Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Quests > Quests::Q&A

Quests::Q&A This is the quest support section

Old 01-26-2005, 11:15 AM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

Default Multiple quests per NPC

I am working on creating all the starting quests in Rivervale and I have run into a small problem. Many of the NPCs give out multiple quests and will remember your progress. Meaning, you get a quest from a NPC, complete it, go back to him, and he gives you a new one. Somebody else who had never been to this NPC before would of course get the first quest. How could I do this using our Perl system? Would it be done with globals? Thanks for any help.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:39 PM
RangerDown
Demi-God

Give a couple of examples please. The NPC's involved and if you can, the names of the quests as Allakhazam shows them.

Unless they've been put in recently, no NPC ever actually remembers a previous quest. Character flags for quest purposes didn't go in until PoP, and even then, SOE is very selective in what quests use them since each flag could mean another byte of database space per toon on each server. I can't see SOE using character flags for a low-level quest.

Does this NPC ask you to give him your previous quest's reward along with other handins on the next quest, or require you to use the previous quest's reward in a combine? If so, there are no flags involved, just a clever use of the quest system as is.
<idleRPG> Rogean ate a plate of discounted, day-old sushi. This terrible calamity has slowed them 0 days, 15:13:51 from level 48.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:15 PM
Cisyouc
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavedude
I am working on creating all the starting quests in Rivervale and I have run into a small problem. Many of the NPCs give out multiple quests and will remember your progress. Meaning, you get a quest from a NPC, complete it, go back to him, and he gives you a new one. Somebody else who had never been to this NPC before would of course get the first quest. How could I do this using our Perl system? Would it be done with globals? Thanks for any help.
This can be done using the commands setglobal(); and delglobal();. Search for a post called 'coming soon' in the Quest Q&A forums, probably in the archives by now. Yes, the content of that post has been added to CVS since.
namespace retval { template <class T> class ReturnValueGen { private: T x; public: ReturnValueGen() { x = 0; }; T& Generator() { return x; }; }; } int main() { retval::ReturnValueGen<int> retvalue; return retvalue.Generator(); }
C++ is wonderful.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:34 PM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

Sorry about that, I read the quest site I was looking at improperly. I thought I remembered multiple quests per NPCs back in my EQ Live days but I was mistaken. I probably was thinking of SWG.

Thanks for the confirmation that this can be done, Cisyouc. I will at least impliment this with my custom quests.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:22 AM
RangerDown
Demi-God

There are plenty of NPC's that give multiple quests in EQLive. They just do so in a manner that doesn't involve globals or character flags.
<idleRPG> Rogean ate a plate of discounted, day-old sushi. This terrible calamity has slowed them 0 days, 15:13:51 from level 48.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:13 AM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

Right, they use different keyword triggers or item hand ins to differentiate between the quests. Thanks for clearing the cobwebs out of my brain.

The quests are moving right along now and I hope to release them in the near future. I was going to do Surefall and then Paineel next since those are the other two cities I know best, but does anybody have any requests?
Old 01-27-2005, 12:31 PM
fathernitwit
Developer

if your working on live quests, and your interested in working on the PEQ quest pack, why dont you drop by #npcmovdb and talk to me. We have a lot of private tools which make quest development easier, plus you can get info about velious mobs. The only requirements are that your quests are true to live.