Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:13 PM
bristle
Sarnak

Default EQEmu + opensim

no, i am not asking for help.

i have been in and out of EQEmu since the early day but now i spent my time with opensim.

actually my goal is to do a second life/opensim + EQemu. i like unity and even panda3D but everyone that has tried in for second life has gone and there is no source available.

in opensim you get streaming, plastic nature of buildings and objects, collada, and an avatar that you can load with additional animations, hair, clothes, and other objects. not too good with npcs though.

in EQEmu , you get a game with their own formats. you get npcs and mobs and some animations (builtin). also in EQEmu you get zones, more than one, and can load another zones if needed. in opensim you get a region or megaregion and hypergrids where you can connect to other grids.

in opensim a region is 16 acres (256x256) with a 7' 2" man.
i think the new metaregion is from 4 regions to 256 regions. i dont know how to translate that for a zone.

anyway, its a lot of work to do any client. when you combine two things, it is 4x work. but i went to EQ live in 1999 and still there today.

so my goals are:
1. get EQEmu up and running

thats all. the rest i can do with 3rd party client and opensim. have one that is 4-region at osgrid, one that is on kitely, and some i have for my personal use.

i have done something similar before -- all failed.

oh, in case you are wondering, previously i was madborg and helping the newbies out with their servers. then one day some in the forum asked about macroquest and i answer there was a link to the one that worked for the EQEmu. then i was banned. thats why you have a sticky now about macroquest. i thought it was a good testing tool.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:40 PM
Drajor
Developer

Heya Bristle. It is hard to tell what you are talking about! I see you like full stops. You are not against using a comma from time to time. You hate capitalisation :p

On a serious note, have you checked out Ogre3D?
Old 01-26-2013, 04:22 AM
bristle
Sarnak

yes i like full stop. it part of my stroke and give me time to think. as for capitalization, i stopped that when i was maddog in the 1990s. then madborg for a couple of years, then i became bristle (based on bristlebane god of course) when i was posting in an adult site. at the time i had a forum called bristle mischief (about 2004).

but yes, i have checked on ogre. and then is a wrapper in c#. i like ogre a lot but i cant use it. it has it own graphics format and you have to use blender with the addon for it. or write you own converter.

i used panda3D too. its python/c++. they had their own graphic format but if you know how to write a routine from your format to their, then its ok. they have a gui that you can addon.

overall, everyone has THEIR way of doing things and nothing really works without a lot of effort. for example, an intel programmer is still working on bullet for opensim but the sl client uses physX. so the 3rd parties clients have to know if they are connect to sl or opensim because only sl can use physX.

...and so on.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:25 PM
bristle
Sarnak

right now the rest has to do with graphics, so i will add my post there,
http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=33432