Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Old Eq

Old Eq Sakrateri's Classic EQ Project

Old 02-07-2008, 06:13 AM
Fridgecritter
Hill Giant

Default Custom Installer/Uninstaller?

Ok, I was thinking about the wasted space that a lot of the files take up... if you are going to play only up to Kunark on this, why not delete the files from the Titanium edition that will not be used?

For instance, if you are not going to use the 3D map files from PoP, LoY, etc, those are big files. You can delete them, right? If so, then you could systematically go through the EQ directory and decide with map files you need, and keep only those. This could save gigs of memory.

Ok, who cares about 3 gigs worth of map files when you have a 300 gig or more hard drive like most people have nowadays? My issue is, newcomers to the emulation scene have to download the Titatinum edition files, which are 3.35 gigs worth of files. On a DSL connection it takes about 12 hours or so, assuming you can hold a good DL speed the whole time.

If you can delete the files not being used, then re-compress the directory and make an installer, this could minimize the installer down to over half the original size.

If this sounds like a good idea, maybe we could start a working centralized list on a post here that could be edited by one person, with all of the files that can be deleted from the directory.

Let me know what you think.