Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:56 PM
Township EQ
Hill Giant

Default Township EQ - Coming Soon!

Hey everyone.

I've started a project known as the Township.

My server aim is to provide an enjoyable gaming experience with a classic EQ feel, but through customized content. What does this mean? Well..
  • No Buffer NPCs
  • No Teleporters
  • Whole World Will Be Connected Via Zonelines
  • No +1000 HP gear
  • Slow but not too slow EXP rate
  • No Berserkers, Beastlords, Vah Shir, or Frogloks

Content will be challenging and since we have a boxing limit of 2 there will be content that you can just log on and do by yourself, but there WILL be content that is not designed for 2 players (or one person boxing 2).

I've been around EqEMU for awhile playing custom servers and one of my biggest qualms about starting a new one is that I don't truly FEEL like the class I'm playing until I invest the time to getting to a high level. A normal practice for custom servers is to give you a charm with a gate clicky, since I don't want non-casters to be able to just easy gate back to town, I decided to create charms for each class that gives them an ability unique to that class that defines them (warriors get a defensive rune proc, clerics a chance to twincast heals, etc, etc). This charm will stay with you forever and will be upgraded as you progress through my content.

I have already started developing and will have a playable beta decently soon. This is all for now, I will update this thread with more when I can.

You can also head over to my website at http://www.eqtownship.net to keep up with server changes.

Thanks for reading, I hope I can provide and enjoyable experience for some of you.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:04 PM
Kingly_Krab
Administrator

Hasn't this project happened before? Under the same name? I think so, correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:06 PM
Township EQ
Hill Giant

Yep. I had a server before, but it was locked 99% of the time and I wasnt able to get it out of the development stage due to me moving.. Now I'm settled down and can run it in a more stable environment I have lots of motivation to get it up and running.

EDIT: This is completely different than my other one though. I'd like to think this one is done a lot better.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:13 PM
Kingly_Krab
Administrator

Alright, I thought so, I may pop in for beta once that's open.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:27 AM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

If you're from Township Rebellion, Gorn says hi.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:32 PM
Township EQ
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingly_Krab View Post
Alright, I thought so, I may pop in for beta once that's open.
Sure. Once beta is open any constructive criticism would be appreciated. I look forward to it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maze_EQ View Post
If you're from Township Rebellion, Gorn says hi.
I am the creator of Township Rebellion.. I don't remember Gorn.. but I do remember somebody named Maze coming on the server when it was unlocked awhile ago.

Anyways, I just wanted to create this thread to kinda let people know what my server will be about when it's out. I still have a LOT of work to do and I'm going to be taking my time to make sure its as good as possible.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:40 PM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

You obviously aren't from luclin......I was 2nd in command during the velious days...

Old 09-25-2013, 11:23 PM
Township EQ
Hill Giant

Quote:
You obviously aren't from luclin......I was 2nd in command during the velious days...

Ohhhhhh you mean the guild, that was rather stupid of me, I thought you meant my server.. I skimmed over the post because I was at my GFs house an she was rushing me off the computer.. I'm from Povar, the only time I've ever met TR peeps is during the SoF beta I grouped with a few people from that guild once.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:23 AM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

I learned how to grow the fuck up from being a Townie.

It was either you do what you're told, or you're finding a guild that is 15 steps behind townie.

Old 09-26-2013, 05:11 PM
notknowing
Sarnak

Thumbs up

Sounds awesome. Look forward to trying this out. What gets old in all the custom servers is the linear progression. Only 1 zone for each level range, 1-10, 10-20, 20-30, etc, etc. No replay value.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:41 PM
Township EQ
Hill Giant

Quote:
I learned how to grow the fuck up from being a Townie.

