Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 02-14-2017, 04:50 PM
Jobe123
Fire Beetle

Thumbs up Caves and Kobolds a laid back fun server

So I am in no way affiliated with this server, however I have been playing here for a few days and have found it to be everything I've wanted in a server and more. So let me share my thoughts on this server and let you all know how much fun it is!

What's the server about

Caves and Kobolds is a very laid back server that focuses on leveling and having fun at every step of the way. The goal seems to be focused around having small improvements to your character at every possible opportunity instead of having a long drawn out camp or long respawn, theirs a chance for a gear upgrade on every single kill. The way they do this is it seems there is custom armor (looks like modified defiant gear) that scales every 10 levels and drops fairly often. This means that every single mob you fight can give you that new weapon or armor slot you've been needing without having to farm for hours and you can play regularly.

The great thing about this is it seems like there is a custom script which modifies and adds certain stats to every piece of gear to make it better, but all in different ways.

As far as I've seen generic armor received a bonus to Hp's, AC, generic stats as well as heroic stats. This gear also seems to have added great benefits to casters with things like improved damage, mana preservation and a litany of other caster buffs pre-baked into almost all of the custom gear so casters receive just as many benefits as melee's when it comes to getting gear upgrades and they dont seem to be lacking at all.

This server DOES however take a new twist on gearing, and normally with defiant like gear dropping it makes almost all normal drops like FBSS or SMR or CoF obsolete, however it seems that items with stats received even larger bonuses than normal items, so while you can find ringmail armor from Mistmoore with an additional 40 hp's +3 to all stats and mana pres 3 on it, if you farm something like the hooded black cloak from there you will see it received an additional 90 hp, 50 mana, +10 all stats and an additional +9AC.

This means that while you can play and never farm a single item the entire time you're here, it also means that the camp for rare items is greatly increased in payoff where you'll be getting MUCH better gear if you put in the time, but it isn't the only way to progress your charcter.

From what I can see, this server also allows 2 or possibly 3 boxxing so a lot of the content will be doable by one or two people boxxing, it also doesn't let one person make a 12 person group and just steamroll content without ever engaging in other people and making a community.

NPC's and Tuning

I don't know exactly what happened to the NPC's here, but from playing here it seems that most NPC's are about 30% weaker than their live counterparts. This means that while your soloing or duoing yo'ull be killing faster and oftentimes involved more, rather than having fights that last tens of minutes while your just pressing a few buttons waiting for enemies to die.

I've also noticed that NPC's that are certain classes act like they're that class, no more wizard NPC's casting healing, no more warrior mobs using any spells for that matter. It seems that wizard enemies are weaker but nuke a lot more, warrior mobs have higher HP and act more like warriors and the list goes on. The enemies seem like they are the actual class they are supposed to be which makes for a much more challenging and entertaining experience.

Misc benefits

Some other things I've noticed are zoning times are suepr fast here, I don't know the hardware but my loading time on an old outdated laptop are only 10-15 seconds and I'm running very bad hardware, so I'm assuming the server has a good connection and a decent amount of RAM and chunky processor since it never seems to chug at all.

Also out of combat regen is set to what appears to be 6-9% per tick, so no more than a minute until you are full regen'd after a fight, means less downtime and more fun.

In all honesty this server seems like everquest with all the hassle removed, and with the difficulty set to slightly easier than normal. It's probably not going to attract the hardest core people that want to run through a server and dominate, but it should bring in a ton of people who want a laid back small group server where they are having fun whether they have 9 hours to raid or 30 minutes to complete a quest or finish off a level. I think this server hits all the right notes, and since it is so brand spanking new it should be a great server if you want to try a laid back experience and get in on the ground floor.

This server reminds me a LOT of the older iterations of Nagafens Lair, Icelance 2.0 and various other small group / solo servers, but with a lot of the smaller nuisances removed and a lot of the high end farming / camping toned waaaay down to make it more casual friendly.

I really hope people try this server out and post if they enjoy it, I would love for a community to form here and get to enjoy this hidden gem of a server.

TL;DR Breakdown

3 Box max
Mobs tuned 30% down
Custom script for increased gear stats and custom tiered gear
Out of combat regen boost
Spellscribe (dunno if up to a certain level or not)
Minor custom items like server charm thats up-gradable.
Solo / Small group server
Old 02-14-2017, 05:11 PM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

Will be playing tonight!

Old 02-14-2017, 05:35 PM
mjbcb0717
Hill Giant

Iv seen it around for While but only see 1 or 2 people I'll check it our I like servers like this sounds pretty fun.

What era is it up to?
Old 02-14-2017, 08:05 PM
Jobe123
Fire Beetle

I'm not sure if its a progression server, but I know PoK is open and so is Nexus, when i get back tonight ill see what expansions are open.

Also just posted this and it seems the server went down temporarily hah, first time i've seen it go down is of course when i make my first post about it
Old 02-14-2017, 09:49 PM
vkrr
Sarnak

Hey! This is my server.

