Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:45 PM
below9k
Fire Beetle

At least this few day long break will throw off some hardcore campers spawn timers on mobs which they dont feel like sharing :P
Old 08-30-2010, 03:12 PM
kill_Aes_Sedai
Fire Beetle

9 pages of whining and why this hard drive? you could use this one etc etc. EqEmu is free ALL of it but cave dudes rogean and quite a few other developers time is not free in order to run these servers they have to take time out of their busy lives ( or maybe not so busy... but who cares) we should send them money to just pay for their time that goes into this project so that we can even play. yet, thats not what we do. Instead we make a 9 page thread of crap that i have to scan through to find any information about the server. These people arent even asking for donations for the countless days of programming that has gone into bring your peq and eqemu... they are asking for donations to help provide a server that is more stable for the players. so when shit like this happens they can get the server up and running SO YOU the player can get back to playing all that much faster. Donate for their time. Donate for the server. Or choose to play on the server for free. Whatever you decide to do stop complaining and whining.
To clear one thing up i do not know much about servers but i do know that once the new server is up and running we are going to be hosting PEQ and something else on it. The other thing will pay for peq to be hosted for free saving everyone a lot of money and allowing donations to go to better uses. Hopefully something nice for the developers.
Darthal
Old 08-30-2010, 04:26 PM
Mghargh
Fire Beetle

Maj'Qah!<cool>
Old 08-30-2010, 04:54 PM
Maladien
Fire Beetle

I've already made a hefty donation, but I'm going to up the ante a bit here.

I'm going to match donations in $100 increments for the next two weeks or until the target amount has been reached, which ever comes first. So if you donate $100 I'll donate $100, if 4 ppl donate $25 each, I'll donate $100, if you donate $200, I'll donate $200, etc etc....

This doesn't include Gaeorns $1000 donation he's promised! Sorry Gaeorn, I make good money, but even this is going to strain my budget a bit depending on how much this encourages others to donate. I think it's worth it though or I wouldn't make the offer.

This matching program is effective today. I'll match all donations made on 8-30-2010 to 9-13-2010 to help get the servers we need.

I'm hoping this will encourage the rest of you to dig deep and make a donation. Also, depending on the response this generates, I might extend the offer. This is your chance to make a difference folks. Time to put up.

I'm pretty sure donations go to cavedude00@gmail.com on paypal.com, I'll let Gaeorn chime in here to confirm that. At least, that is where my last donation went to.

And for those of you making alternate suggestions on hardware, I'm sure the intent is good, but like Gaeorn said, they discussed it quite a bit, it's been decided already. I've looked at the list of hardware and it's a very solid and expandable setup and I know what I'm talking about as I've spent many years in IT, from a basic tech when i started out up to managing an 800 workstation call center (the IT portion of it, not the center itself). Even though I don't do that work anymore, to stressful.

Those of you complaining about down time, start contributing to the code base or make a donation to get the hardware needed, either that or stop your whining. All you are doing is discouraging those folks who are putting a lot of their own personal time and finances into a project that you are deriving free entertainment from. Try doing something about it instead of talking about it. ie donate code, money, or constructive bug reports that helps the coders.

Personally, I highly appreciate all the people who have put a lot of work into making eqemulator what it is today. Thank you, All of you.

Ok, off to grab a bite to eat then back to Mafia II. (whimper)
Old 08-30-2010, 05:17 PM
war_master11
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mghargh View Post
PLEASE War Master, bother to read the other posts on this subject Before you comment. The present server belongs to the person who originally set it up. He is no longer active. He is out in Colorado while the people presently running it live on the east coast. Those running it now are Trying to come up with the funds for a New server that they Will have access to. The new setup will cost around $4k & are asking for donations as it is a bit much to come out of their own pockets to run what is essentially a free game server.

What I'm trying to say is FNW should designate at least 1 or 2 developers as contact points with the hosting company. Right now it seems FNW is the only one that can talk them, why not let CD or others speak on his behalf?!

At this point, we don't even know what the hell is going on other than CD has contacted FNW. Has FNW even made contact yet with the host server? Or is the hosting server just keep delay the request for some reason??
Old 08-30-2010, 05:30 PM
gaeorn
Developer

Yes, the correct address to donate to is cavedude00@gmail.com.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:45 PM
VoodooChild
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by war_master11 View Post
What I'm trying to say is FNW should designate at least 1 or 2 developers as contact points with the hosting company. Right now it seems FNW is the only one that can talk them, why not let CD or others speak on his behalf?!

