Taurinus
Hill Giant

From what I've seen, it is simply a lack of interest that is killing the project. Even if you did gather some devs to sink time into it, you still can't drag players into a realm that was not that all that great. You have to remember that EQ2, in general, was considered a letdown.

Regardless of where your opinion and compassion lay, you have to see that this is merely natural selection at work.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:19 AM
mixxit
Hill Giant

I have a pvp-rp max level 20 server running if anyone is interested
Old 05-13-2010, 09:50 AM
WkimWes
Sarnak

I actually loved EQ2, definitely wasn't the same as EQ1. It would be sad to see it get stopped. Wish I could help out, but I'm not a dev. :(
Old 05-16-2010, 11:09 PM
Rivkah94
Fire Beetle

EQ2Emu is a great project, people just need to go work on it. EQ1 seems perfectly fine to me...The EQ1Emu Devs and Staff should help out at EQ2Emu. Come on stop being selfish you lazy bastards. EQ2Emu is even giving up untill it finds some more people because nobody wants to help out. Come on...its like trying to make a new born get a job. YOU HAVE TO help them get on their feet and walk, nurture them, and pick em up when they get down. Ha, its not like EQ1Emu just popped up on a couple ppl computers one day working perfectly and they made a site about it...COME ON PPL!! EQ1 is dieing...their is no doubt about that, its 11 yrs old for crying out loud, Help out teh next big thing EQ2!
Old 05-16-2010, 11:36 PM
trevius
Developer

That whole post is ridiculous. One can only hope you were being sarcastic lol.

Our 2 projects have nothing to do with each other, really. It might as well be WoW emu or DAoC emu or even Aion emu asking for our devs lol. We have put years of work into this project, which proves we enjoy it quite a bit. Personally I never got into EQ2 even though I still have an unlimited free account for it and had anticipated it's release for long before it came out. The game just lacked in many ways IMO.

I don't know why you guys keep posting saying our project is finished, or about EQ1 failing. Our project has little to do with EQLive's current state. And if our project was complete already, you wouldn't see SVN updates nearly daily adding more features, fixing bugs, adding new client compatiblity, etc etc.

Unlike EQ1Live and EQ2Live, our 2 emu projects are not both paid for by SOE. So, while it may make sense to try to get EQ1Live devs to work on EQ2Live, it is a completely useless argument for the emulator world of EQ. We have nothing tying us together and never will. Expecting someone to stop working on what they have worked years to build and start working on something else full time just because it needs help, doesn't make much sense.

If you want to complain to devs about lack of work on EQ2Emu, you are complaining to the wrong project's devs :P Keep in mind that these projects are 100% volunteer work. So, calling people selfish for not doing what you think they should be doing actually makes you the selfish one.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:15 AM
KLS
Administrator

I see no reason to close the thread because of one fool.

The fact is other than the underlying sony network protocol the two games are as different as can be other than setting and name. You might as well order wowemu developers to develop it.

If anyone feels like they'd like to help them though I'd suggest it; though I feel the giving up just because interest hasn't caught on yet is a bit silly =p
Old 05-17-2010, 10:26 AM
Herrin_jerry
Fire Beetle

I loved EQ2. I think the only reason I never got 100% into it was because I had so much time already invested in EQ1 and DAoC, so I didn't want to split it a 3rd way (even though I re-upped my subscription several times.) I don't think I ever made it past level 30 because I kept getting distracted by the storyline, tradeskilling, just plain adventuring through the world with it's awesome graphics! EQ2 was most certainly my cup of tea, the stars just didn't align to kick me from my other addictions (eq1, daoc, and the all important BEER!)

I've checked in on the EQ2 Emu website every few months and always saw that they were doing what EQ1 Emu was doing when they started, they kept updating to the live client, never locking in a permenant client for use. I shudder remembering those days, the couple weeks it would take to get the code updated, then the two weeks of playtime you actually got before the NEXT patch. I breezed through the EQ2Emu site the other day and saw they were locking in on a certain client soon or something, so if this is true I definitely see a good future for the project
Old 05-17-2010, 12:52 PM
Shin Noir
Legendary Member

I laughed at this thread.

~Shin Noir
DungeonEQ.com
Old 12-06-2010, 09:03 PM
tommy_six_pack
Fire Beetle

Default Hate to necro a thread

EmulateS here. I was in hopes that I could trouble a few of you about data specifically about packets. No further details given here in the thread, just looking for a dev to speak with a dev (from this topics project), about concepts. Looking to bounce an idea or two.