Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 10-12-2004, 04:28 PM
Lurker_005
Demi-God

Default Cheep new systems from dell, last day 10-13-04

In case anyone is on the lookout for a cheep new system, take a look at http://www1.us.dell.com/content/prod...l=en&s=dhs
they have 2.4GHz celerons for $500 or less with 15"LCD displays

Hope this is useful for someone.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:02 AM
sotonin
Demi-God

Dell has always had 300-500 systems. And let me tell ya, you get what you pay for. lol
Old 10-13-2004, 02:40 AM
animepimp
Dragon

Yeah, just use http://www.pricewatch.com/ and you can get a better system for the same price.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:15 AM
Cisyouc
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonin
Dell has always had 300-500 systems. And let me tell ya, you get what you pay for. lol
My friend recently bought a $1k dell system (dispite my displeasure and advice about Dell). Pretty Nice graphics, processor, harddrive......256mb ram. :|
namespace retval { template <class T> class ReturnValueGen { private: T x; public: ReturnValueGen() { x = 0; }; T& Generator() { return x; }; }; } int main() { retval::ReturnValueGen<int> retvalue; return retvalue.Generator(); }
C++ is wonderful.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:19 AM
sotonin
Demi-God

we bought about 10 dells at my work. some were upgraded to be graphics machines. I'll just say that none are them are worth a crap or able to handle real photoshop use. =\
Old 10-13-2004, 09:46 AM
dark_one
Hill Giant

Default asd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisyouc
My friend recently bought a $1k dell system (dispite my displeasure and advice about Dell). Pretty Nice graphics, processor, harddrive......256mb ram. :|
hmm 1$ for that...

i could get a computer with better (name brand) good parts and everything that i need for under a thousand bucks.

my mom's work ordered all new dells and they arent worth shit for what they paid, i got a brand new computer everything customized that is worth 4 of their computers but cheaper than 1
Liscadipesce
Baron-Sprite
Khan
Skynet
Necromancer Guild

Member of "Free DarkOne from his solitude and deban him from IRC"

Old 10-13-2004, 09:47 AM
Cisyouc
Demi-God

Default Re: asd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_one
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisyouc
hmm 1$ for that...

i could get a computer with better (name brand) good parts and everything that i need for under a thousand bucks.

my mom's work ordered all new dells and they arent worth shit for what they paid, i got a brand new computer everything customized that is worth 4 of their computers but cheaper than 1
I offered to build him the same computer for $600 but hes a brand-name freak.
namespace retval { template <class T> class ReturnValueGen { private: T x; public: ReturnValueGen() { x = 0; }; T& Generator() { return x; }; }; } int main() { retval::ReturnValueGen<int> retvalue; return retvalue.Generator(); }
C++ is wonderful.
Old 10-13-2004, 02:38 PM
monalin crusader
Hill Giant

for $700 i got this

AMD 64 3000+ 1mb Cache
Ram 512mb x2 (Corsair)
Radeon 9600 Pro
Epox Motherboard
2x 80gig Harddrives RAIDED

All name brand stuff very nice performance runs extreamly cool most i've gotten it to is about 40 Degrees Celcius.

I also got everything except the Monitor that means i got a keyboard mouse cd player/burner ect...
Old 10-13-2004, 05:20 PM
Malignus Wingnut
Hill Giant

Dells are just....horrible machines if you want to do anything but browse the internet. My friend has one and its a load of crap.

My New Compy specs:

amd 64 3.2ghz
radeon x800 xt platinum
2g ram
220g hard drive
asus motherboard

Cost ~2k and will probably last for at least 5 years. Dells for the same price are 1/3 as good at most.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:43 PM
maveren
Sarnak

you pay for a waranty
the name is just that backing i know who to call when im pissed
building your own comp is poinless even if you work as a A+ CS rep.

as a sole customer, building is a great way to get exactly what you want, and if you can support it yourself great.
however if you work for a company or goto a school, i would feel alot more comfortable working on a name brand machine, backed by a named, cause chewing someones but who gets paid half what i do on the phone feels a hell of alot better than chewing into someone who makes 6 figures and decides what keyboard i get today :lol:
Old 10-14-2004, 12:51 AM
kidder
Fire Beetle

What's with all the Dell hate? A sub $500 computer with a flat panel monitor is a really good deal. My work is a Dell shop and those machines just run and run. It is dusty and dirty as hell in the shop and warehouse and those machines thrive on the grime it seems.

The el cheapo Dell isn't the best for graphics and games, but it will work in a pinch, and you seriously can't build a better rig for much less...any mid-range system that you might piece together will hit $750 without a monitor/keyboard/mouse.

All that being said, at home I have my home built PC, but for work or family members...I tell them, "Get a Dell Baby."
Old 10-14-2004, 01:14 AM
sotonin
Demi-God

I worked at dell. the reason they are so cheap is because they use shit for parts. they manufacture most their stuff, and it's crap total frigging crap. Their motherboards suck and that is the heart of the computer. Sorry any computer you built by hand with good namebrand parts (with manufacturer warrantee, many times lifetime) KICKS THE CRAP out of any dell, any day hands down.
Old 10-14-2004, 05:10 AM
maveren
Sarnak

i work at LeCroy and you would be damned to find a spec of dust in our shops. ESD invest in preventing it and ill buy a dell. At the price of $30,000 per computer where I work, if we sell one product that is faulty to manufature defect its our butts. People get fired for not having there shirts tucked in, touching boards without standing on a rubber mat, or even touching your hair.
Old 10-14-2004, 05:13 AM
sdabbs65
Dragon

Default Good Gravey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maveren
i work at LeCroy and you would be damned to find a spec of dust in our shops. ESD invest in preventing it and ill buy a dell. At the price of $30,000 per computer where I work, if we sell one product that is faulty to manufature defect its our butts. People get fired for not having there shirts tucked in, touching boards without standing on a rubber mat, or even touching your hair.
I wish Pizza Hut had the same standards im almost afraid to eat there anymore.....ugh..

www.cheaterz.info
Old 10-14-2004, 07:03 AM
Cisyouc
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonin
I worked at dell. the reason they are so cheap is because they use shit for parts. they manufacture most their stuff, and it's crap total frigging crap. Their motherboards suck and that is the heart of the computer. Sorry any computer you built by hand with good namebrand parts (with manufacturer warrantee, many times lifetime) KICKS THE CRAP out of any dell, any day hands down.
Explains why the motherboard busted itself 3 years after purchase (one month after my on-site service warranty wore off)

-edit-
on the Dell I owned anyway
C++ is wonderful.