Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:08 AM
c0ncrete
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drajor View Post
Did I take it the wrong way? Yes :p I look at your post count, then at mine and wonder if I would be jaded too heh.

In regards to making things easy and a persons drive to understand how things work etc. I think thats a hard one. For me I would love to lower any barriers to entry for server development. We may end up with more posts with scripting issues as you suggest.
i'm not claiming to know everything about perl or the quest interfaces. i never stop learning and i absolutely love it.

sometimes i have no problem with telling someone they are doing it wrong, even if it's working. others, i just let it slide as it's not worth the headache... but then i can't help but feel responsible when they teach someone else how to do it wrong.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:57 PM
wolfwalkereci
Discordant

Do something on the wiki or its going to fail.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:11 AM
rhyotte
Hill Giant

Trev,

I think I seen you say you rebuilt using Squeeze right? Any linux tut would be nice. I personally prefer Fedora, but linux is mostly linux and with a guide to set down the Must Haves it becomes much easier to work it out.

Thank you in advance
P.S. I seen where Fedora 19 plans to change to MariaDB, and other distro's seem to be looking in that direction... any thoughts for EMU to officially head that way as well?

Last edited by rhyotte; 01-23-2013 at 02:15 AM.. Reason: Add in P.S.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:50 AM
KLS
Administrator

Given that it a (almost completely) binary compatible drop in replacement for MySQL there's nothing really stopping you from using MariaDB right now if you really wanted.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:43 AM
rhyotte
Hill Giant

Thanks KLS. On my last server I actually did use MariaDB and it seemed to do pretty well. From what I have been reading here recently MariaDB might begin to diverge a bit from Oracle. This is why I was asking, just in case.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:13 AM
Drajor
Developer

http://www.eqemulator.net/wiki/wikka...rConfiguration

This is a great example. One page, dedicated to one step of the configuration process.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:48 PM
bristle
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drajor View Post
http://www.eqemulator.net/wiki/wikka...rConfiguration

This is a great example. One page, dedicated to one step of the configuration process.
well i will use this server configuration to start off. there are a lot of questions of course but i want one that is for Fear client (steam). eventually i want PEQ database including moving mobs in the Fear expansion, having bots, etc.

right now i will use Rev2214 without bots, then using bots.

i know that most open source is always changing and the documents never get done. the opposite should be true.

i am not the best writer around, but i can try. it will be Fear-base, Rev2214, 32-bit, the right database, maps, etc, and for windows 7. others can write what they need for macs, linux, and even for iphones. it wont be a wiki, but someone else can convert for wiki here. or maybe do a rewrite. it will be on:

http://misfits.mischiefworks.net/index.php?board=142.0

or

http://misfits.mischiefworks.net and category EQEmu Server

if you find other categories, ignore them. they are meant for other people.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:41 PM
lerxst2112
Demi-God

We're at 2444 right now. If you write a guide based on 2214 then it's already out of date.

If you're going to write it, why wouldn't you put it on the wiki? If you don't then you're just perpetuating the same problem with the other guides that people constantly complain are out of date even though they all contain all the steps you need to get things working. You might have to search a bit if a process has changed, like the addition of CMake, but the steps are all the same.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:30 PM
orionsun
Banned

Still think its retarded to fragment that kind of stuff~
Old 01-23-2013, 08:33 PM
bristle
Sarnak

so far i have activeperl 5.12 32bit/5.14 64bits
mysql 5.0.67 32bit (should be 5.0.8?)
cmake 2.8.10

i have two database .sql files. that doesnt seem to be complete
i have a complete maps including the fear expansion that i used for live
i dont know if i need my spells from live or the emulator has it already

give me a starter for bin. 2214, 2444, or something else that includes Fear expansion and bot support. i can cmake one, if needed.
give me a starter for db.

after i get a successful build then i will think about where i will put the documentation. right now, its a starter for me but will require a rewrite.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:56 PM
bristle
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by orionsun View Post
Still think its retarded to fragment that kind of stuff~
i think an installer would take most of the problems away. one time eqemu had an installer. it wasnt well known, but a few had it and all you had to do is simple changes for the configuration. an installer would check what you had and even get you the stuff you need.

opensim has soas for standalone server that has everything you need: server, apache, mysql and you only need to start or stop the servers. its use localhost but some people can change the configuration for more regions, more prims, and set to external IP. since its for flash drive, most people dont change their IP.

now if i could do an installer, i would try that for EQEmu.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:57 PM
lerxst2112
Demi-God

If you're going to write a guide, then you'll need to learn to compile the server. Perhaps you should start with another guide and update as you find issues. All the steps are the same as long as you don't get too attached to specific filenames.

1) Install prerequisites, Perl and MySQL.
2) Get source code and compile it
3) Get database, source it, update it to match the source code you just compiled.
4) Make a server directory, copy all the necessary files there, update the quests/plugins/maps from SVN.
5) Edit the config file, run the server, and be happy.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:10 PM
c0ncrete
Dragon

binary packages / installers have a nasty habit of not being kept up to date.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:02 PM
bristle
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0ncrete View Post
binary packages / installers have a nasty habit of not being kept up to date.
you are right. in opensim we have a development team that is working on server itself. then a person builds a special for those that want to not deal with everything. then another team builds one for a certain grid. then a person build the soas usb version.

so i got BitRock to give me a open source license yesterday for EQEmu. its for all OSes so that is good. i also want to find someone that can take EQEmu and put in all inside a container, like soas. the only thing soas doesnt include is the client because there are too many clients. but it is easy to set up the client.

I think the Fear expansion should be the new baseline. everyone should download the steam F2P because it wont last that long but long enough until the next release.

so i am going to work on getting EQEmu to Fear as best i can. also i am going to work on a usb version. and of course the document for it.

so far, i have all the external programs that i need: perl, mysql and installed. i have 2444 and compiled it. i have peqdatabase-Rev2294 and peqquest-Rev2294. of course there is no Rev2444, but i will deal with that later.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:09 PM
lerxst2112
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bristle View Post
i have peqdatabase-Rev2294 and peqquest-Rev2294. of course there is no Rev2444, but i will deal with that later.
Yes, there is. It's what you have once you've sourced 2294 and applied all the updates.