Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 11-18-2016, 11:25 PM
The_Beast
Discordant

Default Population

So much to choose from if you are looking for a group. Friday night player base.

Old 11-19-2016, 12:43 AM
Mortykins
Hill Giant

It's nice to see lots of diversity and mini community's that players can take part in that's for sure.

Morty
www.raidaddicts.org
Old 03-30-2017, 06:25 PM
tdanger84
Fire Beetle

wish Prymeeq hadn't ended up in the dirt =/ so hard to find server that will let me solo through cooler high end zones
Old 03-30-2017, 09:27 PM
The_Beast
Discordant

If you're around about June 1st'ish been working on something for 8 months now that you might like.Challenging but built for solo bosses with finely tuned bots
Old 03-31-2017, 10:39 AM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Beast View Post
If you're around about June 1st'ish been working on something for 8 months now that you might like.Challenging but built for solo bosses with finely tuned bots
Lost me at bots.

Old 03-31-2017, 03:17 PM
Albator
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Beast View Post
I think people want single player everquest as in just them no bots.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:49 PM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

I really want a server where you need to interact with others.

Not a solo wasteland, I have Mass Effect, Witcher, and Horizon for that.

Old 03-31-2017, 04:28 PM
tdanger84
Fire Beetle

definitely disagree. I like having a community of players to talk to, get advice, and assist when needed, but I prefer to adventure alone. I actually like bots and if I can play through with a bot group I'm happy. The grouping servers just end up being boxing servers anyway. why hassle with running multiple accounts. i dont know anyone in the real world that plays this ancient game that I still have passion for. i'd wager a large amount of these emu players are like me and have lives and kids and just want to pop on and adventure on our time when we have it

I will say i do like interaction though in the form of player economy. im the guy thats always dropping gear to every noob i see and trying to help people learn the server
Old 03-31-2017, 04:49 PM
Jahosphat
Sarnak

WE <3 bots.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:07 PM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahosphat View Post
WE <3 bots.
Brexit doesn't <3 bots.

Old 04-01-2017, 03:19 AM
Mistmaker
Sarnak

What's important to point out is that EQemu offers many variety of servers that fit those that have a family (like me) and those that wish to just solo. If you want extreme social and no bots then I suggest playing P99.

Read the server descriptions and give them all a try until you find one that fits your style of play. Don't be fooled my populations! I have been on servers where half the server that's showing online are all AFK and it makes me wonder if most of those accounts are the owners trying to show mass numbers to attract players. I also notice that some allow boxing and I have raided with one person playing 13 accounts so just him and I would show 14 players online.

Our server has always been low population and I like it that way. It makes it easier to interact directly with the players as they come online. It also lets me tune the servers raid areas and bosses for 2-5 players WITH BOTS! You will not be able to solo those areas and you will need to interact with others and be social if you wish to progress.

Find what fits your style and don't be fooled by a zone in with tons of quest dialog or high population levels. Find what YOU like and go out of your comfort zone and talk to others. It's only a game.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:32 AM
sunbeam
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maze_EQ View Post
I really want a server where you need to interact with others.

Not a solo wasteland, I have Mass Effect, Witcher, and Horizon for that.
This is a very poor game for single player, no matter what lipstick you put on the pig.

No single player game ever has ever had something implemented like camping an item. Or camping for experience.

I really don't think that was intended back in 1999, it's just that the game and playerbase evolved into that system. Somehow. And every other game, the successful ones that is, avoid it.

The closest you come to EQ's camping is something like Diablo's random loot. And that is really not the same thing at all.

Try to imagine Baldur's Gate implemented EQ playstyle.

I really don't get what a lot of the servers that come and go are trying to do. Here's how I see it in a nutshell:

1) This is a social game to the core. No one would ever do something so silly as to endlessly camp ... whatever, in the end it's all the same - without interacting with others or having the fruits of your solo camping pay off in some manner when you actually do interact with other people. Whether that is being a star at being in an experience group, or really helping your guild because you have an instaclick Circlet of Shadows and can do some funky things.

Then there is the fact that if you play the game anything like it was on live, you need an army for raid mobs. And don't deceive yourself, no one is going to play for any extended amount of time just killing R'ygorr for armor drops.

They want the loot you get from Temple of Veeshan - whether the server pop runs at 3 or whatever number it would take for enough people to decide to got to ToV at the same time in sufficient number to do the mobs.

And that brings us to trade skills. They suck. They are stupid. We all know that. If you say otherwise, you are being a Devil's Advocate to the point of perversity.