At this point, we don't even know what the hell is going on other than CD has contacted FNW. Has FNW even made contact yet with the host server? Or is the hosting server just keep delay the request for some reason??
Great point, obviously best case scenario would be the ability to directly contact someone who can touch the server. I'd imagine this has been addressed already?

Maladien, that's a great gesture.

Admins and those who give their time and resources to the Peq server, thank you. It's a great setup with the website, magelo, database etc. etc. I know I'll play on this server for the foreseeable future.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:17 PM
kill_Aes_Sedai
Fire Beetle

Alright, Gaeorn made it very clear, but im going to go into it in more detail. The server is in Co. it is being hosted for FREE by a company FNW worked for. Cavedude asked FNW to put in the request to restart the server (which everyone was HOPING would fix the server) now im pretty sure a request was made days ago and the server has been restarted. There are many problems that can happen to a server that a simple reboot will not fix. Someone will have to go and physically diagnose and fix the problem. You cant expect cavedude to call the company and get them to diagnose and fix a server they are hosting for free. So it falls to FNW since he is the only one even close to the area the server is. This man works and has his own life and is clearly very busy. So we have to wait till he gets a break in his very busy life to go and fix a server that he no longer even runs. Is everyone starting to see why PEQ needs a server that atleast someone who is still actually working on the server to be able to fix and work on it. This is not simply a problem calling FNW or calling the company and asking for a restart is going to fix. Im sure this is comething that all the developers of PEQ have thought a lot about to create better stability to PEQ as a whole and this is the solution they came up with. If it was as simple as having FNW say hey, this is cavedude if he calls and ask to reset the server he is speaking for me(FNW) then im sure we wouldnt be having this problem right now. PEQ needs a new server.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:10 PM
badplayer
Sarnak

Since the server is still down, I'm guessing Cavedude sent an email to FNW about the server and FNW never bothered to read it and nobody ever called the hosting company for reset.....that would be my best guess.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:58 PM
gaeorn
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by badplayer View Post
Since the server is still down, I'm guessing Cavedude sent an email to FNW about the server and FNW never bothered to read it and nobody ever called the hosting company for reset.....that would be my best guess.
You'd be wrong, but that's ok.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:23 PM
TheDonkey
Fire Beetle

Quote:

And for those who continue to do it...

Old 08-30-2010, 08:39 PM
Maladien
Fire Beetle

Quote:
This is just a wild guess, but.. you didn't read page one of this thread...
Old 08-30-2010, 08:50 PM
war_master11
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kill_Aes_Sedai View Post
now im pretty sure a request was made days ago and the server has been restarted.

There are only 3 possibilities

1. like you said, Host got the message, rebooted the server, but the server did not come back up

2. Host has been contacted, but has not reboot it yet for whatever reason

3. FNW has not yet contacted the host, either did not read the msg from CD or just too busy with other stuff (vacation maybe?) and put it off.

Which one do you think is the most likely case?
Old 08-30-2010, 08:54 PM
Fatboy5706
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kill_Aes_Sedai View Post
Alright, Gaeorn made it very clear, but im going to go into it in more detail. The server is in Co. it is being hosted for FREE by a company FNW worked for. Cavedude asked FNW to put in the request to restart the server (which everyone was HOPING would fix the server) now im pretty sure a request was made days ago and the server has been restarted. There are many problems that can happen to a server that a simple reboot will not fix. Someone will have to go and physically diagnose and fix the problem. You cant expect cavedude to call the company and get them to diagnose and fix a server they are hosting for free. So it falls to FNW since he is the only one even close to the area the server is. This man works and has his own life and is clearly very busy. So we have to wait till he gets a break in his very busy life to go and fix a server that he no longer even runs. Is everyone starting to see why PEQ needs a server that atleast someone who is still actually working on the server to be able to fix and work on it. This is not simply a problem calling FNW or calling the company and asking for a restart is going to fix. Im sure this is comething that all the developers of PEQ have thought a lot about to create better stability to PEQ as a whole and this is the solution they came up with. If it was as simple as having FNW say hey, this is cavedude if he calls and ask to reset the server he is speaking for me(FNW) then im sure we wouldnt be having this problem right now. PEQ needs a new server.
stop repeating what has been repeated 20 times already you waste my time with this babble

Old 08-30-2010, 09:01 PM
pfyon
Discordant

Do you guys monitor the PEQ server using any performance monitoring software? Specifically thinking CPU usage, disk i/o, network usage, and memory usage. If you don't already, the second box for the new setup would be a perfect place to put some software (ala Cacti), assuming it will be operating 24/7.

It's important to know where your bottlenecks are so you can spend money efficiently when upgrading.