Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 07-30-2021, 05:11 PM
iseeyou
Fire Beetle

Default Nostalgia With Brother

Hi All,
I recently randomly looked up the kelethin soundtrack and it made me reminiscent of the time my brother and I played Everquest when we were children.

We were only allowed an hour a day on weekends each and only had one account to play on. We always wanted to play together but our family couldn't afford it. We were also playing on another friend's account.

We're much older now and I want to set up a server to play with my brother and advance through everquest classic (No Kunark or any other expansion) Basically be able to do what we wanted to do when we couldn't afford it.

A little background, I am in technology and run my own servers so I am familiar with technical jargon and the installation (hopefully). My question is, before I start the setup, will I be able to play original everquest with the original database? Is there one provided?

I'm talking no mods, no customizations, pure server with all the content for when I was 11 years old. We want to be able to experience what we missed out on. Quests, NPCs, Zones.. etc.

Thanks everyone and appreciate your responses!
Old 07-31-2021, 03:16 PM
Quientus
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by iseeyou View Post
Hi All,
I recently randomly looked up the kelethin soundtrack and it made me reminiscent of the time my brother and I played Everquest when we were children.

We were only allowed an hour a day on weekends each and only had one account to play on. We always wanted to play together but our family couldn't afford it. We were also playing on another friend's account.

We're much older now and I want to set up a server to play with my brother and advance through everquest classic (No Kunark or any other expansion) Basically be able to do what we wanted to do when we couldn't afford it.

A little background, I am in technology and run my own servers so I am familiar with technical jargon and the installation (hopefully). My question is, before I start the setup, will I be able to play original everquest with the original database? Is there one provided?

I'm talking no mods, no customizations, pure server with all the content for when I was 11 years old. We want to be able to experience what we missed out on. Quests, NPCs, Zones.. etc.

Thanks everyone and appreciate your responses!
In short, the answer would be no.

If you only want to play original (Classic, atleast to me is Original + Kunark + Velious), you will need to do some coding changes on your own, if you want a fully "classic" server ...

The closest thing on Emu to a pure classic server is p99 and they don't share their database as far as I know ...
Old 07-31-2021, 06:53 PM
iseeyou
Fire Beetle

Ah thank you for the response, that's a shame.

Is there any way for us to experience game with all the same quests? I just want to start off where we left off. We had started in faydark, did crushbone, took the boat and level in west commonlands, went to oasis, and then were doing gnolls? In the karanas.
Old 07-31-2021, 08:26 PM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by iseeyou View Post
Ah thank you for the response, that's a shame.

Is there any way for us to experience game with all the same quests? I just want to start off where we left off. We had started in faydark, did crushbone, took the boat and level in west commonlands, went to oasis, and then were doing gnolls? In the karanas.
it is possible, given you will put time into it - we talking about from weeks to months of work depending on how exact you want this to be.
If you only care for basic things like - does Batwing Quest in Kaladim works? Its probably already there. If you care about - wherever specific named lev 32 mod has exactly 3571 hp and always drops item X - those things may need to be fine tuned.

It took Project99 team (which had about dozen people) around 5 years to make it EXACTLY HOW IT WAS. But if you less picky than they are - you could probably have 80% close in only few days.

Or simply start playing on P99 - the new server (Green?) and see how it works for you
Old 07-31-2021, 08:46 PM
Huppy
Demi-God

Your best bet may be the Firiona Vie server. Tons of hours put into that one.

https://fvproject.com/index.php/Main_Page
Old 08-02-2021, 07:42 PM
iseeyou
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosSlayerZ View Post
it is possible, given you will put time into it - we talking about from weeks to months of work depending on how exact you want this to be.
If you only care for basic things like - does Batwing Quest in Kaladim works? Its probably already there. If you care about - wherever specific named lev 32 mod has exactly 3571 hp and always drops item X - those things may need to be fine tuned.

It took Project99 team (which had about dozen people) around 5 years to make it EXACTLY HOW IT WAS. But if you less picky than they are - you could probably have 80% close in only few days.

Or simply start playing on P99 - the new server (Green?) and see how it works for you
The former rather than the latter is more important to me!

We're hesitant to join another server because I feel like we won't get that feeling of starting a game full of unknowns. We'd encounter a lot of people who have been through the horse and pony show a few times and arent around to smell the flowers.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:36 PM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

Another thing to mention - Classic EQ is HARD. If its going to be just 2 people playing, even with perfect set up like Warrior + Cleric or Monk + Shaman, you going to hit a brick wall at around lev 40.
There are mobs and places you can't break in without a full group. And of of course raid mobs are out of the question
So you know what you getting yourself into
Old 08-03-2021, 01:38 AM
Chrysocome
Fire Beetle

play on p99 red, use /roleplay, and turn of ooc. you're very unlikely to run into anyone for quite awhile.
Old 08-03-2021, 11:11 AM
Sturm
Hill Giant

Just come on over to Imperium.

Don't take any hand-outs from the players willing to do so and enjoy a relaxed experience while you journey through the old world.

You'll be able to easily duo with your friend as any class combination while exploring at a leisurely pace all the way upto the Gates of Discord.

Trust me, you're going to like it here. 100% guarantee or your money back (you didn't pay any money and don't need to. heh)

The nostalgia is real!
Old 08-04-2021, 12:19 AM
gnukesa
Fire Beetle

Default who cares?

or if you 2 want to run around just the 2 of you, create your own server, and self restrict yourself to original. the rules are set up so no one breaks them and uses stuff from future expansions when they shouldn't.

You two can self govern yourselves. When you feel like playing somewhere new go to kunark, when that gets tiring go to velious. have fun and explore.

go to p99 and just self regulate yourselves. it's fun.