Glad to see it getting some love.

It's not been officially opened to the public yet, but I've just been chilling here, working on stuff! -- That doesn't mean you shouldn't come and hang out, though.

Development is an ongoing process here, I'm glad at least a few people are enjoying it.

Jobe123 did a fairly good writeup. Come check us out - it's a nice, happy, chill place to be cool and chill

The general idea is to build a server that I would want to play on, which is what I did!

AA's are easier to get, mobs have been scaled, crafting is easier, the world feels big again - and everyone feels useful!

There's no translocator, #zone, or buff bot, but bots are enabled (max 2 out at once) so you can teleport, the hub zone in the nexus which is right next to POK if you are druid or wizard adverse.

no-drop is removed, like lore (for most things), and you can increase the level cap up to 75 through some AA grinding.

I should write more, but the server greeter in the nexus can explain it better than I can. (RoF2 clients are recommended, titanium probably wont work)
Old 02-15-2017, 01:28 AM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

Nice server concept! Keep up the good work!
Old 02-15-2017, 03:22 PM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

Remove bots and it's perfect

Old 02-15-2017, 03:31 PM
Jobe123
Fire Beetle

I semi agree with Maze here, however I feel like at the current time the bots are almost a necessity until the server gets more populated.

In my honest opinion my perfect server is either solo with 1 bot, or 2 box max with no bots. I would love to see this server get to a point where it has a stable 20-30 population then there would be no need for bots at all and grouping would be way better.

But yes, i believe a bot limit of 1 is totally sufficient to work here and still have fun, even with the least solo friendly classes like rogue or ranger you can still use a bot to duo with and would promote more grouping when the server population gets a little more robust

Just my opinion, please take it with whatever grains of salt ya wish
Old 02-15-2017, 05:20 PM
Burningsoul
Discordant

<3 bots, hate boxing. Fingers crossed it stays as is. Getting harder to find quasi-random loot + bots servers nowadays.

Server-wise I had fun last night. You can definitely tell that this isn't a quickly thrown-together stock peq, there's been thought and care put into stat adjustments and balancing.

One thing to note - the random items added to enemies are equipped, so it's not hard to pick out your loot pinatas through various means. Might want to consider not flagging those loots as equipped, but it's a minor detail. Otherwise party on, it's a ton of fun already!
Old 02-15-2017, 05:28 PM
mjbcb0717
Hill Giant

I have a love/hate for bots lol like I only like em if I can go to 70+ or els cleric bot is useless will only cast CH on you at 65 can cause you to die lol some of the other bots do dumb shit to under 60. Plus if you box and use bots they tend to disband if you zone so,then you gotta resummon rebuff blah blah. But they come in handy sometimes so it's whatever for me
Old 02-15-2017, 06:00 PM
vkrr
Sarnak

Thanks for the feedback guys. I went through a love/hate kiss/kill period with bots.

I started by having mercs, then transitioned to bots, and now I'm leaning back toward mercs, or removing the assists all together. Either way, its one of those things I'll probably struggle with for quite a while still. We may see periods of botlessness in the future, but for now (at least until we get a reasonably stable population) I'll leave the bots in. If i get more feedback on removing bots, I will considering moving in that direction.

I think once I I finish my current checklist of 30 or so odds and ends, I'll take another look at the bots and maybe make them less comparable to players, to encourage grouping, before slowly phasing them out.

In regards to the equipped items on mobs, there are some items that show up, and some that don't. I think I'm okay with knowing which mobs have weapons equipped (at least right now) - but I'll very much consider making them hidden.

Thank you guys for all your awesome feedback!

(Now if I could figure out this spell damage issue...)

edit: after some consideration I've decided to set the bot limit to 1. I feel this is a good compromise for the time being.

edit edit: I think I should mention,ROF2 is the only officially supported client here, though you can probably work with sof/sod/hot/whatever - titanium wont work though
Old 02-16-2017, 07:19 AM
mjbcb0717
Hill Giant

Server is pretty dang fun I must say something new you don't see every day here. I shall keep returning

I would consider putting a teleporter in though or just open up #peqzone cpmmand. and maybe adding some kinda scaleing for melee dmg.
The spell/heal mod I think all you need to do is just go in and change the value of the amount aloud over the defaultcap and it should be fine just make it some huge ass number.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:38 AM
vkrr
Sarnak

There is a rule "Spells:IgnoreSpellDmgLvlRestriction" that needs to be set to true.

I set this to true at about 1100 GST and did a quick reboot of the server.

Burst of flame now does about 180 dmg at level 60+ on my test character, and higher level fire DD spells were doing upwards of 800.

I'm looking into scaling and balancing for melee/caster/hybrid at higher levels - but this spell damage change should help quite a bit.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:20 AM
mjbcb0717
Hill Giant

Awesome glad you found the issue Does that effect healmod to it was doing the same thing as spell damage scaleing was would work then stop after while
Old 02-16-2017, 11:51 AM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

Gonna need to visit bay de pirates, seem to have lost my install.