Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:03 AM
Lordfate
Fire Beetle

Default Anti-boxing servers

It seems like so many recent servers are 100% against boxing. The thought process seems to be that if players play multiple characters then they won't be willing to group with other players and the server will die.

What's actually happened is that none of these anti-boxing servers is doing well because they post such low numbers day after day. They intentionally drive away players like myself that enjoy boxing 4 at a time.

I rarely group, true, but I also never play on servers that only allow 1 or 2 characters per IP. I flat out refuse to play on those servers because they are not fun.

Do you think Sony designed their servers to only support players with 1-2 characters? Hell no!!! They wanted as many accounts as possible logged in all the time. They catered to players of all styles. So stop narrowing your user bases and you'll have much more success.

Lately, there are so few innovative servers. The few that are innovative seem dead set against players that box. But we aren't a plague. We don't destroy servers. In fact, we help make them popular.

Do you think any server made it to Legends or Preferred by having 5 people logged in at a time? God no!

So please make your servers supportive of multi-boxers. We aren't evil, we don't destroy servers. We're dedicated players that are bored with the idea of playing just 1 or 2 characters. Seriously, it's boring as shit...

If you want your server to have a chance of being successful, don't hate on boxers. We're players too.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:29 AM
Burningsoul
Discordant

Just go play on Shards of dalaya. you and the three other boxers who have the end game on lockdown will love it.

Or just make your own and call it "Boxers Roxers", then you and 8 other people can permacamp the whole game.

I detest your idea that a solo character is "boring as shit". So take your elitist attitude about how we need to cater to your whims and shove it.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:49 AM
Township EQ
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burningsoul View Post
Just go play on Shards of dalaya. you and the three other boxers who have the end game on lockdown will love it.

Or just make your own and call it "Boxers Roxers", then you and 8 other people can permacamp the whole game.

I detest your idea that a solo character is "boring as shit". So take your elitist attitude about how we need to cater to your whims and shove it.
Relax friend.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:00 AM
Kingly_Krab
Administrator

I'm not sure what server angered you, but that sucks, boxing is something that became very evident in this community, I don't remember 6-8 boxing being common on live. But if you're looking to play a boxing server, you can play EZ or The Hidden Forest, or you could make your own that is a boxing paradise and allow people unlimited boxing and scale content based on that.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:04 AM
Kayen
Developer

Quote:
It seems like so many recent servers are 100% against boxing. The thought process seems to be that if players play multiple characters then they won't be willing to group with other players and the server will die.
It has nothing to do with grouping.

In brief, trying to implement balanced content that accommodates both boxers and non boxers is nearly an impossible task. Ultimately leading the disenfranchisement of the non-boxers leaving you with a server with a high population but low actual player count. This is not what any developer strives for and it is not representative of a healthy server.

Kayen
GM Storm Haven
Old 01-20-2014, 05:22 AM
Shirodan
Fire Beetle

Pretty much what Kayen said,

If you balance a game around boxing then the non-boxing player will not be able to keep up. If you balance the game around non-boxing but allow people to box then content becomes trivial for a single person who boxes.

Disallowing boxing allows for better balance.

That being said, there are plenty of servers that allowing boxing to accommodate those who wish to box.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:33 AM
jakaleca
Fire Beetle

Agree with the OP.

Competent EQ/Emu game design has less to do with catering to boxers (or NON-) than it does simply offering a decent EQ/gaming experience overall.

In EQ1 multi-boxing was a >> reaction << to Sony's arbitrarily increased tier difficulty, unfinished content, and cockblocks and timesinks (Velious Sleeper, SoL, all of GoD), and the subsequent loss of community and overall number of players interested in such a poorly managed game.

Look at the need for shrouds and mercs on live.

Some of you all need to relax; enjoy your low population 1-2 clients per IP clamp, but don't say some of us didn't try ta warn ya. We didn't 6-box your camp or KS your gnoll... we told you the facts; some of us have whole families that play here and we need servers that allow 2-4 or MORE clients per IP, or, well we all just go elsewhere.

