Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:56 PM
OhhWell
Fire Beetle

Default Another "Cannot connect" help thread

Ok, so, I have done a search and read through the other threads asking for help when the client cannot connect to the login server and I am still at a brick wall. Here is what I have boiled it down to however. I can ping www.eqemulator.net and .org but I get a timeout when pinging login.eqemulator.net. Here are the tracert's for the www and login:

http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps26d81b7b.png

Odd huh? It looks like I am timing out at hop 17 in the www tracert assuming that the routing is the same that far in. Does anyone have any idea why on earth that would be? Is Choopa.net the hosting company where the login server is parked?

Thanks for any that can help; I am dying to try EQ again after so many years!
Old 06-04-2014, 11:27 PM
lerxst2112
Demi-God

It isn't uncommon for ping or tracert to fail at some point before the destination. Many sites have it blocked. For what it's worth my tracert stops at the same place yours does and I don't have issues. I'd check for your firewall/router blocking things.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:09 AM
OhhWell
Fire Beetle

I have never had ping or tracert blocked like that and especially not to a server who's troubleshooting advice has been to ping and tracert. Also, why would it consistently fail to login.eqemulator.net and not www.eqemulator.net.

I just assumed it was understood that i already tried all other normal troubleshooting including restoring the router and even setting the computer as dmz. Software firewall is disabled.

Can someone who has no trouble connecting run a tracert to login.eqemulator.net and see what happens? Although I may have come off as dismissive to the suggestion that it could be blocked by that server, you cant just blow off any angle when troubleshooting.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:55 AM
lerxst2112
Demi-God

There is nothing odd about one machine blocking ping and traceroute and another not blocking it. The common reason is to keep the network topology behind that router private or to mitigate some forms of ddos attacks.

If you don't believe me feel free to try and traceroute from here, you'll get the same result.
http://centralops.net/co/

Here is some more info:
http://serverfault.com/questions/255...m-and-ebay-com
http://superuser.com/questions/27895...-traceroute-it

What client are you using? Does it give an error or is the list just blank?
Old 06-05-2014, 08:40 AM
OhhWell
Fire Beetle

I am running Titanium version if that is what you mean by the client and was trying to get on the Project 1999 server. My EQ host is pointed to

[LoginServer]
Host=login.eqemulator.net:5998

I followed the P99 install instructions to the T. When I run EQ, it sits at a small "Patching Everquest" box that just reads "connecting" for a while then gives me the Cannot establish a connection, contact SoE etc box.

If my understanding is right, that means that I am just not connecting to the Login Server right?
Old 06-05-2014, 10:35 PM
lerxst2112
Demi-God

P99 is complicated by the client modifications they require to be able to connect. You should probably post for help on their forums since they are more familiar with the issues that can arise.

I would try a completely unmodified Titanium client and see if that works to connect to somewhere like peq to eliminate if you have a global problem or a P99 problem.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:12 AM
OhhWell
Fire Beetle

Well, it did start working and I am not sure completely why. Interestingly, I could not connect to PEQ with a stock titanium BUT , I also could not connect to SoE live with their web install either. I have kept separate installs for all attempts. Then, I pulled a torrent that claimed to be a titanium install preconfigured for P99 and I was able to connect right away. Interestingly, live and PEQ connected as well so I don't know if coincidence and something odd with my ISP and/or DNS was involved.

Anyway, thanks for the help. I didn't want to be a post for help and run. Anyhow, I'm currently quite enjoying playing again after 12 years.