But you need them for some quests. And doing something like the Earring of the Solstice, without a bazaar and lots of other tradeskillers out there for various things means you have to do ALL the trade skills yourself.

Some of them aren't too bad in the beginning. But then you have to farm items forever to level up tailoring. You need foraged items so you can make this so you can level up that other tradeskill you need to level up the one you are trying to level...

All without some noobie farming HQ Bear Pelts or Misty Acorns and putting them in the bazaar for your convenience.

2) Now some servers get around things by making it more soloable. You've seen several different approaches, but the most common are boxing and bots.

I submit to you that the players who really get into their bot armies, using MQ, writing macros, and enjoying it all - is not a big percentage of even the EMU population.

And don't delude yourself. Boxing sucks ass without MQ. Even the ones that like boxing really don't enjoy alt-tabbing or having to fork out a ton of money for separate monitors/computers to box in their fortress of solitude.

Now obviously there are some really, really good reasons to ban MQ from a server. I understand totally.

But I also imagine the number of people who really want to deal with three boxing (like the two Al'Kabor servers) without MQ is fairly small.

Which is interesting. You can think of all sorts of reasons why it is sort of working there. Or maybe there are a lot of people going commando (single) or just two-boxing. Or maybe there really are only 180/3 or so individuals playing that during peak.

No idea, but I am not dealing with that old client to log on and look around.

3) Now this is the point where the catch-22 comes in. If you want EQ to be like it was you need the people. But the people won't come, unless the people are already there.

P1999 made the breakthrough. The Al'Kabors, one of them at least, might.

The other attempts start up, things go for a while, then they become perennial zero-people-logged-in servers.

There are some other attempts out there, that basically turn EQ into a totally different game using the client and graphical assets as the building base.

But they are really different games.

I'd even say Stormhaven is one such. Things like PEQ, THF, EZServer are bot army servers.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:10 AM
mjbcb0717
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post

I'd even say Stormhaven is one such. Things like PEQ, THF, EZServer are bot army servers.
These are outrageous box servers were you need to box 24 just to do shit...screw that noise I can't stand to box more then 3 bots are ok sometimes but I prefer to group amd do stuff with actual players. Idk why so many people are bringing out out legit p99 wannabe servers they fail 99% of the time everyone only wants duo or small grp stuff now days and all the good servers like this are gone. Sad day :(
Old 04-01-2017, 11:34 AM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

Good write up Sunbeam!

And I agree with most of it, specially with "people won't come, unless the people are already there", which is a big problem for creating group oriented server.

I think I want to note however - non camping progression works for Baldurs Gates, because BG is a full scale RPG with a big evolving story-line. Moderns MMOS like WoW don't really have that. Yes there usually some central story line which mostly caters to high end raiders, but that's it - most of WoW consists of small time quest chains that go like this : "Investigate Village X - Kill 5 mobs - Investigate Y - kill 10 mobs - Kill local boss - Reward". I can produce those quests chain 20 an hour.
When playing WoW I found myself desperately running around doing these, and getting XP too fast to actually enjoy exploring what is obviously a beautiful scenery. I actually WANT to stay in zone for a WHILE - I want to camp/roam around that beautiful waterfall to spawn that rare named Z and kill it for some sweet random loot. But NO - the quest chain keeps pushing me forward to next location when I barely taking a look at the current one, and a handful of quest steps down the road I am ALREADY leaving the zone for the next.

What I ideally want from EMU server is some sort of middle ground between Hard Core EQ and modern MMO.
EQ was too hardcore and too slow - WoW too casual and too fast.
Crafting in EQ was painful and mostly meaningless with only goal to skill up to do a quest combine.
Crafting in WoW is boringly easy and just based on mats grinds.
EQ2 had perfect crafting system (which they dumbified few years later) that was both REASONABLY challenging AND REWARDING.

What I want from EMu is a server where SOlO exists for ALL classes, but groups/raids also exists, and no bots/boxes are allowed.

This would allow server to be acceptable to casual solo players, and when their number builds up - they could potentially form up pick groups or even guilds to take on harder tasks. It is OK not to make ALL content solo-able - let there be hard encounters that REQUIRE a full group (or hek even 2 for super boss fights) - yes you can't do this solo, so persuade others to join in!
Old 04-01-2017, 11:52 AM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
There are some other attempts out there, that basically turn EQ into a totally different game using the client and graphical assets as the building base.

But they are really different games.

I have been working on a server idea that plans to completely redo the classes and most of the world while still keeping it in "EQ spirit" - hopefully one day I will show you my work