It was either you do what you're told, or you're finding a guild that is 15 steps behind townie.
I think everyone has a certain type of nostalgia from a guild they were in. The times I had in this game is probably one of the biggest things that keeps me around EQEMU. I'm only 19 years old, I literally grew up playing this game and watching my dad play it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notknowing View Post
Sounds awesome. Look forward to trying this out. What gets old in all the custom servers is the linear progression. Only 1 zone for each level range, 1-10, 10-20, 20-30, etc, etc. No replay value.
Exactly.. I am trying to stay away from the whole spawn in the nexus/surefall glade/guild lobby talk to a teleporter grind to 70/75/80 and start straight into tier progression. I want this to be immersive and to actually not be a straight grindfest to max level.. that's why I implemented the class charms, and I am still creating custom spells to try and make the leveling up experience actually enjoyable.. THEN I will worry about my high end.

EDIT:

Also, I just started on the first dungeon, which is Qeynos Catacombs, (since Qeynos is the hub). It's designed to be grouped by players level 5+. For those who hate the zone, dont have friends to group with, like to faceroll content, etc.. Qeynos hills will also be available for those 5+ as a solo thing.. There will be minibosses in the hills that will roll solo players though. From Qeynos hills and blackburrow is where I plan to branch the world out.. (Surefall Glade/Karana/Halas) zonelines will all go to places that are not Surefall Glade/Karana/Halas.

I've only just begun the Catacombs but it's looking decent so far.. It will actually require someone with a pulse to pull mobs for you or you WILL get slammed by pathers.

Teaser screenies for those who care:

http://eqtownship.net/hubteaser1.png
http://eqtownship.net/hubteaser2.png
http://eqtownship.net/hubteaser3.png
http://eqtownship.net/dungeonteaser1.png
http://eqtownship.net/dungeonteaser2.png

Note: I did try to keep Qeynos as simple as possible so a simple change of models was all that was needed.. Oh and I kept Fippy.. cause everyone loves to kill Fippy.

Guardsman Keliron as seen in hubteaser2 will give you subtle hints on where you can go and things you can do.. He is scripted to respond to you by level so he will always be relevant.. Also, quest NPCs do not have saylinks or any of [this] so you will actually have to have a conversation with them to get anywhere. They also tend to say a different thing each time you hail them, so make sure you are thorough!

DOUBLE EDIT: I have left the server open and put it higher up on the list so if anyone would like to poke around they can. Things are obviously unfinished but its obvious what is customized and what isn't. By the time I am finished there will be NO PEQ database NPCs in the hub. It will be locked as soon as I get home from work tomorrow and start work on it again.. Enjoy.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:50 AM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

For some strange reason, this server is saying.."Play me hard as fuck"

Old 09-27-2013, 03:50 PM
Township EQ
Hill Giant

Quote:
For some strange reason, this server is saying.."Play me hard as fuck"
Heh.. I hope everyone enjoys it, I just wanna do something a little bit different.

Also, I'm not too knowledgeable on custom spells so as of right now it's a bit of a learning process.. I plan on editing some of the class charms.. I'm also trying to find a way to make you proc spells by casting a spell.. I have a few ideas on how to achieve that and I'll be working on it after I finish with the Catacombs and get Qeynos more populated.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:16 PM
Drakiyth
Dragon

This has a good vision, Township. Best of luck with it.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:07 PM
Township EQ
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakiyth View Post
This has a good vision, Township. Best of luck with it.
Thanks Drak, I appreciate it.

Anyways...

Qeynos Catacombs are officially finished.. I did some testing last night with 3 people and trash is easily doable for experience bot bosses DO require an actual group.

Some random info:
  • level 5+ group dungeon
  • 3 quests associated with this zone
  • trash have a small chance to drop bane damage to undead weapons.
  • trash have a small chance to drop 2 pieces of each type of loot (plate/chain/leather/cloth)
  • 4 bosses
  • hotzone EXP bonus

now to break down boss loot a bit:
  • Each boss has 5 items unique to each specific boss and will drop 1 each kill
  • Boss will drop 1-2 pieces of "newbie" gear that is found in qeynos
  • Bosses will drop 1 weapon and 1 piece of armor from trash

Now I'm going to be finishing Qeynos and adding spell vendors, and just random hub junk... After that I will be customizing qeynos hills which will be a solo zone for levels 5+.

Thanks for reading.