~n~p~

/auc WTS Splitpaw Hide Mask 5pp PST
Old 01-20-2014, 01:44 PM
sorvani
Dragon

Quote:

And you obvious elitist attitude is better? Pot meet kettle.

I personally boxed 2 on live from less than I year after I started. I do find solo playing tedious and less fun. Does not mean shit. Everyone has their own preference and there are currently servers catering to pretty much all of them.

That is the point of this project after all. To let people make the servers they want, how they want.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:17 PM
demonstar55
Demi-God

Demanding server operators to run their server a certain way is a little silly. Isn't there like a French phrase that applies here?
Old 01-20-2014, 04:42 PM
Mariomario
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonstar55 View Post
Demanding server operators to run their server a certain way is a little silly. Isn't there like a French phrase that applies here?
I assume you are speaking of 'Oi vey'?

Enlightened Dark: Ascension
Old 01-22-2014, 03:13 AM
xzyphor
Fire Beetle

Why can't we just include boxing but limit it to two characters per IP address. It seems that would make things so much more simple and convenient other than completely ruling out the prospect of boxing in general.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:29 AM
provocating
Demi-God

I allow 2 boxing on Dragons Of Mist [HC], anything past that seems excessive so I stuck with two. Plus it allows someone to have a character in the bazaar selling while they are playing.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:32 PM
wolfwalkereci
Discordant

I keep reading the OP and really can't see why people like Burningsoul react so negatively to it. Btw you might want to double check Shards boxing policy.
Should have referred him to EZ, sound like you came from there and failed at the server.
Sorry that you cant box content, you can always go play on P99 where there are no 'evil boxers' to take all your content...

Kayen really hit it on the head, some servers are just not meant to have the big boxers on it, a 2 or 3 boxer that does content balanced around that figure is fine but someone that can come in and box 12-18-24 in that same content break all scaling on that server. SH forums are a interesting read about how boxing has effected the server.

I think it's why EZ does so well and is a personal favorite server for me. Its dummy proof with no skill required. Push buttons <afk> for the longest and win.

As for the OP: I really can't think of to many servers that wont at least let you box 4. What exactly do you want because I can think of a server type for damn near everyone's taste, except PVP which is stupid in EQ.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:04 AM
Xiggie3
Fire Beetle

When someone comes along and looks at the server list to see what server they may want to play on one of the first things they look at is server population. Saying that server population doesn't indicate a healthy server is talking from inside the box. I don't mean that as an insult. Appearances are everything at first glance and appearance of a high population says to people, 'hey, if a lot of people like it, it must be good'. An anemic population says to people it must not be very well liked. There is also the fear factor of how often servers disappear. You don't usually see a server with high population, boxing or not just up and disappear. And about those boxers and how they inflate server population, do you think they would stick around if the server was unhealthy?

All that being said though I don't think that every server should automatically accept multi-boxing. Supply and demand are strong indicators of what is in demand. By a large margin, most of the long term servers are multi-box servers. Most single box servers just fail to attract the attention needed to retain long term membership. Again it falls back to numbers. I go to log in and I see there is only 15 people on this server, but this other server has 300!

I would absolutely love to see a server like Stormhaven pull the cap off the box limit. I remember when that server started getting into the 100's. Unless my memory is just extremely bad it was largely do to lag that Trev started limiting boxing. I got frustrated with waiting on other people to log in when I was playing and finally just moved on to another server where I didn't have to wait. Trying to find a group was a large part of the reason I left live.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:34 PM
carpediembr
Fire Beetle

Quote:
I detest your idea that a solo character is "boring as shit". .
For me is exactly the oposite.
I played for a bit on EZ server, where people are allowed to box as many as I could see in the zone. I entered this Tier 3 or w/e zone saw a guy boxing 31 chars... I asked if I could join on the last spot and grab any rots... he just said to fuck off and go box...

Like why would you do that? If you are going to box and not play with other players just create your own server and play alone!

In the other hand if the server population is below 50 players and you cant box, the chances are ou will never find a group.

In my honest opinion a max of 2, maybe 3 should be allowed if the server population is low.