Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Development

Development::Development Forum for development topics and for those interested in EQEMu development. (Not a support forum)

Old 02-14-2013, 06:40 PM
gibroni
Hill Giant

It's been posted for a month for people to grab ROF client from steam on various sites.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:01 PM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevius View Post
This is a bit depressing :P

I am not really sure what to do about this. At this point, we might as well be chasing Live if they keep this up, which is a headache for multiple reasons. Hopefully we can come up with a good solution for this. The best way may be to see if we can simplify the update process as much as possible. Otherwise, we will have to consider what alternatives there are or if it is even worth working on new clients. I still think it is worthwhile to get the RoF client completed, but we will need to figure out what to do about these update issues first.
imho, don't waste your time trying to keep up with every patch
stop at that last version for RoF that already working, and wait till they put up next expansion. That would be logical imho.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:06 PM
demonstar55
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosSlayerZ View Post
imho, don't waste your time trying to keep up with every patch
stop at that last version for RoF that already working, and wait till they put up next expansion. That would be logical imho.
Just they want an easy to obtain client. That is also legal to obtain.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:14 PM
sorvani
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonstar55 View Post
Just they want an easy to obtain client. That is also legal to obtain.
Precisely, otherwise, how would people be able to get said client to play? They couldn't.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:25 AM
wolfwalkereci
Discordant

Then people need to pay attention and get the clients when they are released and before they get patched.
It's not like RoF was a giant surprise, but the players that do not, will not or just refuse to visit eqemu forums / server forums do not deserve to whine that they can not acquire a legal client.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:31 AM
demonstar55
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfwalkereci View Post
Then people need to pay attention and get the clients when they are released and before they get patched.
It's not like RoF was a giant surprise, but the players that do not, will not or just refuse to visit eqemu forums / server forums do not deserve to whine that they can not acquire a legal client.
But most of there driving force behind new client development is to gibe us a legally obtainable client, and I think Trev just likes doing it.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:32 PM
wolfwalkereci
Discordant

Well people should check the emu forum at least once a month.
It's not like the news posts are happening every day so people have no excuse for not being aware of the client.
The client patching people have a excuse for, no way to know if its your first time downloading it if its been patched to something newer then current emu supported version.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:00 PM
Davood
Discordant

People "should" do alot of things. unfortnatelu they don't

one thing you learn when you develop software and systems is that the developers are the only "good" users

you really have to plan systems with bad users in mind
Old 02-15-2013, 02:42 PM
bad_captain
Developer

Or people who have not heard of EQEmu yet. How were they supposed to read a message to download the RoF client when they haven't heard of it yet?

If updates keep coming, then certain versions should be targeted at some interval ( first patch in even months, quarterly, whatever) and work on getting those fully functional , while opcodes canbe updated whenever possible for EQExtractor purposes. If people know to download latest client every two months or whatever, it would be doable. Although if updates keep coming, it might work almost as well to just off of live, pick your interval and go at it. People would need to backup clients at those intervals, which may not work out as well, but something will need to be the official plan and communicated well.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:07 AM
FievelMousey
Hill Giant

Someone needs host the Dec 2012 version on a site like oldversion.com does programs as was free I dont see why someone couldnt do that.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:15 AM
blackdragonsdg
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FievelMousey View Post
Someone needs host the Dec 2012 version on a site like oldversion.com does programs as was free I dont see why someone couldnt do that.
It is not done that way because it would violate more than a few copyright laws.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:16 AM
c0ncrete
Dragon

because sony would slap them with a c&d as soon as they found out.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:18 AM
wolfwalkereci
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_captain View Post
pick your interval and go at it. People would need to backup clients at those intervals, which may not work out as well, but something will need to be the official plan and communicated well.
Thats all I want to see, a communicated interval for client updates that the team will support.
However as long as the original download version from steam works I guess I can't complain.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:21 PM
FievelMousey
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0ncrete View Post
because sony would slap them with a c&d as soon as they found out.
I dont see how as it was a free to get thing they published. If that case why dont the software companies stop oldversion.com etc. And if sony cared dont you think they go after eqemulator site by now as i am sure money they got they win if wanted try. I dont think they care EQ is EOL in there eyes
Old 02-18-2013, 04:02 PM
demonstar55
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by FievelMousey View Post
I dont see how as it was a free to get thing they published. If that case why dont the software companies stop oldversion.com etc. And if sony cared dont you think they go after eqemulator site by now as i am sure money they got they win if wanted try. I dont think they care EQ is EOL in there eyes
Just because the software is free, doesn't mean it's legal to redistribute without a license from the copyright holder.